Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

Making Siege Equipment & TPR Troops Talk

<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

KaM Skill Level: Veteran

Post 21 Sep 2008, 19:58

Hehe, I just heard your sound mod... If I had to do the voices, I would feel like a complete fool, especially when you say things like in BATTLE0. xD

Most of them are pretty good, but sometimes you sound like you're very bored... Like in EAT0. :wink:

Now I think of it... Why aren't there Dutch voices? I should start a topic about it... I guess we could do it! It's a shame that I haven't got any recording devices though! :(
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Yahoo Messenger: lewinlewinhodgman

Post 22 Sep 2008, 01:29

Hello,
Ok, a few people seem to be confused. When I said "Siege Equipment Talking" I was being funny. (well, I thought I was) It's just a joke, I have no intention of giving them vocies.
I think just sounds would be much better. Take Age of Empires for example. The trebichas/mangonels make varius noises when you tell them to do things. I think KaM should be the same, and I basically thought an easy thing to do would be different clunk sounds for each action. (2 higher pitched clunks for attack, 1 for move, etc.)
If the used real voices then it would be silly, because there is nobody working them.
So: IMO catapults and ballistae should make noises only, not actual talking.
Noises is a better word, because I've never seen a machine talking. I guess when you send them somewhere, you should hear a sound of wheels?
Well wheels rolling is quite a hard sound effect to create. (without copying someone elses work) That's why I went for the easy option of clunks.
I think both should be added to the English version of KaM, but for the other versions there should only the siege equipment be added, because the English voice from the warrior doesn't fit to the other sounds.
Well, my idea was to leave all other languages as they are, unless someone else will do a voice for them.
Siege weapons on the other hand are generic and should be included in all language versions.
Huh, this has always been the case? If you look at any missions using catapults or ballistae they always have the !SET_GROUP_FOOD afterwards because this is how it has always been..
Oh, I did not know that. :D I thought I'd created some weird bug or something.
So there apear to be no bad effects in adding new voices.
@The Knight: The idea is to give the new TPR soldiers (The rebel, the vagabond, the warrior and the rogue) unique sounds, not only to the warrior. Right now all these TPR units use old TSK sound effects.
Yup, that's right. I am happy to do all the English voices, and seeing as you are going to include them in SR3, I will do a much more thorough job. (the warrior sounds are really tacky...)
I want to do rouges, my younger brother wants to do vagabonds, and my freind will redo the warrior sounds. (in better quility and better accent) I think I can find another freind to do the rebels.
Could be... but finding some useful voices under the players is very difficulty. 95% of KaM players are between 14 and 25 years
Why is age a problem? We can put on a deeper voice to make us sound more mature, after all we are acting the roles.
It isn't necessary to provide unique exes for each language as you could just copy over the already existing scout folder and name it vagabond, but hopefully we can find some talented voice actors
Yeah, just add that to your .BAT file that copies music around.
You also need a good quility microphone to do the voices. I'm no talented actor, but I have a good mic and I'm happy to give it a go.
If we can find forien voices it would be great, but otherwise just use the origianls.
I agree that new voices should come as a mod, rather than a patch (with the possible exception of the siege units) - after all, normal (civilian) units already share voices with troops, and I've always quite liked that.
I assume you also like the way rouges say (whilst shooting rocks)
"Hang 'em from your spears!!"
And the rebels
"Fire at will!"
"Arrows, ready!"
It sounds AUFUL!! Come on, anything would be an improvement.
It would give the units some more character too, which they are badly in need of.
BTW: I just had an idea! Can we make the fisherman use one of the new voices? That would make him sound more unque and different from the butcher.
Well we are missing German, Polish and Russian voice actors. Hopefully Lewin will be able to pull of the English sounds (the warrior was quite good, but a few of the sounds were a bit off).
Yeah, lots of the sounds were off. I am planning to redo all of them. Oh and that WASN'T me. It was my freind. (I am planning to do some voices too)
When we redo them we will:
- Improve the quility of sound. Some of them sound fuzzy of at a differnet volume to others.
- Improve the expressions (The Dark Lord pointed out that some of them sound a bit bord) We were aiming for something a bit like the barbarian, because that's what the warroir is.
- Improve the words. We were just mucking around, we didn't have a script. I am planning to write down all the required voices.
- Make lots more sounds per action. I am aiming for about 4 sounds per action per unit.

