Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

Arcade

Would it be fun to add an Arcade to the forum?

No
No votes
No
No votes
No
No votes
No
No votes

Total votes : 0
<<

T*AnTi-V!RuZz

Former Site Admin

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 02 Dec 2013, 18:06

Arcade

Hi everyone,

A little while ago I was reminded of an old forum I used to hang out. I went back there and noticed they still had an Arcade section in their forum, where I had great fun. I've been considering the possibility to introduce it here. I've asked around in the crew, where the most heard arguments were "It's not KaM related", "I don't mind/care". On the contrary of what a lot of you think, I'm not a dictator. :P That's why I'm trying to find out what our members think of this.

Let me introduce the Arcade.

The Arcade consists of a few (we can choose how many) mostly flash bashed games, like you would find on many online gaming sites. The difference is that it's linked to the forum and its members. Hi-scores will be forum-only and it's possible to win Trophies (by winning games). This is all related to your forum account. You're also able to challenge other members, so you can have some sort of competition with someone.

The Arcade doesn't change anything essential to the forum. It will only appear in the menu, so the forum won't change much. It is possible to show some things on the forum index, but we'll consider that only if we'll implement this. That basically means that if you don't care about the Arcade, you don't have to do anything with it. You'll barely notice it's there, only when visiting someone's profile. The menu's you'll see on the forum index of the demo's I've linked below aren't mandatory, so like I said: it doesn't have to change anything essential to the forum index.

To show you what I mean, you can visit these pages to try it out and see for yourself:

http://phpbbarcade.jatek-vilag.com/arcade.php
http://igames.origon.dk/forum/arcade.php

It has nothing to do with KaM whatsoever (unless someone makes a KaM Flash Game), but I thought it might be fun to implement on the forum to enhance the community experience and it might be fun to kill some time when you're bored. And what better place than to do that here :)

I've left out an "I don't care" button on purpose, because that doesn't really help much. The poll will run for 14 days.

Please explain your opinion, because I'm curious as to why you do or don't like it. If you have any questions, feel free to ask them :)

Tom
<<

dicsoupcan

Moorbach's Guard

Post 02 Dec 2013, 20:37

Re: Arcade

It could be fun to add this to the forum and brag about your highscore in games. But i vote yes under 2 condtions:
- KaM will still be the center of attention;
- burrito bison has to be added. :mrgreen:
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. ~ Winston Churchill
<<

T*AnTi-V!RuZz

Former Site Admin

Post 02 Dec 2013, 22:56

It could be fun to add this to the forum and brag about your highscore in games. But i vote yes under 2 condtions:
- KaM will still be the center of attention;
- burrito bison has to be added. :mrgreen:
KaM will always be the center of attention. I would be great if could come up with ideas to enhance the community with KaM related stuff.

It seems Burrito Bison isn't a forum arcade game (I can't find it at least). Can you find it?

Edit: It's a shame 6 people have voted so far, but no one has explained why. Please tell me why you voted yes or no.
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 03 Dec 2013, 01:22

This poll needs a "If Tom likes it, it's okay with me" option ;) :P
I used to spam this forum so much...
<<

Krom

Knights Province Developer

Post 03 Dec 2013, 05:37

I voted "No" but only because there's no option that Ben mentioned :P ;)
Knights Province at: http://www.knightsprovince.com
KaM Remake at: http://www.kamremake.com
Original MBWR/WR2/AFC/FVR tools at: http://krom.reveur.de
<<

Tiank

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Post 03 Dec 2013, 09:10

I voted no, cause these type of on-line games are mostly just time wasters. Comparing scores and competing in that kind of way is not my kind of fun.

I think it'd drag attention from KaM itself at some point even if it's not that noticeable.

That's my opinion :).
Without honour, victory is hollow.
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 03 Dec 2013, 14:10

I think it'd drag attention from KaM itself at some point even if it's not that noticeable.
Good point.
<<

T*AnTi-V!RuZz

Former Site Admin

Post 03 Dec 2013, 14:12

How do you think that will happen exactly?

Do you mean that members will stop caring about KaM and just come here for the Arcade, or new members will only register for the Arcade?
Or maybe something else? Please elaborate.
<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

KaM Skill Level: Veteran

Post 03 Dec 2013, 20:39

How do you think that will happen exactly?

Do you mean that members will stop caring about KaM and just come here for the Arcade, or new members will only register for the Arcade?
Or maybe something else? Please elaborate.
^ I think that's very unlikely to happen. :)
<<

Tiank

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Post 04 Dec 2013, 08:21

As you said Anti, these type of games are just to "kill some free time when you're bored". I think, that boredom can be used in a good way. It gives you space for creativity. It forces you to create something new. Let's imagine an example: there is a forum member, that has nothing to do at the moment. He just roams around the topics. At one point he discoveres the map design topic. He reads it, he explores dynamic scripts, trying to do something on his own and after some time, he's getting good in it. He creates, he's doing something new, something creative. With arcade feature available, he might end up playing for several hours just to get more points or beat someone else. On-line games might be fun and it's good sometimes not to do anything particular, but if someone wants to find this kind of fun, he would do it anyway, he don't need KaM forum to do it for him. That's why I think, that this feature is unnecessary here.

KaM forum and KaM itself already have enough ways to deal with boredom and generate fun.

@TDL: Despite what I wrote, I also think, that this is rather unlikely to happen here, since I know some of the members and their enthusiasm for KaM. But I still take this possibility under consideration. That's why I voted "no".
Without honour, victory is hollow.
<<

T*AnTi-V!RuZz

Former Site Admin

Post 04 Dec 2013, 08:30

As you said Anti, these type of games are just to "kill some free time when you're bored". I think, that boredom can be used in a good way. It gives you space for creativity. It forces you to create something new. Let's imagine an example: there is a forum member, that has nothing to do at the moment. He just roams around the topics. At one point he discoveres the map design topic. He reads it, he explores dynamic scripts, trying to do something on his own and after some time, he's getting good in it. He creates, he's doing something new, something creative. With arcade feature available, he might end up playing for several hours just to get more points or beat someone else. On-line games might be fun and it's good sometimes not to do anything particular, but if someone wants to find this kind of fun, he would do it anyway, he don't need KaM forum to do it for him. That's why I think, that this feature is unnecessary here.

KaM forum and KaM itself already have enough ways to deal with boredom and generate fun.

@TDL: Despite what I wrote, I also think, that this is rather unlikely to happen here, since I know some of the members and their enthusiasm for KaM. But I still take this possibility under consideration. That's why I voted "no".
Thanks for your opinion. Although I disagree, I do understand and appreciate your point and will definitely take it into consideration. :)

Besides, if "Yes" wins the vote, that doesn't necessarily mean we'll implement it. This is just a check as to see what the community thinks of this idea.
<<

FransPhoenix

The Dukes of Burgundy Clan

Post 23 Dec 2013, 11:40

Also voted 'no', for reasons already mentioned by TianK. By the way, are we sure that people are not creating fake profiles to support the 'yes-we-want-arcade' group?
--- No player should have knights without pigs: "Young knights were trained to fight by mounting on piggybacks." ---
<<

T*AnTi-V!RuZz

Former Site Admin

Post 23 Dec 2013, 11:44

By the way, are we sure that people are not creating fake profiles to support the 'yes-we-want-arcade' group?
Yes, we are.
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 23 Dec 2013, 18:02

Also voted 'no', for reasons already mentioned by TianK. By the way, are we sure that people are not creating fake profiles to support the 'yes-we-want-arcade' group?
I'm pretty sure that's impossible, but seriously, who would care that much? :P

Return to “Forum”