Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Register  •  Login

New unit brainstorm

<<

EDMatt

Knight

Posts: 409

Joined: 08 Jul 2012, 00:43

KaM Skill Level: Expert

Post 22 Jan 2013, 02:14

New unit brainstorm

Hi guys,

I was thinking, I would be able to draw any one unit for KAM ( 1 unit only as I dont have much time to take up many huge projects at this moment), and I was thinking if there could be a possibility of a new useful unit that will fit into the game?

so we can discuss possible ideas in this topic.


PLEASE, NO SPAM/USELESS SARCASTIC STATEMENTS OR IRONIC BULLCORN!

Keep this topic serious please!
Image

Roses are red
violets are blue
I.G. is blessed
To be the BEST!!
<<

Krom

User avatar

Knights Province Developer

Posts: 3237

Joined: 09 May 2006, 22:00

Location: Russia

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 22 Jan 2013, 06:08

Re: New unit brainstorm

I suggest you to redraw one existing unit to test your skills (kinda obvious suggestion from me, who rewrites an existing game xD). Seriously though, start some practice and see how it goes ) It's better doing what you like, instead of doing what "that guy ordered" you to draw )
Knights Province at: http://www.knightsprovince.com
KaM Remake at: http://www.kamremake.com
Original MBWR/WR2/AFC/FVR tools at: http://krom.reveur.de
<<

sado1

User avatar

Council Member

Posts: 1396

Joined: 21 May 2012, 19:13

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Post 22 Jan 2013, 08:08

Re: New unit brainstorm

Whatever you'll do, it will not be implemented because it will break balance. If you mean military units of course. So if I was you, I'd think about drawing civil units.
horselancepikeman on horse!
<<

Krom

User avatar

Knights Province Developer

Posts: 3237

Joined: 09 May 2006, 22:00

Location: Russia

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 22 Jan 2013, 08:16

Re: New unit brainstorm

Draw a fox :)
Knights Province at: http://www.knightsprovince.com
KaM Remake at: http://www.kamremake.com
Original MBWR/WR2/AFC/FVR tools at: http://krom.reveur.de
<<

The Dark Lord

User avatar

King Karolus Servant

Posts: 2152

Joined: 29 Aug 2007, 22:00

Location: In his dark thunderstormy castle

KaM Skill Level: Veteran

Post 22 Jan 2013, 10:11

Re: New unit brainstorm

Yeah, some new animals would be nice. A snow wolf maybe? :)
<<

dicsoupcan

Moorbach's Guard

Posts: 1314

Joined: 12 Feb 2012, 21:36

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 22 Jan 2013, 10:31

Re: New unit brainstorm

maybe a bear? :D
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. ~ Winston Churchill
<<

ChrisEggII

User avatar

Sword Fighter

Posts: 254

Joined: 01 May 2012, 15:04

Location: Poland

Post 22 Jan 2013, 22:57

Re: New unit brainstorm

Or cows?
<<

EDMatt

Knight

Posts: 409

Joined: 08 Jul 2012, 00:43

KaM Skill Level: Expert

Post 23 Jan 2013, 19:24

Re: New unit brainstorm

sado1 wrote:Whatever you'll do, it will not be implemented because it will break balance. If you mean military units of course. So if I was you, I'd think about drawing civil units.
horselancepikeman on horse!

Are you saying that there is no possible military unit that could be added to the game and fit to the kam style?

What about adding 2 recruits to the excisting catapult sprites that will push it?
Image

Roses are red
violets are blue
I.G. is blessed
To be the BEST!!
<<

sado1

User avatar

Council Member

Posts: 1396

Joined: 21 May 2012, 19:13

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Post 23 Jan 2013, 20:27

Re: New unit brainstorm

I had an idea with Romek about adding the barbarian and warrior to the game, but instead of making the Townhall we want it to happen the normal way. We want to introduce a new building (or rather, recycle an old one) that would produce "big axes" required by these units. In our initial idea, barbarian would "cost" 1 big axe and a recruit, warrior would cost 1 big axe, 1 iron armor and 1 recruit. We're not sure what kind of resources would be needed for 1 big axe (to be honest, I hope we'll think of something easy, brilliant and balanced at once), but looking at the fighting balance perspective, it seems like a nice idea. The barbarian would be a really interesting unit, because it has a better attack then axemen or swordsmen, but on the other hand it doesn't have the defence boost against ranged units (which only shielded units have). So, it might become good for a countering melee-only army, but will not that overpowered because ranged units kill them more easily. Rock, paper, scissors.

