Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

Service Release 3 - Beta testing has started!

<<

kuba11100

Sword Fighter

Post 24 Aug 2008, 10:55

kuba11100 wrote:
- sometimes, when placing 1 or 2 bowmens to shot some of enemy soldiers, enemy don't react.

To my knowledge, the enemy soldiers might not always initially react, but once you kill of one of their soldiers they should attack you.
I don't remember this in TSK (but I'll check once again), but here I was able to kill some of his groups :/ This also happened in 11 TSK (TPR engine).
Actually, I'm not completely sure about how things are in The Peasants Rebellion Engine, but back in the original The Shattered Kingdom, the AI did use these laborers to repair damaged buildings.
In both TSK and TPR engines they only repaired buildings when they had no !SET_AI_NO_BUILD .
kuba11100 wrote:
- some stone-pieces remain after collecting the whole mountain (brush 140 in Krom's editor)

Same problem here, no idea how to fix.
Maybe try to remove that pieces marked with circles? Screenshot - copy the link, go there, after anti-hotlink site paste the link into the addressbar and press enter
Mission 9 TPR
- I made the player allied with the team that owns only the burning storehouse. I always thought it was completely strange how you could attack the building as I think it's obviously a remnant of the friendly villages that were torn down by the rebels.
I think that destroying it was possible because it's completely useless and another building could be built on its place.
Now for a question. The briefing of mission 8 mentions that you have found blueprints of a very advanced watch tower, yet you can build watch towers in mission 7? Wouldn't it make sense to disable them?
I wanted to say that. I agree with Lewin - almost all that buildings should be allowed in those missions, but watchtowers in 8. I also think that fisherman's hut should be allowed in 1 TSK. Townhall in 11 - I remember there's not much gold in this mission. In 3 TPR there's also watchtower allowed, but not in 4 TPR. Should it be disallowed? And why barracks in 5 TSK is disallowed since SR2? (originally, it was !release barracks and block barracks (without !) in the script).

Also, when I opened 4 TPR in mission editor, I noticed that 7th player (brown) isn't allied with us (doesn't make a difference, because he don't have soldiers) and some pieces of 6th (east yellow) road is placed in 5th (northern yellow) village.

About the animals: I know there should be more in some missions, but don't forget about drunk soldiers bug (caused by too many units, animals are also units in the game, as The Dark Lord said).

What about AI town defense in TSK - some enemies (2 of 3 in 11 TSK) have only 50 (or even 0).
<<

Litude

King Karolus

Post 24 Aug 2008, 15:14

In both TSK and TPR engines they only repaired buildings when they had no !SET_AI_NO_BUILD .
Oh well, it kind of gives a more realistic feeling to have them there on the other hand.
So were those the pieces that were still remaining after cutting the whole mountain?
I think that destroying it was possible because it's completely useless and another building could be built on its place.
Useless, yeah, but I'm pretty sure that making it destroyable was an oversight by Joymania.
I wanted to say that. I agree with Lewin - almost all that buildings should be allowed in those missions, but watchtowers in 8. I also think that fisherman's hut should be allowed in 1 TSK. Townhall in 11 - I remember there's not much gold in this mission.
Hmm... I guess I could make the town hall buildable in mission 11, but I'm not sure what to do with the fisherman's hut...
In 3 TPR there's also watchtower allowed, but not in 4 TPR. Should it be disallowed?
You're right, never realized that.
And why barracks in 5 TSK is disallowed since SR2? (originally, it was !release barracks and block barracks (without !) in the script).
Thanks for reporting, fixed.
Also, when I opened 4 TPR in mission editor, I noticed that 7th player (brown) isn't allied with us (doesn't make a difference, because he don't have soldiers) and some pieces of 6th (east yellow) road is placed in 5th (northern yellow) village.
Fixed both errors.
What about AI town defense in TSK - some enemies (2 of 3 in 11 TSK) have only 50 (or even 0).
Never really understood what exactly this number does.
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Yahoo Messenger: lewinlewinhodgman

