Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

Snowy buildings (yes i have something to show)

<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 12 Feb 2013, 22:52

Re: Snowy buildings (yes i have something to show)

I am really liking the vineyard! Personally, I think that it could be further augmented if there was a little bit of snow on some spots of the tub's rim.
However, I am still worried about Nissarin's thought:
[it] doesn't look bad... but if you had whole city looking like this, won't that affect "visibility", i.e. everything would look the same and due to bright color it might tire the eyes.
Honestly, I don't know how you could fix this. Sorry that I'm no help there.
I used to spam this forum so much...
<<

dicsoupcan

Moorbach's Guard

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 12 Feb 2013, 23:04

I am really liking the vineyard! Personally, I think that it could be further augmented if there was a little bit of snow on some spots of the tub's rim.
However, I am still worried about Nissarin's thought:
[it] doesn't look bad... but if you had whole city looking like this, won't that affect "visibility", i.e. everything would look the same and due to bright color it might tire the eyes.
Honestly, I don't know how you could fix this. Sorry that I'm no help there.
Well i have no idea if this is any good input but red alert seemed to have the same thing with snowy buildings in snow maps. there was not really a problem for the eyes as far as i know.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. ~ Winston Churchill
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Yahoo Messenger: lewinlewinhodgman

Post 13 Feb 2013, 02:07

Does this have any chance of being implemented by default for buildings on snow, assuming we have all the graphics done? Or this topic will remain purely theoretical? :)
Yes, there's a good chance we'll use these images if the entire set of houses gets finished :)
The game could probably automatically detect whether the house is on snow.

It might look funny if the snow is there while the house is being built, I guess we could try to make it appear gradually in pieces or something.
Another thing, the animations that get overlaid on the house (e.g. windmill blades, market resources) will need to work with it or be modified themselves.
<<

Krom

Knights Province Developer

Post 13 Feb 2013, 04:59

We could gradually blend snowy version in 5-120 seconds after house is done. Most of the animations will b fine I guess. Yep, if the set is finished Remake could use it (either as a mod, or built-in). :)
Knights Province at: http://www.knightsprovince.com
KaM Remake at: http://www.kamremake.com
Original MBWR/WR2/AFC/FVR tools at: http://krom.reveur.de
<<

KillingB

Bowman

KaM Skill Level: Average

Post 13 Feb 2013, 11:46

Yep, if the set is finished Remake could use it (either as a mod, or built-in). :)
NOW THAT'S THE MOTIVATION I NEEDED :) :D

Here's a little update :)

Image (click on image if you want to see the original size)
Here we have 2 towers(icicles do improve the look) and the vineyard is finished ( ? )
<<

sado1

Council Member

Post 13 Feb 2013, 12:35

This looks fantastic, with icicles and snow on sides of the buildings. Not sure about the winefarms, maybe they blend too much with snow (and the fence at left isn't complete, am I right?). I hope Hellracer (and anyone else interested in helping KillingB) reads this topic, it would be easier if multiple artists worked on the project.
<<

Krom

Knights Province Developer

Post 13 Feb 2013, 12:45

@KillingB: vineyard looks great. Maybe after you do other houses you will improve the workflow or pick some new exciting ideas and update/refresh the vineyard. Anyway looking forward to seeing more winter houses! :)

Tower looks good too, maybe just icicles need to be more random in placement and size, not sure. Rooftop rear (stroke on the right edge) looks a bit too bright for a shadowed area, what do you think?
Knights Province at: http://www.knightsprovince.com
KaM Remake at: http://www.kamremake.com
Original MBWR/WR2/AFC/FVR tools at: http://krom.reveur.de
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Yahoo Messenger: lewinlewinhodgman

Post 13 Feb 2013, 12:58

Great work :)
You can test them live in the Remake by creating a folder Sprites in your KaM Remake folder and placing the images there with the correct names (should be the same names as when you exported them from the Remake):
Vineyard - "2_0378.png"
Tower - "2_0255.png"
Iron mine - "2_0061.png"

The first number (2) tells it which RX pack it is to override (2=houses), and the second number is the ID of that image within the image pack (it should be the same as when you exported them, compare with the examples I gave).

