Searching good Strategy/RPG

<<

pawel95

Castle Guard Swordsman

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Post 23 Jul 2014, 17:10

Searching good Strategy/RPG

Hey guys,

I have finally some free time now and I will be back from my vacations in a few weeks. I need a new Computergame aswell :mrgreen:

I am playing online games like hs/dota/cs or KaM Remake :P but I like to play some Singleplayer campaigns, that are really funny to play and you see new, different things.

My 2 favourite Gametypes are Strategy Games and RPG´s
What I am searching for:

Either

Strategygames, like The Settlers III/IV or KAM. I really like only these "middle Age" topic. I don´t like sth like starcraft (only a few of them were ok).
Though the sad thing here is, that I stopped playing the new games from "The Settlers" or "Heroes Of might a m" because only the old games were cool :P

OR

RPGS, like Witcher 1+2, Dragon Age,Diablo...

I heard that Skyrim is a pretty awesome game, anyone wanna tell me if it is a typical RPG?
Also here I don´t want sth like Aliens or Sci-Fi games :P only these oldschool things.
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 23 Jul 2014, 17:21

Re: Searching good Strategy/RPG

There is nothing more RPG than Skyrim imo :P If you haven't played it then I highly recommend you at least try it so you know what people are talking about when they "quote" it. Personally, I liked Oblivion more; mostly because the UI in Skyrim looks way too modern for a fantasy RPG.

Also, try Fallout: New vegas for a nice RPG. It's in my top-five favorite games because of the freedom of choice in the game. There are so many paths to follow and there is very little influence of what is the "right choice" leaving it all in your judgement.

For strategy games...a really nice old strategy game is Stronghold. The first sequel: Stronghold Crusader is a better choice for multiplayer. Stronghold 2: Legends, and III are badly developed imo. Anyway, Stronghold is a very simple game due to the horrible AI, but it's a very fun castle-building game :)

Most of you saw this coming: AoE!! I love this game. The balance is nearly perfect; especially considering all the variety in the game. It's the true example of what an RTS should be: fast, balanced, variety in tactics, teamwork or solo...just awesome! The single player is amazing, too. The map editor included in the game is simple to use and you can do very advanced stuff with little practice.
I used to spam this forum so much...
<<

pawel95

Castle Guard Swordsman

Post 23 Jul 2014, 17:34

Thank you very much for your post. Haha I knew that you would come out with AOE :P I played this game too much already (Mostly 2nd game, AOE1 wasn´t great for me) also the HD remake and I do not like to play it, because it´s not that fun for me anymore :P

However thanks for the Stronghold idea. I saw some friends playing Stronghold but I never did it myself :D

I think I will buy Skyrim first, anyone bought the "Legendary Pack" ? It costs like only 4 € more here and it includes 3 Add-on´s, if I´m correct? So buying this version is the best choice, i guess!?

Pawel
<<

Vatrix

Council Member

KaM Skill Level: Veteran

Post 23 Jul 2014, 17:39

If you want to buy Skyrim, buy Legendary Edition for sure, there is much more stuff and when you add some mods from skyrim nexus (http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/) it's super game. :wink:
I fixed The Shattered Kingdom and The Peasants Rebellion here!
<<

Shadaoe

Knight

Post 23 Jul 2014, 18:37

For an awesome RPG, try Arcanum. It's on gog and has a high resolution patch to make it enjoyable.
<<

dicsoupcan

Moorbach's Guard

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 23 Jul 2014, 20:27

*cough* hearthstone curse of naxxramas *cough*
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. ~ Winston Churchill
<<

zombie01

Pikeman

Post 24 Jul 2014, 07:01

*cough* hearthstone curse of naxxramas *cough*
true, it is strategy.

I suppose you've already played all age of empires Pawel?
starcraft
warcraft (not WoW, but warcraft)

They say Deus Ex is a good RPG
Dishonored, offcourse.
Final fantasy series
Mass Effect series
Fall out series
Baldur's gate 1 & 2
Torchlight (very much like Diablo for gameplay)
Dark souls
Demon's Souls
Fable 1 & 3 (2 is only for xbox)
The Witcher (I dislike it, but who knows, you might like it)
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 24 Jul 2014, 19:19

Pawel already said that he doesn't like syfy games, especially note that he specifically turned down Starcraft :P

Kind of off topic, but I don't think Dishonored is an RPG. It's more of a Stealth-Action (maybe adventure?) game. In an RPG, you level often level up your character, choose your character, create your character, collect hordes of miscellaneous items, and have many side quests. Dishonored is a linear game. The only difference between Corvo at the beginning and end is that he has experienced some crap and has a few more gadgets. No real RPG elements there.
<<

pawel95

Castle Guard Swordsman

Post 24 Jul 2014, 20:02

Thanks for the posts. Thanks Vatrix for the nice mod(homepage). Thank shad, looks like an interesting game that I never have seen before, maybe I will give it a try after Skyrim :P Yeah zombie, please read the topic better :P It has only one page so far, so take your time, still thank you for your List, but Witcher 1 and 2 are my most favourite games (mostly because of the story, the story from the books is very popular in Poland and small areas of Europe ;) ) and I played already Mass Effect,Deus ex,Dark and Demon souls and Torchligt. I won´t play final fantasy (When I´m not wrong, it the anime/manga thingi :P ) and I won´t play Fall out games also.

Interesting point with Dishonored, but like Ben said it looks like a stealth-action game, like "Thief" :lol:

So thank you guys. Bought skyrim today so it should take some time :P

To Disco: I hate it that most people and also computer magazines put every game (where you have to use your brain a little bit) to the Strategy Topic these days :P I searched for Strategy games on the homepage of the biggest german computer magazine and I got things like Dota 2, League of Legends or some strange Simulators :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
<<

dicsoupcan

Moorbach's Guard

Post 24 Jul 2014, 22:25

haha i actually wanted to troll sinc ei knew you play hearthstone sometimes, if you look for a real strategy challenge: download dosbox, find yourself a copy of the old sid meiers colonization (it's freeware as far as i renmber) and try playing that. it's turn based though.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. ~ Winston Churchill
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 25 Jul 2014, 01:11

Rome: Total War is a pretty fun (and easy-to-learn) strategy game if you're not only interested in RTS.
<<

zombie01

Pikeman

Post 25 Jul 2014, 10:15

The internet has brainwashed me ;(
I only half read stuff nowadays, so much to read.
I'll do my best to better pay attention.

If you like Skyrim then there is the previous elder scrolls games
Morrowind and Oblivion
A few very dedicated people are remaking both in the skyrim engine
http://tesrenewal.com/

and there is an old rpg named neverwinter nights
<<

zombie01

Pikeman

Post 28 Jul 2014, 08:04

My Internet ate my post.
I said: i totally forgot about anno 1602.
You've probably played it already, but if you haven't then it's one of the few strategies that are so similar to KaM
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 28 Jul 2014, 14:13

1602 is an incredible game, but it is very repetitive. I can't play it much more than a week before I have to put it away again for another year :p
<<

ChrisEggII

Sword Fighter

Post 29 Jul 2014, 05:39

Polanie 2 :mrgreen:

Return to “Other Games”