Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

Beta 6 is here!

<<

Litude

King Karolus

Post 16 Dec 2008, 18:56

Mission 14 TSK Tested:

- My ally does not have all the required units for his buildings at the start, (he trains them) which seems odd when you consider that he is meant to be a village who has been there for a while, resisting against the enemy. Also, he doesn't start with wood meaning he won't make weapons until the woodcutter has planted and felled trees. neither of these are really problems, but I thought you might like to know.
I guess this is to create a slight delay before your ally starts creating recruits.
- My ally placed a group of lance carriers almost on the woodcutters hut, meaning most of them couldn't stand there. You should move the defence position a bit.
Thanks for the report.
- Is the water in the bottom left meant to be the sea? (looks like it, with crabs and a beach) If so then the ducks are a *bit* out of place, don't you think? :D
Well for all we know it could just be a little pond :wink:.
- When attacking my ally, (or me for that matter) the green enemy will always "take more" troops. This is does make the mission harder though. The only problem is that once you have watchtowers plus enough troops, all of the enemies troops will come at once and die, leaving no one defending. (all the defence radii are quite large)
- I destroyed the greens first, and then attacked the black from the north. I setup 24 crossbowmen and 6 balistas at the ford, and then lured the enemy to me. They took more (well, their entire army actually!) and I had no trouble killing them. My point is, maybe the defence radii are too high here too? Maybe it's meant to be like that though.
The mission is recognized as having the most aggressive enemies so reducing the radii might make the mission too generic.
I also found what I consider to be a bug, but it's not to do with this mission in particular. When I built my siege workshop, I noticed that the supplies were placed quite oddly, well outside the building outline:
http://lewin.namsys.com.au/kam/Temp/siege-build-bug.gif
All of the other buildings have the wares well inside the outline, but these are outside it. I assume the offset is in houses.dat, and perhaps you changed it accidentally when making them not place on trees? (or maybe it's always been like this) You don't have to fix it if you consider it to be ok though.
I don't think I managed to change this accidentally and after doing a check I think this is done intentionally. Now the screenshot you took exaggerates this "bug" as when you build your siege workshop in a downhill the wares are placed more outside the build area than normally.
The thing is that the siege workshop itself occupies almost the whole area inside the fences and therefore if you had the wares placed inside these fences, these would most likely overlap the building itself while it is being built which would look even cheaper.
I'll try to play mission 15, but I think I'll be a bit busy testing the competition, so maybe I won't have time for a while.
You have no need to be in a hurry, I'm not paying you after all :wink:.
BTW: Are these beta tests helping? Is it worth my while?
Yeah it's really helpful when I get feedback from someone else than myself when playing through a mission. It helps me know what other people react to as I'm not too keen on changing everything that even slightly resembles a bug and it's not like I'd find all bugs doing my own playthrough.

For the record, you shouldn't playtest mission 16 and 20 TSK as I've done some fixing on these that could possibly prevent and create new bugs.
<<

kuba11100

Sword Fighter

Post 17 Dec 2008, 17:51

Samples volume control doesn't work (it always work like it was set to 20). Was it reported before?
<<

Litude

King Karolus

Post 18 Dec 2008, 07:32

Yeah it has never worked in TPR. Even changing the volume level by hand from the .cfg file doesn't work so it's pretty much impossible to fix unless we get the source code.
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Yahoo Messenger: lewinlewinhodgman

Post 19 Dec 2008, 05:35

@Litude: My reply to your comments on mission 14: Just ignore all of my suggestions except for the lance carriers on the woodcutter.
I've decided that you are right, and nothing else really needs changing. The AI is very well done, so why change it?

