Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

Service Release 3 - A minor update, any interest?

<<

harold

Knight

Post 15 Jul 2008, 18:39

2 squares in the radius is 4 in the diameter, and some weird quadratic formula with PI in it for the number of extra tiles they can see of course
But the effect wouldn't be really big..

In Age of Empires 2, knights can barely see at all, maybe because of their helmets..
So how about this: knights keep their LOS, vagabonds get +3 or so and scouts +6? (offset relative to the base LOS of 9)
Would that be an idea or would that just be stupid?
<<

Litude

King Karolus

Post 15 Jul 2008, 20:41

Hmm...
You're right about the low line of sight the knights in Age of Empires II have (and cavalry in Age of Empires). Now that I've been thinking about this for a longer amount of time, it sounds more logical to me to leave the line of sight for the vagabond and the knight intact (9). Still the scout definitely needs a change. Lewin suggests +4 and you +6. I think +6 really might be starting a bit to overdo it. The 18 squares of line of sight really messed up the exploration part of the game so the line of sight needs to be nerfed, badly. Adding 4 or 5 to the base (9) sounds quite good to me, but some ingame testing has to be done naturally.
Still, does anyone else have a say in this?
<<

JBSnorro

Barbarian

Post 16 Jul 2008, 08:55

In my opinion the Knights' and Vagabonds LoS should remain 9, and the Scouts LoS should be 14 to 16, whatever.
<<

Thunderwolf

Crossbowman

Website: http://thunderwolf.freehost10.com/KaMMissionBuilder/index.php

Post 16 Jul 2008, 10:01

18 is definitely too much. 14 would be plenty in my opinion.
~old sig
MissionBuilder v0.9f2 UPDATED!!
Defend The Outer Colony. fight for your king and uncover the secrets of this land.
Temporary version at
http://thunderwolf.x10hosting.com/index.php
"You can't defeat me, I've played Knights and Merchants"
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Yahoo Messenger: lewinlewinhodgman

Post 16 Jul 2008, 10:38

Here's what I think:
- Infantry: 9
- Knights 10
- Scouts 14
- Vagabonds 14

Here's why:
Knights may have a helmet obscuring vision but they are mounted so they should have a bit more. (maybe even 11)

Scouts and Vagabonds should both be the same as they are both mounted and both don't have big helmet. If anything scouts should see less, not vagabonds as they have helmets and vagabonds don't!! Why should vagabonds see less?

I think that anything above 16 is too much.

Do you think catapults/ballistas should see less than 9? (just an idea, probably a bad one :wink:)
Lewin.
<<

Litude

King Karolus

Post 16 Jul 2008, 18:28

Vagabond should see less because... Well, scouts are scouts :D They have been trained to scout so I see it as quite logical that they see more than the vagabonds :)
And no, the line of sight should definitely stay the same for the catapults and the ballistae.

My suggestion as of now:
Vagabond: 9 (0)
Scout: 14 (+5)
Knight: 9 (0)
<<

Nick

Crossbowman

Post 16 Jul 2008, 18:59

im working on the unit.dat file for awhile now to balance things and improving the AI.
latelely i made my unit.dat corrupt but if u like once i get a new one i will continue working on it to make it as perfect as possible. if u want i can give it to u on the end :wink: it would mean alot to me since it will make the game more fun and harder :twisted:
<<

Litude

King Karolus

Post 16 Jul 2008, 19:02

Some more info on this? :D Like what is it exactly that you are changing around here?
<<

Nick

Crossbowman

Post 16 Jul 2008, 19:12

nothing more then a rewrite of unit.dat (mainly for increasing the AI and the 'realistic' style of battle). hard to explain what im changing...
Could u upload your unit.dat btw :oops:
<<

Litude

King Karolus

Post 16 Jul 2008, 20:52

Nick, you can get it from here. This unit.dat originates from SR2.
<<

Nick

Crossbowman

Post 16 Jul 2008, 21:04

txs alot... :) now i can continue my testing
<<

JBSnorro

Barbarian

Post 16 Jul 2008, 23:43

My suggestion as of now:
Vagabond: 9 (0)
Scout: 14 (+5)
Knight: 9 (0)
Couldn't agree more. I just don't understand why the vagabond or knight should have a larger Line of Sight than infantry units do, since the cavalryunits only have their eyes about a meter higher.... Imagine yourself completely surrounded by grass and imagine yourself stepping on a chair, do you reckon you can see further? I don't think so. Only the scouts should have an enlarged LoS since Scouts have been trained to see everything, as Litude mentioned.

@Nick:
I used to mess up my files as well, but reinstalled KaM and got the original version again. I suggest you do the same for future failures. Or even better, back-up the files you intend to alter..... That's basic programming knowledge, if you ask me.
<<

Nick

Crossbowman

Post 17 Jul 2008, 11:29

OFFTOPIC: i did a backup now after i got the unit.dat :wink:
i was just in a rush the first time i used it and forgot to backup. also i dont got the original sources of the game so i cant do a fresh install (i wont download kam cuz of my bandwith limit)

erm and for the line of sight:
in my process of balancing the unit.dat i have as final result
  Code:
Vagabond: 9 Knight: 8 Scout: 15 [/quote] as u can see it fits +- with your point of view :)
<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

KaM Skill Level: Veteran

Post 19 Jul 2008, 14:41

Doubling the line of sight of the scout was ridiculous. The worst ''improvement'' of the patch. In my opinion it should be 11 or 12...

The rest must remain 9 (although the vagabond's line of sight may be increased as well, so their lack in fighting abilities is compensated. They are not worthy 3 gold!)
<<

JBSnorro

Barbarian

Post 19 Jul 2008, 23:16

They will be worth 3 gold in TKE, since the main advantage of horses is their speed. in TPR and TSK that speed didn't give a surpise-attack advantage because once you have scouted everything, it will stay that way, but if if would return to gray, cavalry offers great advantages.

Return to “Website”