Post 25 Aug 2008, 00:52

Hmmm... It might make sense to block siege equipment.
Well I think so. Otherwise it's a lot of new things in mission 7.
Storywise it would make a lot more sense to enable town hall in this mission, but I'm a bit undecided.
Yes, you're right but I still don't think we should. I like making people value these soldiers, and I think it would spoil it if you could train them here. And IIRC the story says that a few barbarians are helping you, but most are still rebeling. So it might be logical just to start with them. There are still 11 other missions to use the town hall in, so I don't think it would be a big problem.
And on another point: Do you think we should block the town hall in some of the later missions, due to weather or not there are roaming barbarians to help you? After all, there can't be that many mercanareis wandering around the country side can there? Just an idea, probably a bad one.
Actually I already did this but forgot to mention it :D. Interestingly, TPR added starting fish to a few misisons (at least 11). Oh and I also added fish to the enemies.
Yes, the enemy should always have some fish, otherwise it looks really odd. It doesn't matter so much if the human team doesn't have any, but the AI should. Also, do you think we should add fisherman's huts to some of the AI's bases? Might make it looks better. (like missions 4, 5 and 7 for example)
I was considering this but it seems like tops of waterfalls are always empty of fish pointing to the fact that in real life they'd just fall down.
Good idea, no fish for the water falls.
You mean that place on the eastern edge of the map? There's not much room for stuff but some decoration could do.
You could fit one or two things.
This was one really weird bug. If you test in game the road is not visible (obviously it isn't because it's underwater), but when I searched for the road piece in the script it wasn't found.
Now if you look at how the roads have been scripted they're quite a mess. So when I spaced up these lines the road piece mysteriously disappeared :?. Makes me wonder if it could be a bug in the way you read the mission files?
Oh, didn't realise that. I'll look into, it could quite easily be an editor bug.
No idea, I've always thought the enemy knows where everything is from the start without any clear ups.
I doubt that they do anything at all. I changed my editor, so it now ignore CLEAR_UPS that are not for the human team. (it would be too hard to let the AI have a section for them too)
I guess they though they'd might be in the way or something.
Maybe, but I doubt that will be an issue. Maybe they thought the fighting would scare them off? I don't know...
Actually, Qages editor only saves the bytes which have been modified so it seems quite reliable. Now it might be slightly hard with his editor but should be possible. JvK's is a bit too unuserfriendly for me :D
Oh, I didn't know that. Well I'd suggest changing the water so it flows right, it will look odd right now.
I personally love JvK's, because it's great for decoding the maps! It shows the values for what they really are, and lets you change them. It's very useful for testing stuff. (I solved the multiplayer lighting bug with his editor) But I agree, you can't make a map with it. More of a debugging tool.
Yeah wolves should be added. If you look at the different maps you'll notice how many misplaced tiles many of them have. The majority of these cannot be seen ingame however.
Yeah, and you don't tend to notice them even if they are visible.
Ducks during winter? Meh... Some wolves could do.
Good point, no ducks then.
Yeah I actually added quite some animals to that mission..
Yeah, well I'm still using beta 3 here, so I don't know what you've done.
Heh, as a matter of fact this is exactly what I've been doing :D.
LOL! Nice to know someones using it...
I'll look at these a bit later.
Ok. Hey I was thinking, on the back of the TPR case it advertises: "Challenging Skirmish Mode" (refering to single missions) Now lets see, the AI doesn't attack, he builds stupid bases and he may, if he feels like it, demolish his storehouse to make way for a "more imporant" building. Challenging????? Don't make me laugh.... We could improve these missions a lot. Here are my suggestions:
- Have the AI launch an attack on you at the start. You may need more troops to defend against that though. Also, it should send a message warning you, we could add a new message that is used by all the single missions.
- Give the AI a proper village with watchtowers and good defece positions and then disable auto building. I don't want them destroying their storehouse...
- Tell the AI to do regular attacks, once they have enough troops.
- Maybe we could put a bit of a story line? With in-game messages? Just an idea...

