<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Yahoo Messenger: lewinlewinhodgman

Post 18 Apr 2013, 09:44

Request: Please post replays for r5116

Hi,
We've had reports that r5116 runs a bit slower than previous releases. We'd like to find out what parts of the game use the most CPU in a typical multiplayer match, which means we need to replay a game with the performance profiler on.

But we don't have any replays of multiplayer games to test. Sure we can test with the AI or something, but that's not testing under the same circumstances as having humans playing.

So please post replays here for r5116.
Cheers,
Lewin.
<<

dicsoupcan

Moorbach's Guard

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 18 Apr 2013, 10:03

Re: Request: Please post replays for r5116

Yes i did notice that i have more trouble running 2 kam's at the same time in r5116, i will post replays as soon as i can.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. ~ Winston Churchill
<<

pawel95

Castle Guard Swordsman

Post 18 Apr 2013, 10:08

I´m not sure if it will help you. Its an 8 player game but short and with 1,5 Speed.

However here is the Replay, maybe it will help you somehow:

http://www.speedyshare.com/44srf/Speed-1-5.rar

I can´t see any differences to the older versions, maybe because I have 4 cores of the Cpu, dont know.
My only problem is that sometimes I cant click on the menu buttons, because the starting box appears than and I cant close it (With the forester sign and your names on it). The only way is to take the box and push it to one edge
<<

dicsoupcan

Moorbach's Guard

Post 18 Apr 2013, 10:49

I´m not sure if it will help you. Its an 8 player game but short and with 1,5 Speed.

I can´t see any differences to the older versions, maybe because I have 4 cores of the Cpu, dont know.
My only problem is that sometimes I cant click on the menu buttons, because the starting box appears than and I cant close it (With the forester sign and your names on it). The only way is to take the box and push it to one edge
It also depends on wich resolution you play pawel, i also have 4 cores but when i went from 1024*768 to 1920*1080 it runs way heavier wich makes me lag when i have 2 kam's open.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. ~ Winston Churchill
<<

pawel95

Castle Guard Swordsman

Post 18 Apr 2013, 10:59

No doesnt matter for me. Sure that its than not that fast, espacialy when you havent a strong gpu, but up to here I havent seen differences on Full Hd res. also.
<<

Menszu

Vagabond

Post 18 Apr 2013, 19:55

http://speedy.sh/jjQ8E/Kotc.rar

At the end of the one named '1' there's an error I reported via ingame reporting system. It seams the error also repeats itself in replay.
Puny lords starving your subjects, such weakness, shame on you...
<<

Da Revolution

Knight

Post 18 Apr 2013, 21:33

We just played this game on r5116. It was a really bad game and sado messed up because of the new build order. Anyway I hope this helps with analyzing.
!MODBREAK: Mind your language please, thank you very much
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Da Revolution on 13 Sep 2021, 14:09, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Modbreak
"No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path" - Buddha
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 18 Apr 2013, 22:50

Also, there may be a bug in that game. I was going to post this in the "bugs" section but Revo already posted the replay here.

Anyway, almost immediately after PT is over, my laborer gets "stuck" near the center of the map. I was trying to do some exploring with fields, but it seems as though the laborer was trying to take a route that was blocked, and his pathfinding wasn't trying to work a way around the obstacle.
I used to spam this forum so much...
<<

Jeronimo

Knight

Post 18 Apr 2013, 22:57

... and sado messed up...
Same old story :P (joking).

If anyone is interested, we can play a few games this weekend, I'll be on TS this Sunday at 18.00 (0 UTC).
I have wanted to play some match online since r5116 has been out, yet haven't had the opportunity to participate in a 8 players match.
KaM Skill Level: Jeronimo
<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

KaM Skill Level: Veteran

Post 20 Apr 2013, 00:10

The AI seems to like the new build order as well. Some even manage to build a sawmill before a quarry and then run out of stone! :D
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Yahoo Messenger: lewinlewinhodgman

Post 20 Apr 2013, 15:24

Thanks for your replays guys, it's really useful to test the game under real situations so we know where the bottlenecks really are. Normally when we are testing performance we just run a map with AI builders, but humans play quite differently compared to AIs.

Yesterday I came up with an idea to optimize flood fills, which are by far the slowest part of the game. It worked very nicely and I also made another optimization to units finding mining tasks. The end result can be seen in how long it takes to simulate your replays. We simulate them with a tool that removes all graphical aspects of the game, it just runs the game logic as fast as possible (no rendering). Simulations were run multiple times and averaged.
We just played this game on r5116. It was a really bad game and sado messed up because of the new build order. Anyway I hope this helps with analyzing.
Simulated 70 minutes of game time in:
r5116: 70 seconds.
r5196: 43 seconds.

Simulated 70 minutes of game time in:
r5116: 132 seconds
r5196: 82 seconds

This shows my optimizations produced a ~60% speed up, which is massive! I'm quite pleased with the result. Hopefully you'll notice a difference in the next RC, and people with older computers will be able to use speed up in multiplayer without causing lag (and singleplayer/replays will be smoother/faster when using speed up).

Note that I'm focusing on game logic not rendering in my optimizations. Rendering isn't a bottleneck unless you have an old/slow GPU, and we can't do much about that anyway. Also, the less time the game spends on game logic the more time it has to pump out frames and give you a higher FPS (since game logic and rendering share one thread).
Cheers,
Lewin.
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 22 Apr 2013, 13:24

I've been playing the latest RC by myself lately (multiplayer games with just one human). Would these "practice" replays be of any value to you? (I.e., would they be useful)

And I'm quite pleased to see that slower computers will be able to run replays faster now. Maybe I'll be able to do commentaries with my laptop :D
I used to spam this forum so much...

Return to “Game replays”