I never noticed that the volume control doesn't work, I've never really found it necessary to change.
Lewin.
<<

kuba11100

Sword Fighter

Post 25 Dec 2008, 13:36

I've checked the reason of the stone trace bugs. Very quick test, but might help:
Made a completely flat map (height 0) with a single square stones. First one had a 1 height, second one 2 and so on. Sloped field between 0 and 25 (or bigger) squares was unavaiable for people and building mode. But now look at THIS. Stonemasons grab the stone, they ignore slope angle of the stone square.
So, they leave the stone only if they can't stand on the 1st square right below it.
<<

pastuh

Serf

Post 30 Dec 2008, 19:15

Nice work :) I will try
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Post 09 Jan 2009, 06:54

Mission 15 Tested:

Unfortunately I had to save ~1 hour through this mission so the auto build stopped building. I actually didn't really find any problems, only 1 thing worth noting: The defence for the black in the iron hills with watchtowers (not the main auto build) was a bit odd. They didn't seem to have very many troops and let me destroy a few towers without objection. Then once I reached their base they ambushed me with huge numbers of troops.

But as I said, it's not a bug so don't worry.
So you are saying that I shouldn't test mission 16 onwards because they might have problems?

@Kuba: Well done, perhaps we can fix this problem after all. The only problem is that we don't understand what happens to the elevation after it has been mined, so this could happen randomly in the middle of a hill.

Must nearly be time for beta 7...
Lewin.
<<

Litude

King Karolus

Post 09 Jan 2009, 09:40

Unfortunately I had to save ~1 hour through this mission so the auto build stopped building. I actually didn't really find any problems, only 1 thing worth noting: The defence for the black in the iron hills with watchtowers (not the main auto build) was a bit odd. They didn't seem to have very many troops and let me destroy a few towers without objection. Then once I reached their base they ambushed me with huge numbers of troops.
Yeah this is because the watchtowers and the soldiers belong to different teams. Definitely not a bug.
So you are saying that I shouldn't test mission 16 onwards because they might have problems?
Mission 18 can be tested, but 16 and 20 had some problems I have already fixed.
@Kuba: Well done, perhaps we can fix this problem after all. The only problem is that we don't understand what happens to the elevation after it has been mined, so this could happen randomly in the middle of a hill.
Yeah but even if we do figure out a formula for creating a working mountain, calculating a working mountain by hand could take hours :P.
<<

The Knight

Pikeman

KaM Skill Level: Average

Post 19 Jan 2009, 18:07

Haaah, could we see this year or 2010 beta 7?
<<

Litude

King Karolus

Post 19 Jan 2009, 19:20

Actually, I was planning to release it in 2011 :P
<<

Nick

Crossbowman

Post 23 Jan 2009, 00:49

got some problem with sounds.
I used beta 6 and now my crossbowmen dont make a sound anymore. Would you like to check if the same happens with you?
txs
<<

Litude

King Karolus

Post 23 Jan 2009, 12:47

Seriously, some people are still running Windows 98? :shock:
Yeah the installer doesn't work on non NT systems, but it will be fixed in the next release.
<<

Nick

Crossbowman

Post 03 Feb 2009, 00:02

just to bump this.
I get no sound from the crossbowmen and warrior
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Post 03 Feb 2009, 08:18

just to bump this.
I get no sound from the crossbowmen and warrior
The reason of this is because the INSTALL.BAT (or whatever it's called) file hasn't run properly. This is probably because Litude created it in such a way that it doesn't work in Windows ME/98/95. What version of Windows are you using?

The reason behind why this is happening is simple. Litude has told the BAT file to rename the warrior, crossbowmen, etc. sound folders to something else. (previously the warrior sounds were loaded from the same place as the barbarian ones, but the new EXE uses unique sounds)

It is possible that the BAT file will have corrupted your copy of KaM whilst trying to rename the folders, so when beta 7 comes out it would be worth reinstalling KaM first. (but you have lost your CD or something...)

Let me know if you still don't understand,
Lewin.
<<

Nick

Crossbowman

Post 05 Feb 2009, 23:13

aha txs. Indeed i never used the .bat cuz i don't like automatc installs...
Anyway ill just open the bats in notepad and see what i have to rename

Return to “1.60 Patch (Service Release 3)”