Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

Need help building my city

<<

Tudoracke

Post 13 May 2014, 08:38

Re: Need help building my city

Thanks for the tips..I will try this today. I have one last question. Does placing roads over coal patches destroys it? I always try to maximize coal reserves by starting from the edges of the field and never go towards the middle until the edges are mined out. Thanks guys for the feedback :mrgreen:
<<

cmowla

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Expert

Post 13 May 2014, 09:05

Does placing roads over coal patches destroys it?
You know, I never thought about testing this, but I just did a test run in the editor, and even if you cover coal with roads and then later want to mine the coal, it doesn't destroy it! Even if you build a building, it doesn't destroy the coal either (I first thought it did, but I went to test it to be sure, and it actually doesn't destroy the coal).

In addition, I did a test run on a single coal mine. I put dense coal all around it (and under it), and had him mine to exhaustion, and this is the perimeter for which they mine.
So this can give you an idea of how to space them to have coal mines which last the longest and mine almost all coal deposits.
Invasion won: with 0 losses and without save reloads|TSK 20 in 4.47 minutes|Border of Life Co-op Won in 1h33m55s|The Official KaM Speedrun Page
What makes me an Expert isn't my skill in of itself but my desire to win big.
<<

Tudoracke

Post 13 May 2014, 15:05

Thanks for the checking. I see a strange thing though, that I did not know. The mine uses coals beneath it and 1 square in every direction except to the right, where it uses up to 2 squares away.
<<

Skypper

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 13 May 2014, 15:51

yeah i noticed that to.
never knew that, i always thought it only removed coal one title around the building
Greets Skypper (Totally Insane)

- Beginning map maker -
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Yahoo Messenger: lewinlewinhodgman

Post 14 May 2014, 01:26

The mining distances are all measured from the original game. I'm not sure if the extra tile to the right was intentional or a mistake by the original developers. In multiplayer games building coal mines close to each other doesn't matter so much because games are quite short (some games they don't run out even built right next to each other).
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 15 May 2014, 17:24

Imo, coal mines should mine completely mine all the coal from up to two tiles away ;)
I used to spam this forum so much...
<<

Skypper

Knight

Post 15 May 2014, 17:56

never knew that iron mines, didn't mined all there 10 titels to the max
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greets Skypper (Totally Insane)

- Beginning map maker -
<<

dicsoupcan

Moorbach's Guard

Post 15 May 2014, 22:15

jup, and it is the same with goldmines, so watch out how far you make those veins. :)
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. ~ Winston Churchill
<<

Hellrdier

Post 01 Jun 2014, 12:43

Building a mill during peacetime is a mistake. All corn should "belong" to swine farms only.
When you can play without it (mill), could define yourself as a good player.
<<

pawel95

Castle Guard Swordsman

Post 01 Jun 2014, 13:07

I would say that you are wrong. In general your idea is good and correct, that you should give nearly all corn that you produce to the swinefarm, to have the biggest leatherarmy that is possible.
However since the foodbalance changements on some harder maps, you need really a mill in Peacetime! Mostly you can rush for fishermen and swinefarms and that´s is enough at least for 50 minutes, but on maps where you have no fish for example, you really need to add bread to your infrastructure.

When I watch your photo on your first post, I guess Hellracer wanted to say that you don´t need like 3 mills for sure :D
Also I see sometimes "randoms" making 2 farms, 2 mills and swinefarms last, which is wrong.

I haven´t watched this topic really, but talking about food: You should try to build the "foodhouses" as near as possible to the inn. (Bakery,Butchery). Just imagine that you get a load of 3 sausages every time and you need 3 serfs walking threw your half city, just to get them. Placing the butchers right of the inn (where your swinefam is) would improve the infrastructure.
<<

Hellrdier

Post 01 Jun 2014, 21:50

Sorry, but do you know player: Boby? He does not produce mill. And he does not have food problem during peacetime.
The advantage of that is your leather-weapons amount. You can trade it in case of starving, or build one mill after peacetime.

There is not one winning strategy, but mixing some ideas would be fine for your overall result.

Best.
<<

cmowla

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Expert

Post 01 Jun 2014, 23:04

Sorry, but do you know player: Boby? He does not produce mill. And he does not have food problem during peacetime.
The advantage of that is your leather-weapons amount. You can trade it in case of starving, or build one mill after peacetime.

There is not one winning strategy, but mixing some ideas would be fine for your overall result.

Best.
It's not about how many mills you have or don't have more than it is on the settings you choose for distribution of wares. Having a single mill and setting your mills to receive 1 corn (instead of the default of 5), will not take much corn from your farms, and it will give you some great cushion at a very small price.

In addition, you can always block a mill from receiving corn during times when there is a shortage of corn and you have too much bread.
Invasion won: with 0 losses and without save reloads|TSK 20 in 4.47 minutes|Border of Life Co-op Won in 1h33m55s|The Official KaM Speedrun Page
What makes me an Expert isn't my skill in of itself but my desire to win big.
<<

Tiank

Knight

Post 02 Jun 2014, 07:14

I agree with cmowla, although I set corn distribution for mill at 2, works the best for me :).

I wonder on which maps he plays without a mill. Because as Pawel wrote, it is possible to do it on some maps (where player has access to fish), while it's hard on others. It also depends of amount of starting food. Also, I believe Pawel was writing about strategy when playing at 60PT. I can imagine, that swinefarms only with at least 2 butcheries are enough to avoid hunger at 90PT on most maps.

As for me, I feel more comfrotable, when I have at least 2 types of food during PT (sausage + fish/bread or even vine sometimes).

One more thing, if you're talking about the same Boby as I played with on Frozen Waters once, then he had mill, at 0:40 :). (He's from Slovakia I think).
Without honour, victory is hollow.
<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

KaM Skill Level: Veteran

Post 02 Jun 2014, 07:16

I like mills. And turtles.
<<

pawel95

Castle Guard Swordsman

Post 02 Jun 2014, 08:10

I don't know any Boby and I never geard that he is having no food problems on all maps, the Remake has...

Return to “Strategy Central”