Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

The scout - How far should he see?

<<

Danjb

Sword Fighter

Post 20 Sep 2008, 09:05

Well said, The Dark Lord :)

And your reasons for making the scout's LOS 12 rather than 9 support a mod, not really a patch, as it's not really fixing anything. However, if everyone's up for it then I'm not gonna complain as I don't really play TPR anyway.
<<

Nick

Crossbowman

Post 20 Sep 2008, 10:55

Not exactly true cuz in SR2 the radius was set to 18 (that can be called a mod).
But since we are reducing it back to fit more with the game originals, its more a patch in my opinion...
<<

Michieru

Recruit

KaM Skill Level: Average

Post 21 Sep 2008, 06:26

I voted for 14, because 9 and 12 are too low for a scout and 18 are definitively too much.
<<

Thunderwolf

Crossbowman

Website: http://thunderwolf.freehost10.com/KaMMissionBuilder/index.php

Post 22 Sep 2008, 12:55

9 votes... there surely must be more people around here...

anyways, I guess we all agree that 18 is DEFINETELY TOO MUCH.

the others are with respectively 2, 4 and 3 votes still fairly divided.
~old sig
MissionBuilder v0.9f2 UPDATED!!
Defend The Outer Colony. fight for your king and uncover the secrets of this land.
Temporary version at
http://thunderwolf.x10hosting.com/index.php
"You can't defeat me, I've played Knights and Merchants"
<<

Krom

Knights Province Developer

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 23 Sep 2008, 06:10

Thats best option, a little bit more than everyone else, just a little bit.

I find all these talks about "Scout means large LOS" are quite funny. Especially if you say it was 9 from the start :wink:

I would say we aren't genius to patchmod a game. Split the process. Make patches to fix bugs and make mods to alter game balance :P

I voted for 12 though :lol:
Knights Province at: http://www.knightsprovince.com
KaM Remake at: http://www.kamremake.com
Original MBWR/WR2/AFC/FVR tools at: http://krom.reveur.de
<<

Litude

King Karolus

Post 23 Sep 2008, 13:30

You know, maybe it should be just 9 after all... Though 12 is just the most popular choice so I guess I'll go with it.
<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

KaM Skill Level: Veteran

Post 30 Sep 2008, 19:24

I'd like to add something.

Before SR2, "scout" was translated (Dutch version) as "spion" (which means spy) and not "verkenner" (scout).
I think they called it a spy because it was fast and not too strong. You could easily sneak through defences (you are faster than the soldiers who follow you). The knight is too valuable to try such things with. But, because the spy had no spying abillities, scout was a better name.
<<

Nick

Crossbowman

Post 02 Oct 2008, 16:53

doesnt mean anything...
English and dutch are both based on the german KAM (correct me if im wrong)
if u want a language to be based on, its the german version of the game as the devs were from germany
<<

Tomo2008

Vagabond

KaM Skill Level: Veteran

Post 24 Nov 2008, 14:35

i vote 18, SR2 works well (for me anyway), although why not in between 14 and 18?

hmm
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 16 Jan 2009, 01:00

I voted for 14. It gives the game some taste, and less boring.

If anyone cares, I changed the scouts name to "Light Cavalry" with Lewins LIB decoder. Leather amor is light amor, so...it works :wink:
I used to spam this forum so much...
<<

Juba

Barbarian

Post 19 Feb 2009, 18:40

I agree with nick's values, they're excellent. I only disagree with scout, I think it should be 14.
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 08 Oct 2009, 03:34

IMHO (love saying that now) I dissagree with those who don't like changing KaM. I understand their reasoning but I think that KaM should have more varation. Anyone ever wonder why there are only 16 some units in the game but in games like Rome total war or for a older RTS game like Age of Empires (1) there are like 40+??? I think that it is becasue there was nowhere left to go. MAke iron armor troops with steel armor insted of iron? No wouldn't work. In Age of Empires and ROme Total war each and every soldier has it's own unique characteristics, so it gives the game more flavor. Mostly it is just the coast of the soldier or the time it takes to make him (Which could be counted as making the weapons in KaM) that give the faws and pluses. I think that the scout should have more LOS becasue he is a scout. Why? Well perhaps he is better at exploring and perhaps tracking. He spys the enemy and more! I also think knights, scouts, and Vagabonds should have a charge attack like the foot soldiers but VERY vunerable to standing soldiers. However they gain an attack bonus. This can't be done without the sorce code and we arn't getting that soon so yeah. Anyway I think you should be able to make Battle axes (warroirs and barbarians axes) from a cirtain building and it costs 3 coal and 3 iron. But again sorce code.
I wish that there was more variation in the game. My uncle laughed KaM to scourn when he played it again after all the years of not playing it when he learned how the battle system worked (horses are defended form arrows, can't run away ect.) As anoyed as I was I knew he was right... KaM doesn't have enough variation in it and that's what I believe.
Please give your reasons to dissigree with all or maybe just part of what I have said. I will listen and perhaps agree with you :wink:
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 09 Apr 2011, 19:03

I changed my mind :p
After using SR3, I think 9 is better. Sue me.
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Yahoo Messenger: lewinlewinhodgman

Post 09 Apr 2011, 23:49

I do agree with you that the fighting system could be improved or made more interesting. Hopefully Remakes will make it possible to change these things and make more interesting mods of KaM. For this patch I think the scout shouldn't be changed though.
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 12 Apr 2011, 05:50

I agree that it would be better for a mod to change the troops...or perhaps even the remake.

Still it's pointless now. The scout has been revived back to his righteous original value :D

Which reminds me. Lewin, (I know I could probably find this somewhere else, but I'm so lazy :oops: ) are you still working on voices for SR3/ the remake?

Return to “1.60 Patch (Service Release 3)”