Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

Opinion about stuff in the English translation?

<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Yahoo Messenger: lewinlewinhodgman

Post 19 Sep 2008, 08:18

Apparently, in the German version of the game the tutorial messages are written using "middle age speak". I'm assuming that the reason for the messages being plain English was because there were two English translators working on the game and the one who started the translation didn't really know how to speak the "old" English so he went with the plain and simple one (also explains why the earlier messages had so many errors). When the campaign was to be translated, the second better translator did the job. Just speculating :D.
Sounds right. Supporting this theory is the fact that the battle tutorial is written in old English.
My question being, should the tutorial messages be rewritten in old English after all? :oops:
Hmm.... Good question...
Why they shouldn't be:
- Learning how to play the game should be easy, and old English is more complex
- Old English is harder to read than normal English. It requires more concentration and sometimes you can misinterpret things. That could be bad for the tutorial.
- Younger players may have trouble understanding it
- It will be a lot of work changing all of the message :wink: (just joking)
- I can't do as good a job as the translator did, (I can try, but I've never studied it) and that might make it seem tacky

Why they should be in old English:
- It makes the game more consistent throughout
- It adds to the feel of the game, making it seem more medieval

I hate decisions like this! I'm not really sure.
I'd like to ask some other peoples opinion on this one, maybe do a poll for it?

So what is your opinion?
Lewin.
<<

Litude

King Karolus

Post 19 Sep 2008, 09:50

Don't think a poll would really do the job, AFAIK there are only four people here that actually play the English version of the game (Me, You, Wpnfire and Danjb).
Thing is, if we wrote the texts in "Old English", I don't think they'd be that hard to understand as more than likely we won't use some never heard "Old English" words. And the tutorial messages are just so plain as their are... :?
<<

Danjb

Sword Fighter

Post 19 Sep 2008, 15:06

I didn't reply to this before as I didn't read it too thoroughly and thought you might be talking about making other languages into older dialect, which I would know nothing about...

But when it comes to English, I say DEFINITELY keep it old. :)

It's what makes KaM what it is!
<<

Litude

King Karolus

Post 19 Sep 2008, 19:45

It's not about keeping :P If you play the tutorial you'll notice that it is plain English (except for the second, third and fourth messages) so we're wondering whether the tutorial should be changed to old English.
Oh and I support making it old English as that's what the rest of the game uses anyway.
<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

KaM Skill Level: Veteran

Post 19 Sep 2008, 20:38

As the rest of the messages and briefings are in old English, I think these should be too.
<<

Danjb

Sword Fighter

Post 20 Sep 2008, 09:02

Oh ok, I didn't know that, but yeah, making it fit in the with the rest of the game anyway.
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Post 21 Sep 2008, 02:21

Ok, I guess it's old English then. :) (I'm happy with that)
@Litude: Do you want me to do it? Or would you rather do some yourself? (I am happy to do it if you've still got other SR3 things to work on)
Maybe we can share? (divide the messages between each other)
I think that what ever we do, we must check each others work for mistakes. Would PM be easiest? If we use this thread then it could become kind of big, we could do all the drafting by PM and then post the final ones here for other people to give feedback on.

Anyone else feel like translating to old English? :wink:
Lewin.
<<

Litude

King Karolus

Post 21 Sep 2008, 07:52

Well I'm currently not 100% satisfied with the content of the tutorial messages I wrote so I'll have to do some minor changes to one or two of them before this is started.
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Post 18 Oct 2008, 02:55