What did you think of the accent? Does it sound too Australian? We will try to be as generic as possible.
I will do this over the next few weeks, and post updates on this thread.
Hehe, I just heard your sound mod... If I had to do the voices, I would feel like a complete fool, especially when you say things like in BATTLE0.
Most of them are pretty good, but sometimes you sound like you're very bored... Like in EAT0 :wink:
Well, firstly it wasn't me, it was a freinds voice. Yeah, you do feel a bit stupid, but it's fun hearing your voice in KaM.
As I said, we will redo all of these are fix the bord ones.
Now I think of it... Why aren't there Dutch voices? I should start a topic about it... I guess we could do it! It's a shame that I haven't got any recording devices though!
Well it would be great to add Dutch vocies! You can buy an ok mic for ~$30. Oops, no one will know the Australian exchange rate. :wink: It's about the same as $US. (that would be ~$20 US)
For software use Gold Wave. (Google it) Then setup the inputs and you can record easily. Even if you just send me a big long file and I cut it up in to the indevidual sounds. (and convert it to MP2)
Really, it's quite easy.

I let you know when I have an update,
Lewin.
P.S. Wow! Big post!
<<

Thunderwolf

Crossbowman

Website: http://thunderwolf.freehost10.com/KaMMissionBuilder/index.php

Post 22 Sep 2008, 08:03

Now I think of it... Why aren't there Dutch voices? I should start a topic about it... I guess we could do it! It's a shame that I haven't got any recording devices though!
I have a small mic. in my laptop, but I guess the quality won't be all that good...
~old sig
MissionBuilder v0.9f2 UPDATED!!
Defend The Outer Colony. fight for your king and uncover the secrets of this land.
Temporary version at
http://thunderwolf.x10hosting.com/index.php
"You can't defeat me, I've played Knights and Merchants"
<<

The Knight

Pikeman

KaM Skill Level: Average

Post 22 Sep 2008, 09:48

In germany a micro phone costs 10 Euro or so.... using Headset? :roll:
<<

Danjb

Sword Fighter

Post 22 Sep 2008, 16:55

Siege weapons on the other hand are generic and should be included in all language versions.
What? You mean you're not gonna record the clunks in different languages? :P
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Post 08 Oct 2008, 04:59

Hello,
Just wanted to say that I've release version 0.2 of the voice mod, check the first post.
It includes new and improved sounds for siege equipment, new rogue voices (me) and the same old warrior voices from before.

I really want feedback on it, so please download and tell me what you think. This download doesn't have an EXE in it this time, because Litude has kindly changed the values in beta 6.
However, the downside of this is that you must run INSTALL.BAT to make it work. (it will override your old voices)
Oh and don't forget: For these sounds to work you MUST have beta 6 installed.

Let me know what you think,
Lewin.
<<

The Knight

Pikeman

Post 08 Oct 2008, 08:16

New sound effects are better, I would say.

English voice of guy which shoot stones ( :D ) is also good, but warrior sounds like an 18 years old guy :D :roll: Warrior should be same as barbarian, deep and vodka :D

There is also a problem, the sound quality of TPR is terrible! You can hear a noise in background of every voice and the SR3 voices are very clean.