In my opinion, the single missions should be really difficult. They are for when you've finished both campaigns and you should be a bit of a veteran by then. Right now, you can win them quite easily, because the enemy is really dumb. Or if you prepher we could replace all the single missions with a few of the best fan made ones, but I think that would be a bad idea, better for a mod.
You don't think all the fighting has scared off the wolves? And I'll move that fish group one square downwards. Oh and I have added some fish into that small water close to one of our allies.
Good point, wolfs wouldn't like the fighting. Didn't notice the fish somehow...
I don't know, there's not too much forest in the mission and it's quite filled with enemy soldiers...
Ok, probably not needed then.
One thing I was wondering, should the terrain in the top left corner be changed to reflect that of mission 4?
I don't quite understand you... Do you mean the overlapping thing? If so then I think it should be changed to match the other missions.
There's really no forest.
Yeah, good point.
They swim under certain bridges...? Yeah I could add a few fish to the otherside, but I think the wolves are quite fine, maybe add one to that coal field in the forest.
Yup! They swim under the bridge in mission 1 TSK. (Or at least they used too back in the days of the TSK engine) But I don't think they'll swim under that bridge, because it's not meant for the water.
Nah, it's painful enough to move around in the limited space that is there so adding wolves would just limit this even more.
Yeah, I agree.
Now for a question. The briefing of mission 8 mentions that you have found blueprints of a very advanced watch tower, yet you can build watch towers in mission 7? Wouldn't it make sense to disable them?
Yes, that's quite inconsistant.... And they are practically useless in mission 7, because the map is so open and your bases are a long way from the enemy. (I can't remember using them effecitly here) But in mission 8, they are very useful. I think you should disable them in mission 7, and then maybe you should enable the siege workshop then, otherwise Knights are the only new thing.
Maybe try to remove that pieces marked with circles?
Does it only happen on bit sticking out? So if we flatten the edges all will be well?
Yeah, that's correct. It's a shame really, because I want to have a mission where the enemy repairs, but I'm not prephared to let them run a much auto building.
About the animals: I know there should be more in some missions, but don't forget about drunk soldiers bug (caused by too many units, animals are also units in the game, as The Dark Lord said).
That's a really good point, maybe that's why there's none in 20 TSK? Keep that in mind... I'd rather have no animals than drunk soldiers. :wink:

I don't really care about when the fisherman's hut can be built, it makes little differance.

Lewin.
<<

kuba11100

Sword Fighter

Post 25 Aug 2008, 09:12

So were those the pieces that were still remaining after cutting the whole mountain?
I think so - they're on the same positions in game (after collecting) and editor.
Yes, the enemy should always have some fish, otherwise it looks really odd. It doesn't matter so much if the human team doesn't have any, but the AI should. Also, do you think we should add fisherman's huts to some of the AI's bases? Might make it looks better. (like missions 4, 5 and 7 for example)
I don't know is it a good idea, they'll empty the whole sea and there won't be enough for human player. Making disconnected fisherman's huts (like in 10 TPR) or belong to other player (like brown's quarry in 9 TPR) will be better in my opinion.
Ok. Hey I was thinking, on the back of the TPR case it advertises: "Challenging Skirmish Mode" (refering to single missions) Now lets see, the AI doesn't attack, he builds stupid bases and he may, if he feels like it, demolish his storehouse to make way for a "more imporant" building. Challenging????? Don't make me laugh.... We could improve these missions a lot. Here are my suggestions:
- Have the AI launch an attack on you at the start. You may need more troops to defend against that though. Also, it should send a message warning you, we could add a new message that is used by all the single missions.
- Give the AI a proper village with watchtowers and good defece positions and then disable auto building. I don't want them destroying their storehouse...
- Maybe we could put a bit of a story line? With in-game messages? Just an idea...

In my opinion, the single missions should be really difficult. They are for when you've finished both campaigns and you should be a bit of a veteran by then. Right now, you can win them quite easily, because the enemy is really dumb. Or if you prepher we could replace all the single missions with a few of the best fan made ones, but I think that would be a bad idea, better for a mod.
Sounds great!
<<

Danjb

Sword Fighter

Post 25 Aug 2008, 10:39

I prefer them to auto-build, rather than have a city laid out for them right at the start; that way it's just like the campaign, just the player against a bigger (but stupider) opponent.