Old English tutorial messages

Hi All,
I have finished converting the tutorial messages into old English.
If anybody has any suggestions for how to improve these then please speak up.
  Code:
You'll need a school house to train new citizens. Make sure you always have enough gold in the storehouse for this. ------ Thou shalt need a school house to train new citizens. Be sure that thou hast always enough gold in thy storehouse for this.[/quote] I copied these three from the old ones in SR2, with a few changes. [code]Start building by left clicking on the hammer icon on the left side of the screen. Then click on the book icon (the school house). Position the frame of the school house on the map where you want it to be constructed and left click to place it. --------- Start building by left clicking on ye hammer icon on the left side of thy screen. Then thou must needs click on the book icon (ye school house). Position the frame of thy school house on thy map where thou willst have it constructed and left click to place it.[/quote] [code]Once you have placed the school house, you will notice that 'Construct road' has been selected. Click to place squares of road and connect the road from the storehouse to the school house. Remember, you must connect the road to the front door of every building. ------ Once thou hath placed the school house, thou canst see that 'construct road' hath in troth become selected. Thou must needs click each square where thou willst have a section of road built. Don't forget, thou must needs connect the road to the front door of every building.[/quote] [code]To train citizens, left click on the school house and scroll through the units by using the 'Next profession' button until you have selected the unit which you desire to train. Then click on the 'Add to queue' button. Newly trained citizens will automatically start to perform their tasks. ------ To train citizens, left click on thy school house and scroll through the units by using the 'Next Profession' button to select thy unit that thou doth wish to train. Then shalt thou left click on the 'Add to Queue' button. When trained, thy citizens shall, wonder of wonders, automatically start to perform their tasks.[/quote] [code]From time to time your citizens must eat. In order for them to do this, you must construct an inn. Be sure to locate the inn centrally, so that it is easily accessible for all your villagers. ------ From time to time thine loyal citizens shalt need to eat. In order for them to do this, thou must needs construct an inn. Be sure to locate ye inn centrally, so that it canst be accessed easily by all of thine villagers.[/quote] [code]You need stones for further house and road construction. Construct a quarry near a supply of stones. Then you must train a stonemason who will produce your new building material. ------ Thou shalt need stones if thou art to construct further houses and roads. Thou shouldst construct a quarry near a supply of stones, then must thou train thee a stonemason who will produce thy new building material.[/quote] [code]You don't just need stones to construct buildings, but also timber. The woodcutter fells and plants trees which are then processed in the sawmill. Always build the woodcutter's hut near a forest. ------ Thou doth not only need stones to construct buildings, but also timber. Ye woodcutter fells and plants trees which are then processed in the sawmill. Thou shouldst always build ye woodcutter's hut near a forest.[/quote] [code]Now you have to construct a sawmill to process the tree trunks which the woodcutter has felled. After doing that, you should train a carpenter who will work in the sawmill. ------ Now thou must needs construct a sawmill to process the tree trunks which ye woodcutter hath felled. Once thou hath completed that task, thou shouldst train a carpenter who will work in thy new sawmill.[/quote] [code]When you've ensured a sufficient supply of building materials you should turn your attention to the production of food. Construct a fisherman's hut near a water so that you can supply your inn with freshly caught fish. ------ Once thou hath ensured a sufficient supply of building materials, thou canst turn thy attention to the production of food. Construct thou a fisherman's hut near the water so that ye fisherman canst supply thy inn with freshly caught fish.[/quote] [code]Good, but remember that even though there are be plenty of fish in the sea, they will run out sooner or later. To ensure a more stable food source, construct a farm where there's enough room for fields. ------ Good, but forget not that even though ye sea hath fish in plenty, they shall run out sooner or later. To ensure a more stable food source for thy village, thou shouldst construct a farm where there doth be enough room for ye fields.[/quote] [code]Roughly 16 fields should be laid out for the farmer, as close as possible to the farm itself. Now you have to construct a mill to process the corn you harvest. ------ Roughly sixteen fields shouldst be ploughed for ye farmer, as close as thou canst make to the farm itself. Now thou needs to construct a mill to process the corn that thy farmer shalt harvest.[/quote] [code]Great, now you can build a bakery which will supply your inn with fresh bread. Make sure you've always got enough serfs on hand to transport your goods and deliver them quickly to the different buildings. ------ Great, now thou canst build a bakery which shalt supply thy inn with fresh bread. Be sure that thou hath always enough serfs on hand to transport thine goods and deliver them quickly to ye different buildings.[/quote] [code]Apart from just feeding your subjects with fish and bread, you also need to give them something to quench their thirst. Construct a vineyard and lay out about 16 squares of wine field for your farmer to gather grapes from. ------ Apart from just feeding thine loyal subjects with fish and bread, thou also needs give them something to quench their thirst. Construct thee a vineyard and lay out about sixteen squares of wine field for thy farmer to gather ye grape from.[/quote] [code]You are doing well, but your hard-working subjects deserve better food than just bread and wine. To produce meat and skins, construct a swine farm where the animal breeder will breed pigs. ------ Thou art doing well, but thine hard-working subjects deserve better food than just dry bread and wine. To produce meat and skins, construct a swine farm where ye animal breeder shalt breed pigs.[/quote] [code]To process your newly produced meat further, it is necessary to build a butchery. In the butchery, the butcher will produce sausages from your meat. ------ To process thine newly slaughtered meat further, it shalt be necessary for thou to construct a butchery. In the butchery, ye butcher shalt string sausages from thy meat.[/quote] [code]Now that you have secured your food deliveries you should concentrate on your long-term goal, the production of new weapons. Start by building a barracks at a suitable location. ------ Now that thou hath secured thine food deliveries, thou shouldst need concentrate on thine long-term goal; the production of new weapons. Start by building a barracks at a location that doth appear suitable.[/quote] [code]By using the 'Next soldier type' and 'Previous soldier type' buttons you can scroll through the different soldier types which can be equipped. The highlighted squares indicate which pieces of equipment are needed to equip the currently selected soldier. ------ In ye barracks thou canst use the 'Next soldier type' and 'Previous soldier type' buttons to scroll through ye different troops which thou canst have equipped. Ye highlighted squares doth indicate which pieces of equipment shouldst be needed to equip the currently selected soldier.[/quote] [code]If you are to equip soldiers from your barracks, you also need to produce weapons for your troops. Build a weapons workshop near your barracks so that you can ensure quick delivery of the weapons. ------ If thou art to equip soldiers from thy barracks, thou doth also needs produce weapons for thine stalwart fighters. Have thine laborers build thou a weapons workshop near thy barracks so that thou canst ensure quick delivery of ye weapons.[/quote] [code]To place orders for production of equipment, left-click on your newly constructed weapons workshop and then left-click on the 'Increase order amount' button. Always make sure that your weapons workshop has enough timber for producing weapons. ------ To place orders for ye production of equipment, thou shouldst left-click on thy newly constructed weapons workshop and then left-click on ye 'Increase order amount' button. Always be sure thine weapons workshop hath enough timber for producing weapons.[/quote] [code]Without proper equipment your soldiers will end up being slaughtered on the battlefield. To produce new armor for your soldiers, you firstly need a tannery for further processing of your skins. ------ Without proper equipment thine soldiers shalt in troth be slaughtered on the battlefield. To produce new armor for thine troops, thou shouldst firstly need a tannery for further processing of ye skins.[/quote] [code]Now that you have a production of leather running, you need to build an armory workshop. Here a carpenter will create leather armor and wooden shields. ------ Now that thou hath a production of leather underway, thou must needs build an armory workshop. In that very building a carpenter shalt make leather armor and wooden shields.[/quote] [code]Excellent! You now have all the required buildings to run a town and to produce new soldiers. Once you have the proper pieces of equipment needed to equip a specific soldier type, you need to train a recruit from the school and then click the 'Equip current soldier type' button. ------ Excellent! Now thou doth in troth have all ye buildings required to run a town and to equip new soldiers. Once thou shouldst have the proper pieces of equipment thou doth require to equip a specific soldier type, thou shouldst need train a recruit from ye school house and then click the 'Equip current soldier type' button.[/quote] [code]Your aim now is to defeat the two enemy encampments close by. The blue enemy to the south has a strongly fortified base, while the green to the east is merely relying on soldiers. Prepare your troops well before attempting to rid the area of the wicked enemy! ------ Thy aim now is to defeat the two enemy encampments nigh to here. Ye blue enemy to the south is cunning and hath a strongly fortified base, whilest ye green to the east is merely relying on soldiers. Prepare thine troops well before thou doth attempt to rid the area of ye wicked enemy![/quote] [code] The blue player has been defeated! ------ Ye blue player hath been defeated![/quote] [code] The green player has been defeated! ------ Ye green player hath been defeated![/quote] As I said, I shalt in troth welcome any suggestions or improvements thou doth have to make! :wink: I tried to remove some modern words, and make the language seem more flamboyant. I also used the word ye a lot more than I have before, but I'm still not sure if that's a good thing. @Litude: If any of them are too long then let me know, or just cut them down to size yourself. Or maybe some of these will need to be split into two messages. Hope this helps, Lewin.
<<

