KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 11 Jan 2015, 09:36

Re: Town Hall / Siege Workshop

some balance suggestions:
-Make them stronger vs building then vs units
-give them a high miss chance vs units
I think this could be used to also make them tactically different:
If Balistae had
  • extremely low attack versus all units except Catapults (units can dodge, Catapults are not that agile :wink: )
  • low damage to buildings
And Catapults had
  • high damage versus buildings
  • the missile they throw is a single, easily dodgeable stone with high attack versus units but is fired with an extremely low rate of fire (in my opinion it's hard to justify why a hard-hitting stone that is an insta-kill when thrown by towers should do little damage to units... with a low rate of fire, the effective damage they do to troops should be low anyway)
This would put them in a rock/paper/scissors system with Watchtowers:
Balista >(snipes)> Catapult >(destroys)> Watchtower >(is a way better defence than)> Balista

Wouldn't it?

Also, an "ammo meter" could be added to their interface: when it's depleted, they can no longer fire; also, they could get a button that allows the player to ask for Serfs to bring them ammo.
Catapults may use Stones directly; as for the Balistae, I don't know... maybe Tree Trunks?
Or maybe the Siege Workshop could be able to produce ammo from Stones and Tree Trunks, ammo that can't be stored in Storehouses nor bought nor sold at the Market?
(Having it as a special ware exclusive to Siege Workshops should be an easier solution)

And they could employ Recruits, maybe by simply making the Siege Workshop inhabitable by Recruits (with higher priority than Towers) when there are Siege Machines ready: when the Recruit enters the workshop, then the siege machine is actually deployed on the field.
Of course, then these siege machines could actually need to eat from time to time... :P
Just when you think you know something, you have to look at it in another way, even though it may seem silly or wrong. You must try! - John Keating, "Dead Poets Society"
<<

Killer!!

Sword Fighter

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Post 11 Jan 2015, 11:55

I don't see the point why siege weapons aren't balanced?

I mean 1 balista or 1 catapult will cost you 5 iron bars and 5 timber!

Let's do some maths :P

for example:

1 balista = 2,5 crossbowman + 5 bowman (if you have enough leather ofc)
5 balista's = 12,5 crossbowman + 25 bowman
10 balista's = 25 crossbowman + 50 bowman

Maybe you think I prefer to have 10 balista's, who have the possibility to kill an unit with one shot instead of 75 ranged untis, but you have to know that you can have about 3 smithy's working 100% if you have 1 iron bar and 1 coal at each building for example.
If you look at a siege workshop they need 5 iron + 5 timber to make only 1 balista, so you can't have more then 1 (maybe 2) siege workshops at the same time, what means that the speed of making balista's is also alot slower then making normal untis.

And another thing, if you decide to make siege weapons you are problably not able to make other units because the rescources which are needed for a siege weapon are so high that it will slow down your other weapon workshops/smithy's.

Siege weapons are also very hard to keep "alive" or to bring them to the battlefield, because of there speed, which is so slow that they are not very handy to use them in fights.

So I think that siege weapons aren't that powerfull as everyone thinks they are, but idk what you think about this ;)
Do you want to play with/against me? Just write me a PM :D
<<

Esthlos

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 11 Jan 2015, 12:30

As far as I know, 5 balistae can hold off any army forever, if placed behind a base entry, with little to no counterplay whatsoever.
That's why they are considered to be unbalanced: because they're the only unit that if even slightly massed become nigh invincible.
Just when you think you know something, you have to look at it in another way, even though it may seem silly or wrong. You must try! - John Keating, "Dead Poets Society"
<<

thunder

Moorbach's Guard

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 11 Jan 2015, 12:51

there are some possibility to change balance of G units also.
-reduce power-> there wont be 100% damage
-reduce fireing rate->less shouting /minutes
-reducing firing distances (original is 4 to 10 tiles--> 6-10tiles)
-reducing defence points -original 3-4 arrows/hits kills these units->1-2 arrows/hits kills these units
etc.

cost of 1 siege units is 5ironbar +5timber = 2,5xbow +2,5milities
2 SG units = 5xbow+5 milities
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 13 Jan 2015, 16:42

As far as I know, 5 balistae can hold off any army forever, if placed behind a base entry, with little to no counterplay whatsoever.
That's why they are considered to be unbalanced: because they're the only unit that if even slightly massed become nigh invincible.

With AI, yes. But a human player has a much better possibility to counter siege equipment via maneuvers. I think that's worth considering, as many people probably think of siege equipment as they were used against the (very stupid) AI in TPR.
I used to spam this forum so much...
<<

Michalpl

Sword Fighter

Post 09 Mar 2015, 10:07

With AI, yes. But a human player has a much better possibility to counter siege equipment via maneuvers. I think that's worth considering, as many people probably think of siege equipment as they were used against the (very stupid) AI in TPR.
Well AI could be hard if it would build balistas
<<

HellFriend

Recruit

KaM Skill Level: Average

Post 25 Jul 2017, 16:15

there are some possibility to change balance of G units also.
-reduce power-> there wont be 100% damage
-reduce fireing rate->less shouting /minutes
-reducing firing distances (original is 4 to 10 tiles--> 6-10tiles)
-reducing defence points -original 3-4 arrows/hits kills these units->1-2 arrows/hits kills these units
etc.

cost of 1 siege units is 5ironbar +5timber = 2,5xbow +2,5milities
2 SG units = 5xbow+5 milities
Good idea but ill prefer siege unit strong vs building and weak vs units. Witch decrease armor a i dont agree beacause after this nerf os siege unit useless.

Impresive idea which i read was implement town hall unit to castle.

I hope that one day ill sebe this update
<<

thunder

Moorbach's Guard

Post 25 Jul 2017, 20:32

Good idea but ill prefer siege unit strong vs building and weak vs units. Witch decrease armor a i dont agree beacause after this nerf os siege unit useless.
I had this in my mind today again...for me already doesn't matter what way, but would be nice to see them in the game... It can not be OP on the original way... 5itronbars+5timber for one slow undefended unit...rather make 2,5+2,5soilder (2siege units vs 10normal units (5iron+5wooden))
Impresive idea which i read was implement town hall unit to castle.
It is testable in scripted form, you can try out the strategies.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0ZYfN ... 5qVTg/view
I hope that one day ill sebe this update
Me too!
<<

thunder

Moorbach's Guard

Post 26 Nov 2017, 14:33

Return to “Feedback / Discussion”