So make the new voices in mp2 quality or refresh the old voices into perfect quality. :) I would take the second....
<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

Post 08 Oct 2008, 16:36

I think it's pretty good! Siege units' noises are good, and I will tell you which ones you have to do again in my opinion:
BATTLE0 (I don't know why, just don't like it)
FORMAT1 (when you say the first word, your voice sounds low, but when you say the next word, your voice gets too high. I know it's the same with the original sounds, but this difference is too large, I think)
HALVE0 (same as FORMAT1)
JOIN1 (same as FORMAT1)
LEFT2 (same as FORMAT1)
RIGHT0 (same as FORMAT1)

The rest of 'em are good, as I said, and from SELECT0 to SEND3 they're perfect. :)
But it's just my opinion, and as my English pronunciation isn't too good, you can't really trust my judgement. :wink:
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Post 09 Oct 2008, 07:04

New sound effects are better, I would say.

English voice of guy which shoot stones ( :D ) is also good, but warrior sounds like an 18 years old guy :D :roll: Warrior should be same as barbarian, deep and vodka :D.
Yes, but as I keep saying the warrior voices are no where near final!! I know that they are no good, I don't need feedback on them.
Do you have any further comments on the "guy which shoot stones"? (he's called the rogue in English)

There is also a problem, the sound quality of TPR is terrible! You can hear a noise in background of every voice and the SR3 voices are very clean.

So make the new voices in mp2 quality or refresh the old voices into perfect quality. :) I would take the second....
Litude and I are both aware of this problem. Litude told me that he will be using poor quality MP2 for SR3, but he will release separate high quality voice packs for each language, just like the high quality music patch.
I think it's pretty good! Siege units' noises are good, and I will tell you which ones you have to do again in my opinion:
BATTLE0 (I don't know why, just don't like it)
FORMAT1 (when you say the first word, your voice sounds low, but when you say the next word, your voice gets too high. I know it's the same with the original sounds, but this difference is too large, I think)
HALVE0 (same as FORMAT1)
JOIN1 (same as FORMAT1)
LEFT2 (same as FORMAT1)
RIGHT0 (same as FORMAT1)

The rest of 'em are good, as I said, and from SELECT0 to SEND3 they're perfect. :)
But it's just my opinion, and as my English pronunciation isn't too good, you can't really trust my judgement. :wink:
A huge thanks for the feedback! I've redone all the ones you listed, and updated the download.
Are there any others you think need redoing? Do some of them sound a bit bored or inconsistent? I'd like to know.

Anyone else got comments?
Lewin.
<<

The Knight

Pikeman

Post 09 Oct 2008, 09:06

>< but he will release separate high quality voice packs for each language, just like the high quality music patch.

What? I get a better sound quality for german version? He can improve it?
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Post 09 Oct 2008, 10:24

What? I get a better sound quality for german version? He can improve it?
Yes, because TSK uses higher quality WAV voices. He can just copy them across. For some reason TPR uses low quality MP2 files.
The high quality music can be copied from the TSK CD.

So far Litude has only released the music patch, I think hes waiting for my new voices.
Lewin.
<<

The Knight

Pikeman

Post 09 Oct 2008, 10:47

I'm looking for egrman TSK voices, I hope in german there are better, too.
<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

Post 12 Oct 2008, 17:22

I still don't like BATTLE0. I think it's because you pronounce ''fire'' and ''at'' as if it is one word (firet will :wink:).
LEFT2 hasn't improved as well in my opinion (troop left WHEEL).
The rest is good.
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Post 14 Oct 2008, 04:45

I'm looking for german TSK voices, I hope in german there are better, too.
Well I can't see why there wouldn't be. As far as I know Litude has it all under control and he won't require you to send him the German voices.
I still don't like BATTLE0. I think it's because you pronounce ''fire'' and ''at'' as if it is one word (firet will :wink:).
LEFT2 hasn't improved as well in my opinion (troop left WHEEL).
The rest is good.
Yeah, good points, I've released 0.2.2 to fix those issues.
I think BATTLE0 has lost some character, it doesn't sound like a war cry any more.

Are there any others you would like improved? I don't mind, it's quite easy for me to do. Do the volume levels need to be adjusted? Please give me feedback everyone!
Lewin.
<<

The Knight

Pikeman

Post 14 Oct 2008, 10:15

German voices in TPR and TSK the same, I have installed TSK....

Return to “1.60 Patch (Service Release 3)”