If they start with the same as you, it feels more like your typical skirmish, just two even teams battling it out. Well, obviously they'll need to start with a little more to make up for their immense stupidity, but they shouldn't start with everything...
<<

kuba11100

Sword Fighter

Post 25 Aug 2008, 11:02

I think that they should start with a city and soldiers - now they're making terrible mistakes while building (ultra narrow roads, sometimes they just stop building after misplacing one), and now it's possible to quickly build military buildnigs and defeat them or sneak into their village, kill one laborer and they'll stop building.
<<

Litude

King Karolus

Post 25 Aug 2008, 12:19

Hmmm... What about
Mission 2: Fisherman's hut, leather, sausages
Mission 4: Scouts, gold production
Mission 5: Iron production, ally
Mission 7: Stables, active ally
Mission 8: Watchtowers (siege workshop?)
Mission 9: Limited Barbarians, siege workshop
Mission 11: Town hall
And on another point: Do you think we should block the town hall in some of the later missions, due to weather or not there are roaming barbarians to help you? After all, there can't be that many mercanareis wandering around the country side can there? Just an idea, probably a bad one.
Nah, that doesn't sound like fun.
I could take a look whether there could be some suitable place for fisherman's huts in the missions. They have to be deattached from the road to prevent them from emptying the sea of fish however.
Good idea, no fish for the water falls.
Hmm... In one of the multiplayer maps there is indeed fish above the waterfall and the waters do look empty without fish :?. Wonder what to do...
Maybe, but I doubt that will be an issue. Maybe they thought the fighting would scare them off? I don't know...
Yeah but there really is no fighting at the start of many of the missions. And certain battle missions do have wolves, like mission 13 TSK.
Oh, I didn't know that. Well I'd suggest changing the water so it flows right, it will look odd right now.
Yeah I fixed it, turned out ways easier than I expected.
You are so right at these missions being merely some fill-up material that pretty much noone bothers to play (honestly I've only finished three of the skirmish missions), so some real big changes should be done to them in order to make them worthwhile.
Changing these missions would really require quite a lot of work, so I will start looking at the possibilities after beta 4.
Nah, I think we should try keeping the map files intact, but the scripts should be revised.
Yup! They swim under the bridge in mission 1 TSK. (Or at least they used too back in the days of the TSK engine) But I don't think they'll swim under that bridge, because it's not meant for the water.
Interesting... Never paid attention to that.
Yeah, that's correct. It's a shame really, because I want to have a mission where the enemy repairs, but I'm not prephared to let them run a much auto building.
If the AI has pretty much every building already pre-built, do they still decide to continue building if you add that piece of scriot?
That's a really good point, maybe that's why there's none in 20 TSK? Keep that in mind... I'd rather have no animals than drunk soldiers. :wink:
Hardly, this bug did not exist in the TSK engine, actually it came to the game in the 1.56 patch for TPR so that's by no means the reason.
I think so - they're on the same positions in game (after collecting) and editor.
I guess it's worth a try.
<<

kuba11100

Sword Fighter

Post 25 Aug 2008, 13:34

5 TSK:
- as reported before, blocked barracks
- some purple enemy's soldiers on horses does not keep positions
- too big radius of blue enemy's southern soldiers - after their attack, they were taking more and more...
suggestions:
- remove no yellow soldiers lost goal and add new attacks on yellow's town?
- add more coal to blue enemy?
<<

Litude

King Karolus

Post 25 Aug 2008, 17:45

5 TSK:
- as reported before, blocked barracks
Yeah, fixed.
- some purple enemy's soldiers on horses does not keep positions
Sounds strange, will take a look
- too big radius of blue enemy's southern soldiers - after their attack, they were taking more and more...
Okay.
suggestions:
- remove no yellow soldiers lost goal and add new attacks on yellow's town?
This would be really hard to make possible in a bug-proof way, thing being that the new AI is pretty much not interested in detroying allied buildings, only troops. This means that I'd have to hardcode attacks on each of their buildings and if one of the attacks fail the enemy won't be defeated.
Before you ask, yes, the battle missions have hardcoded attacks for destroying the buildings. It won't break in these as they are a lot less random than normal missions.
- add more coal to blue enemy?
Probably should get some more.

After looking at the case in mission 5, I came up with an idea how to fix the problem with the enemy never attacking your ally in mission 4 TPR, that is we add some soldiers to our ally in this mission and if they are defeated you lose. In my opinion this sounds like a good idea and it should work out. The warning message should naturally be changed to reflect this change.
Oh and I think some clear-ups should be added to the ally base. In all other missions, the allied base is cleared up from the start, but not in this one. I'm positive it was forgotten, because the ally was added to this misison during the very last moments of development.