This will allow you to show them more naturally in-game and with less effort for you. You might find the building animations look wrong because anything that extends beyond the existing image won't be revealed properly.
<<

pawel95

Castle Guard Swordsman

Post 13 Feb 2013, 13:42

Wow my respect. The tower is the best building up to here for me. Maybe you could add little snowtile over the "flagmast" like a sweet addition :P
<<

KillingB

Bowman

Post 13 Feb 2013, 13:59

Great work :)
You can test them live in the Remake by creating a folder Sprites in your KaM Remake folder and placing the images there with the correct names (should be the same names as when you exported them from the Remake):
Vineyard - "2_0378.png"
Tower - "2_0255.png"
Iron mine - "2_0061.png"

The first number (2) tells it which RX pack it is to override (2=houses), and the second number is the ID of that image within the image pack (it should be the same as when you exported them, compare with the examples I gave).

This will allow you to show them more naturally in-game and with less effort for you. You might find the building animations look wrong because anything that extends beyond the existing image won't be revealed properly.
THANK YOU SO MUCH ^^
it was really annoying to put those sprites in TPR and test them. (most likely because i have win7 64bit + the in game screen resolution makes me cry :'( )
Maybe i'll give you all the download link for those sprites. LATER (6)
Meanwhile...i'm going in the search of a snowy map.
<<

KillingB

Bowman

Post 13 Feb 2013, 14:03

Wow my respect. The tower is the best building up to here for me. Maybe you could add little snowtile over the "flagmast" like a sweet addition :P
There was a very strong wind in KaM today, it just blew off the snow :(
jk.

Maybe... we'll see....
<<

pawel95

Castle Guard Swordsman

Post 13 Feb 2013, 14:08

Well, you could also ask Lewin and Krom, if they want to add this maybe for all remake and KaM fans, so maybe some feature that when someone build a normal building on snow underground automaticly your houses pop up and not the original one. Well but this is only a suggestion if you want it, than you can ask ;-)

By the way a normal mod has also a - side. When i would just take your nice files and overwrite the old one, in some maps like "back in the dessert" i would have also your ice houses :P
<<

KillingB

Bowman

Post 13 Feb 2013, 14:34

Well, you could also ask Lewin and Krom, if they want to add this maybe for all remake and KaM fans, so maybe some feature that when someone build a normal building on snow underground automaticly your houses pop up and not the original one. Well but this is only a suggestion if you want it, than you can ask ;-)

By the way a normal mod has also a - side. When i would just take your nice files and overwrite the old one, in some maps like "back in the dessert" i would have also your ice houses :P
That is why i don't want to release this as a mod, i want it inside the Remake :)
<<

pawel95

Castle Guard Swordsman

Post 13 Feb 2013, 15:22

Offtopic
Have you maybe some time to tell me how do you do this? Don´t worry, i dont want to make better snow pictures for KaM or something like this,than you :-) You have seen maybe my fan topic, i have already other works to do :D I´am only asking,because I like it to learn new things by using photoshop and Co. It would be nice if you had some time, just let us write some private messages, it would be really nice from your side :D

Haha my first snow try :P

pawel95
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 13 Feb 2013, 16:15

Great job on the tower! I agree with Krom's input on the shadowing, however. Again, I address the tub in the vineyard: the "frost" around the tub looks a little "flat." it doesn't really look like it bends with the curves around the tub.

On a side note, I'd love to see these added into the Remake. I always thought that building large villages in snow maps ruined the theme, but that will be a thing in the past once these animations are done!

Also, do you plan on adding snow to other things, too? such as building debris and objects?
I used to spam this forum so much...

Return to “Other Creations”