Pros and cons: (I might edit it later if we find more):
+we can finally make this unit
+no townhall needed - this is done the normal way
-I've heard that now barbarian kills Knight without much effort (ofc without shooters around) - it might need to be balanced out
-we'd need someone to make the building, and animations for making a big axe - maybe Matt can do that


(The building might also make slingshots and pitchforks in the future but the idea for now is only about the big axe units.)
<<

The Dark Lord

User avatar

King Karolus Servant

Posts: 2152

Joined: 29 Aug 2007, 22:00

Location: In his dark thunderstormy castle

KaM Skill Level: Veteran

Post 23 Jan 2013, 20:32

Re: New unit brainstorm

I don't think we should search for ways to add these units to the game just because they exist. There is a reason why barbarians are imbalanced: because you can't make them. I'd rather have catapults in the game than recruitable barbarians.
<<

pawel95

User avatar

Castle Guard Swordsman

Posts: 1911

Joined: 03 Oct 2008, 22:00

Location: "Pawel95" on Youtube.com

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Post 23 Jan 2013, 20:33

Re: New unit brainstorm

To Matt: You are a good drawer? I have also tried to make a animal,but at the end it is only a dandelion=> Image You must draw than like 100 pics i think. ( i think so). For a unit you need like maybe 2-4* animations for one step. But that wasn´t all. You need to make these pictures for all 8 directions i think, so it will be really hard,but editing one existing unit like the serf and making then new one,is quite possible.

*I have looked up in export files of the Remake. So the serf has 8 pictures for ONE direction to move :P
8x8= 64. The Serf in the Remake has 64 pictures,so it will be hard.



To sado:
I like the idea, only point i wanna add is that it would be easier to implement it first to the siege workshop,when the "big axe" also needs iron and wood.

To TDL: Why do you think are barbarians imbalanced? It depends how much they will cost,doesn´t it? :D
Last edited by pawel95 on 23 Jan 2013, 20:46, edited 5 times in total.
<<

The Dark Lord

User avatar

King Karolus Servant

Posts: 2152

Joined: 29 Aug 2007, 22:00

Location: In his dark thunderstormy castle

KaM Skill Level: Veteran

Post 23 Jan 2013, 20:38

Re: New unit brainstorm

Well ok, you're right about that. ;)
<<

EDMatt

Knight

Posts: 409

Joined: 08 Jul 2012, 00:43

KaM Skill Level: Expert

Post 23 Jan 2013, 23:32

Re: New unit brainstorm

The Dark Lord wrote:I don't think we should search for ways to add these units to the game just because they exist. There is a reason why barbarians are imbalanced: because you can't make them. I'd rather have catapults in the game than recruitable barbarians.

I don't think its that difficult to balance out the barbarians, just increase the cost.
Also the unit is badly needed in the game, as there is little that can counter sword fighters.

pawel95 wrote:To Matt: You are a good drawer? I have also tried to make a animal,but at the end it is only a dandelion=> Image You must draw than like 100 pics i think. ( i think so). For a unit you need like maybe 2-4* animations for one step. But that wasn´t all. You need to make these pictures for all 8 directions i think, so it will be really hard,but editing one existing unit like the serf and making then new one,is quite possible.

*I have looked up in export files of the Remake. So the serf has 8 pictures for ONE direction to move :P
8x8= 64. The Serf in the Remake has 64 pictures,so it will be hard.



To sado:
I like the idea, only point i wanna add is that it would be easier to implement it first to the siege workshop,when the "big axe" also needs iron and wood.

To TDL: Why do you think are barbarians imbalanced? It depends how much they will cost,doesn´t it? :D


I am well aware of how sprite sheets work, I have done pixel art animation before.
Image

Roses are red
violets are blue
I.G. is blessed
To be the BEST!!
<<

Bo_

User avatar

Knight

Posts: 538

Joined: 26 Apr 2012, 17:18

Location: Belgium

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 23 Jan 2013, 23:35

Re: New unit brainstorm

High cost, can counter sword fighters AND it's recruitable. Isn't that supposed to be the knight?
I mean don't forget that it's all about rock paper scissors.
Kick fast, think Bo.
<<

EDMatt

Knight

Posts: 409

Joined: 08 Jul 2012, 00:43

KaM Skill Level: Expert

Post 24 Jan 2013, 13:02

Re: New unit brainstorm

mr Bo wrote:High cost, can counter sword fighters AND it's recruitable. Isn't that supposed to be the knight?
I mean don't forget that it's all about rock paper scissors.

As I said in my previous post, "There is little that can counter".
I am not saying that its impossible to counter it, i am just saying that there arent many ways at all.
Image

Roses are red
violets are blue
I.G. is blessed
To be the BEST!!
Next

Return to Other Creations

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron