Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

My Remake, (modification, and other)

<<

pawel95

Castle Guard Swordsman

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Post 28 Sep 2012, 19:23

Re: My Remake, (modification, and other)

Do you mean the BIG shadow? if yeah, i have no place for the shadow :D Lewin,Krom: Can i make the picture bigger like 15*14 or will it not work than in Remake.

TDl, it is still in progress :D I only want to know, better or not, because of a view from maker, every job is good in his eyes :D
<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

KaM Skill Level: Veteran

Post 28 Sep 2012, 19:26

Well previous shadow was not dark enough, I'd say this one is slightly too dark. But the shadow should really be closer to the flowers, like the originals!
<<

pawel95

Castle Guard Swordsman

Post 28 Sep 2012, 20:03

Good improvement! I'm still not fond of the shadow though. :P
However i will stop my working up to here. Because implement in editor has a difference (shadow) to implement it via Photshop.
So lewin/krom, how can i implement it in editor/game. only replacin number in EXPORT does not work?!
.Rxx file i should open, but WinRar only can open it, when i have the original .rar :P
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Yahoo Messenger: lewinlewinhodgman

Post 29 Sep 2012, 05:34

However i will stop my working up to here. Because implement in editor has a difference (shadow) to implement it via Photshop.
So lewin/krom, how can i implement it in editor/game. only replacin number in EXPORT does not work?!
.Rxx file i should open, but WinRar only can open it, when i have the original .rar :P
Put them in a folder called "Sprites" in your KaM Remake folder (you might have to create it). Note: Updating the game to a new version might delete things from this folder so make sure you keep a copy before you update.

You should name them as they are when you export them (as of the RCs, r3392 used different names when exporting). So if you want to replace the original double flower name your file 1_0014.png, save it in Sprites then restart the game and you should see it. Smooth shadows will not be generated for it because we do that while packing the images into the RXX file.

The RXX files are our own custom format so you can't open them with WinRAR or anything. We have a tool that automatically generates them from the source image files. We are working on an editor for the RXX files but it's not finished yet so putting them in the Sprites folder is the simplest way to get new graphics into the game.
Cheers,
Lewin.
P.S. Regarding the shadow, turn "shadow quality" to low in settings so you can see the original flower's shadow more clearly. Your current shadow is too far sideways, it needs to be more behind the flower. Try to make it like the original flower's shadow, since yours is about the same height.
<<

pawel95

Castle Guard Swordsman

Post 29 Sep 2012, 16:21

Ah, now I can see it in game :D Thx for that
And a big thank you for the simple tip to work with LOW shado- settings, now i exactly see my faults :-)

EDIT:

Here is a new voting picture. Are the new flowers/flowers´s shadows better than the old one?
I think "FIXED SHADOW 2" is the best one. The Shadow is similar to the original shadows from the game(flowers),the shadow is near the flower(like TDL said it) and I think it would be look really nice, if you zoom out, like you play normaly and with HIGH Shadow settings in options?!
What do you think, has FIxED SHADOW 2 a good shadow now, or not?

pawel95
<<

Siegfried

Knight

Post 30 Sep 2012, 08:51

Well, the flowers form a V-shape, so maybe you should try to reprocude that in the shadow. So remove the one black point from the middle and Shadow 2 will look even better I think.

The flower is very good now.
<<

pawel95

Castle Guard Swordsman

Post 30 Sep 2012, 18:39

Lol now you think the shadow is Ok or even worse? Idk?!

"The flower on the north is the actual one(On the bottom are older one):"

<<

Krom

Knights Province Developer

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 30 Sep 2012, 18:49

Bottom-center one, with smaller shadow looks good to me )
Knights Province at: http://www.knightsprovince.com
KaM Remake at: http://www.kamremake.com
Original MBWR/WR2/AFC/FVR tools at: http://krom.reveur.de
<<

pawel95

Castle Guard Swordsman

Post 30 Sep 2012, 19:42

Bottom-center one, with smaller shadow looks good to me )
Lol Krom, but you know that the flower on bottom center is quite the same like on top? The shadow has only little bit differences, because of the elevation,i think.

Can i send it maybe to you, you would pack it via .rxx file, and post here a screen with HIGHT shadow settings in game, if you would have time,that i can imagine, what I can do with the shadow now?!

pawel95
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Post 01 Oct 2012, 01:58

Lol Krom, but you know that the flower on bottom center is quite the same like on top? The shadow has only little bit differences, because of the elevation,i think.
The shadow will not change with elevation. The sprites are just painted flat over the terrain, there's not stretching to match the shape of the terrain, so the pixels (and thus shadows) will always look the same no matter what shape the surface is. I still think most of the shadows you showed there are a bit too wide and too sideways. On a clock face you put the shadow at 2 o'clock, I think 1 o'clock (or half way between) would be more suitable, that's more like the other objects in the game.
I think the flowers/stems might need a bit more detail, they look like they are under flood lighting from every direction (ignoring the shadow) Maybe try using slightly darker colors on the sides facing away from the light? Not too dark or it will look strange. Overall they look great though :)
<<

pawel95

Castle Guard Swordsman

Post 01 Oct 2012, 14:33

Ok, i will try to fix this on Tuesday(no school :-) )
I hope you understand all, that it isnt so easy with this LIGHT-Shadow thingi in KaM. Normaly, like i said before, you can put a big picture e.g in blender and put a "SUN" at bottom left corner, and you have a shadow(when you built a 3d object)
With so small objects, one pixel to the north/south can damage the whole Shadow from the flower. However i will try it :D

Ok, what do you think about the shadow now? Now i tried to make it more in 1 o´clock style.
And Lewin, i fixed the flowers´grass^^ a little bit, however it does not show a big difference, because like I said, if I want add a new pixel, the flower would look really bad :-( I try to make one extra "layer" with a bit darker green:

<<

Kridge

Crossbowman

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 02 Oct 2012, 12:06

the last one on the right is good i think. It does not stand out as much as it did in your earlier versions.
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Post 03 Oct 2012, 15:12

I think the direction of the shadow is good now, it's like other objects. But I think the shadow is a bit too long, maybe reduce it by 1-2px? Currently the shadow is about as long as the flower, as if the sun is right down on the horizon. Other objects don't have quite such long shadows.

I still think the colors/shading could improve a bit. It looks a bit too "simple" at the moment. For example the flower on the right is angled a bit away from the sun, so it should be a bit darker on the face that is not pointing towards the sun. And the right side of the stem could be a bit darker too. It looks like you only used 6 or so colors for the whole flower (although I didn't examine it closely), so maybe you could add a few more shades in appropriate places?
<<

Siegfried

Knight

Post 03 Oct 2012, 15:32

Btw: are you aware that we've done an amazing job in thread hijacking? Maybe split the flower to another topic; this would also increase the readability.

Is there any chance this flower could make it into the next release? It does not need to be perfect then, but people should be given the opportunity to place it in their maps.
<<

pawel95

Castle Guard Swordsman

Post 03 Oct 2012, 15:55

Hey, I have fixed the Shadow now the 6th time :D and deleted 3 Pixels, maybe it looks better now.
I also tried to make the Brightness higher on the left side(specially Southwest) than on the right side.
However I do not know, if it looks now even worse :rolleyes:

Return to “Other Creations”