Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

Windows 8

<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 13 Nov 2012, 20:08

Windows 8

Has anyone tried Windows 8? It seems as though that is all I can find in the stores around where I live. I am thinking about getting it, but I was curious about the opinions of my favorite online community :)
I used to spam this forum so much...
<<

Private.NL

Axe Fighter

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 13 Nov 2012, 20:55

Re: Windows 8

I am struggling with the same problem. The update advise app thing did not gave any problem with W8. I will install it this weekend i think. :)
Always look on the bright side of KaM! :D
<<

T*AnTi-V!RuZz

Former Site Admin

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 13 Nov 2012, 22:33

I can download all Windows 8 versions for free through my school (legally) and I've been using it for a couple of weeks now.

For laptops/desktops: I recommend staying with Windows 7. Windows 8 is nice for tablets and phones, but a complete disaster on systems that work with a keyboard and a mouse.

My advice: if you really want to try it, download the free RTM version and install it on a Virtual Machine. Try it out before you buy it, 'cause there's a big chance you'll regret it.
<<

dicsoupcan

Moorbach's Guard

Post 13 Nov 2012, 22:46

so the trend of good windows -> crappy windows -> good windows continues? :mrgreen:
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. ~ Winston Churchill
<<

T*AnTi-V!RuZz

Former Site Admin

Post 14 Nov 2012, 09:45

so the trend of good windows -> crappy windows -> good windows continues? :mrgreen:
That depends on the next one :P
<<

sado1

Council Member

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Post 14 Nov 2012, 10:42

Yes, I agree Windows 8 on PCs is a total disaster. I guess it's not impossible to get used to it, but seriously, a mouse isn't a finger ffs... Windows 7 remains my "game console" system of choice (but not for long... Steam comes to Linux, and Remake already works there well, I guess it finally means the death of switching between both for me :) )

But I must agree, Windows Phone and Windows 8 on a tablet, are worth considering. I tried Phone 7 for a longer while and really liked it (but Zune sync is something I just can't stand)
<<

kocsis1david

Crossbowman

Post 15 Nov 2012, 06:40

I'm using Windows 8 everyday since it's appeared. I had some day when it was difficult to use, but now I find it good. I can't say that I like the Metro UI, neither that I hate it, but there is no need to use it everytime and there are new features available and it's also faster, there are new APIs, etc. that makes it better than Windows 7. But it's also possible to simply install a software that brings back the original start menu, so I don't see why people complain that much.
<<

sado1

Council Member

Post 15 Nov 2012, 15:11

But it's also possible to simply install a software that brings back the original start menu, so I don't see why people complain that much.
True, but it isn't the solution. In next Windows I'm guessing Microsoft would want to block the old interface (ideally for them, in the moment when most of the important apps use Metro). But what's bad in this interface, isn't only the fact that they want to force a difficult (for a mouse) user interface upon us. I'm not sure, if what Microsoft also wants, is to kill/weaken the PC market and force us to switch to their tablets, or maybe they just want us to know their tablet interface well, so we buy their tablets... PCs and laptops were never about touch input, and it isn't likely they will ever be. At least not like "touchscreen only" - I'd love to have a touchscreen in my notebook (well, who wouldn't), but mouse, and especially keyboard, are a must, so what's the point of having the touchscreen?
<<

T*AnTi-V!RuZz

Former Site Admin

Post 15 Nov 2012, 16:19

Don't think that's possible, because tablets just can't replace desktops and laptops. Desktops and laptops are capable of far more than tablets.
<<

sado1

Council Member

Post 15 Nov 2012, 17:10

Don't think that's possible, because tablets just can't replace desktops and laptops. Desktops and laptops are capable of far more than tablets.
And that's exactly why I'm amazed Microsoft thinks people will so gladly move to a system which is designed for something completely different than PCs/laptops.
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 15 Nov 2012, 20:21

Personally, I think the interference looks terrible. I haven't used it myself, but I've seen commercials, and I'm not impressed. I wonder if this turns out to be a huge mistake like Vista.
<<

EDMatt

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Expert

Post 08 Dec 2012, 12:54

My belved desktop is gone =(
Roses are red
violets are blue
I.G. is blessed
To be the BEST!!
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 08 Dec 2012, 18:00

If I upgrade to 8, will I be able to keep my Avril Lavigne backgrounds? They are very important to me! :P
<<

Categoricus

Warrior

KaM Skill Level: Average

Post 19 Feb 2013, 16:51

I've encountered regural ACPI management failures with Windows 8 installed to a brand new hardware configuration. While it can't be so much worse than Windows 7 as Vista than XP, because this time there is only a minor version change.
Primus Christianus Hungaricus Categoricus
<<

FeyBart

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 19 Feb 2013, 21:11

Seriously guy? Another kick? You really don't want to listen to other people's advice and complaints, do you? I know I'm not a saint, but at least I try to listen whenever other people tell me I'm doing something wrong. Stop the damn necro-posting. It's really annoying.
Nice coffee is always nice.

Return to “Computers & Technology”