Greninho

Woodcutter

Post 21 Mar 2009, 20:21

I have one suggestion, Change the "Pike" and "Lance" name... the true name of "lance" is pike... and the Pike is Halberd...

Look...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halberd

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pike_(weapon)
PS: Copy the link and past in your brownser... exist an error with "( )" in the link.

The Pikerman in the game use Halberd... not a Pike.
And the Lancer use a Pike, "not" a lance...

And Rogue... for Slinger?
The Sword fighter to... Swordsman?
<<

Krom

Knights Province Developer

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 21 Mar 2009, 21:01

@Greninho: That sounds convincing to me :)
Knights Province at: http://www.knightsprovince.com
KaM Remake at: http://www.kamremake.com
Original MBWR/WR2/AFC/FVR tools at: http://krom.reveur.de
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Post 22 Mar 2009, 22:17

Yes, Greninho is right. Pike and lance are total mixed up.

However, it's kind of too late to change now. People will get very confused if you change those names now.

As for Rouge->Slinger and Sword fighter -> Swordsman, again, they are better words, but I don't think it can be changed now. (sword fighters are a part of the feeling of KaM, you can't change them now)
However, people may disagree with me, feel free to state your opinion.
Lewin.
<<

harold

Knight

Post 22 Mar 2009, 22:48

Idea 2: make an other version with said units renamed
Then it'd be optional - everyone happy
<<

Greninho

Woodcutter

Post 23 Mar 2009, 03:39

I think it's necessary to correct all the errors, the name of the vehicle workshop had been already changed to siege~, why don't we modify other things?
<<

Krom

Knights Province Developer

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 23 Mar 2009, 06:53

I wouldn't like having zillion of options and settings in KaM. It's only stupid. Keep it simple.

Few examples:
- option to select either hand or hand with dagger as attack action
- option to have watch tower with roof of stone or grass
- option to select rogue FOV 9-13-18 tiles
Knights Province at: http://www.knightsprovince.com
KaM Remake at: http://www.kamremake.com
Original MBWR/WR2/AFC/FVR tools at: http://krom.reveur.de

Return to “1.60 Patch (Service Release 3)”