@kuba11100: I changed some lines slightly and added a new one, could you check the translation topic please?
<<

Litude

King Karolus

Post 25 Aug 2008, 19:45

Hey I think I found a possible solution for allowing laborers to repair buildings, yet not to construct additional ones.
I haven't yet tried it, but I'll make an attempt at removing the !SET_AI_NO_BUILD from the script, but instead I will block all buildings from the team! I'm going to try this right now actually.
EDIT: Well I should have guessed it, but anyways the block_house command has no affect on the AI.

EDIT2: I finished some draft of what could be mission 4 TPR depending on whether people actually like it after the changes. You can download the dat file from here (Right-click and Save target as...). Also note that the messages are probably going to be gibberish without updated lib files. They should be:

First message
  Code:
The dastardly attack by our enemies hath indeed left a cruel mark on the village of our ally. I stress upon thee that thou must needs protect thine allied troops from further attacks, or otherwise they shall be deeply humiliated and crushed by our enemies![/quote] [i]Second message[/i] [code]Our scouts report that thy enemy hath enslaved most of thine citizens in the area. Storm their defenses but destroy only their military buildings, leaving thine enslaved settlers unharmed. This shouldst surely send thy enemy into glorious retreat and free thy citizens![/quote] It's quite a major change to the mission, but it's more faithful to the original idea in the meaning that you now have to protect your allies. And I hope the burning effect makes sure you realize it :D. Still it might be enough to just create an initial attack and not make their village burn etc. Well, you decide! :D
<<

kuba11100

Sword Fighter

Post 25 Aug 2008, 21:37

Hey I think I found a possible solution for allowing laborers to repair buildings, yet not to construct additional ones.
I haven't yet tried it, but I'll make an attempt at removing the !SET_AI_NO_BUILD from the script, but instead I will block all buildings from the team! I'm going to try this right now actually.
EDIT: Well I should have guessed it, but anyways the block_house command has no affect on the AI.
It won't work.
First message
  Code:
The dastardly attack by our enemies hath indeed left a cruel mark on the village of our ally. I stress upon thee that thou must needs protect thine allied troops from further attacks, or otherwise they shall be deeply humiliated and crushed by our enemies![/quote][/quote] Could you write this message in simple English, please?
<<

Litude

King Karolus

Post 25 Aug 2008, 21:47

Could you write this message in simple English, please?
I'll try my best and hopefully the meaning won't change that much. Some words just happen to be a bit difficult to change :(.

"The dastardly attack by our enemies left a terrible mark on the village of our ally.
You should concentrate on protecting your allied troops from further attacks, or otherwise they shall be deeply humiliated [upokarzać, according to wiktionary] and crushed by our enemies."

I do not recommend translating it just yet however, chances are there might be some change done to the way the initial attack is set up and simultaneously leads to a change in the message.
<<

Danjb

Sword Fighter

Post 25 Aug 2008, 21:51

Guys, I think it's great that this patch is being made to fix many of the bugs and inconsistencies in the game, but I'd just like to try and discourage you from changing too much. It can be very easy to go a tad too far...

I've not read through everything, but one example I can think of is the watchtowers in level 7. I can see why you might consider disabling them because of the plot that follows, but I'm sure I used watchtowers in that mission and I'd hate to see them disabled. I'm sure the makers of the game knew at least roughly what they were doing, so let's not undo too much of what they've done.

And as for things like wolves being scared off by the fighting... I think you might be reading a bit too much into it!

Feel free to ignore all this, I'm just concerned about keeping true to the game.

EDIT: Also, since when did KaM contain simple english??

EDIT2: Ah, unless of course that's just for translation purposes, in which case ignore me entirely :wink:
<<

Litude

King Karolus

Post 25 Aug 2008, 21:53

Yeah but think about it, why write into the briefing of the next mission that technology to allow construction of advanced watch towers has been discovered if you could build exactly the same stuff in the previous mission? That doesn't make any sense at all, so it had to be an error on the developers side, right?
<<

Danjb

Sword Fighter

Post 25 Aug 2008, 21:55

Maybe the watchtowers have some invisible improvements :S

It doesn't have to make perfect sense... And even if it was a mistake, it's a mistake I'd happily keep in the game.

But on this occasion I do see where you're coming from. Just my two cents.

Return to “1.60 Patch (Service Release 3)”