Island Kingdoms - New MP map

<<

godest

Lance Carrier

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Post 22 May 2013, 06:44

Island Kingdoms - New MP map

Hello everyone!

I have finished a new multiplayer map which i hope will be a great addition to the growing pool of multiplayer maps. This map is XXL and rich in every resource. Its best played with four teams: 2v2v2v2, but can also be played with two teams: 4v4. Every team of two starts on an island with vast resources. However, these resources wont secure the game for you. Every player and team should strive to reach beyond their own island, to collect even more resources and win the game. Not every start position is balanced to 100% (by that i mean with the EXACT(on the dot) same amount of resources). I built the map and balanced it only by my own perceptiveness. But it turns out that all start positions are pretty decent (after some testing).

I would really like if as many players as possible tried out the map, and if there are problems, please report them asap. I really hope this map will make it into the Remake, cause i feel that there should be more maps that are viable for 2v2v2v2 teams.

You will find a download link bellow, aswell as a preview of the map.

Screenshot:

Map:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/pycpd ... ngdoms.zip
A mage is never late - Gandalf
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 22 May 2013, 07:29

Re: Island Kingdoms - New MP map

The problem is that you won't find many who will play 2v2v2v2.
I used to spam this forum so much...
<<

godest

Lance Carrier

Post 22 May 2013, 08:07

Doubt that is the issue, iv played several maps with 2v2v2v2 :) On both Vulcano Valley and Cursed Ravine :D
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 22 May 2013, 08:33

Any game where you have more than two teams can very well lead to camping, because sending soldiers out of your base to attack leaves you vulnerable. Yet, if you are playing Cursed Ravine as 2v2v2v2, or Volcano Valley in any setting, I can see that five-hour games are not an issue for you.

Topic moved, by the way.
<<

godest

Lance Carrier

Post 22 May 2013, 08:38

Well, to be honest i dont see the use for this discussion. Rather than arguing over the overall/core map design, i was hoping for feedback on balance and how it plays out. Not everyone plays 4v4 :) OT: 2v2v2v2 can be a verry interesting - long/short matches depending on a different factors such as scouting, teams playstyle and such.
<<

Smogon

Militia

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 22 May 2013, 08:58

the map looks really nice and well balanced imo.
looking forward to do a game on this map since i like long games :)
<<

dicsoupcan

Moorbach's Guard

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 22 May 2013, 11:39

If i may be blunt, there is no way i see this game coming to an end. There is no good way to attack anyone his base because you have no space for your soldiers to move in. I recommend making the bridges more wide so the attacker does not have a huge disadvantage. That is all i can say about it really.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. ~ Winston Churchill
<<

godest

Lance Carrier

Post 22 May 2013, 12:53

Thats why there are 4 bridges on each island. The map is about resouce control and if you camp on your island you will loose in the long run. How about testing the map instead of guessing the outcome :)?

2 small bridges allows around 3 soliders to move over in each "wave", these bridges are ideal for Knights to rush into someones town, the other two larger bridges allow up to 4 each, maybe more. Sure enough you can waste all your building space to spam towers, but then again, the same can be said with most similar maps (such as Volcano valley which only has one entrance).
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 22 May 2013, 16:16

Thats why there are 4 bridges on each island. The map is about resouce control and if you camp on your island you will loose in the long run. How about testing the map instead of guessing the outcome ?
Do NOT underestimate dicsoupcan's understanding of the game. He doesn't need to play on this map to know that it will have insane camping. Two players can easily cover the bridges, and if they decide to camp, nothing will stop them.

Maybe less skilled players won't be able to train enough troops to abuse this map, but the more skilled players? It would be a nightmare.
<<

sado1

Council Member

Post 22 May 2013, 17:15

I really, REALLY don't like to be complaining about other people's creations, but you are very mistaken... if anyone tries to attack on this map then he gets smashed by the enemy at the other side of the entrance, who will just stand with his shooters and wait until the enemy bleeds out. Not to mention, it's very easy to block all the entrances, which will make it very difficult for the attacking side. You are punishing people for being offensive, if you make such small passages.

Not to mention that the map doesn't look good. I mean, even my map is waaaaaaaaay below the level of the best mapmakers, but at least it doesn't have only 1 type of terrain in 90% of the map (your map has only 1 type of grass, coal and mountains). It's a long way to become a good mapmaker. You should take a look at the top played maps (like Golden Cliffs, Cursed Ravine, Back in the Desert, Paradise Island...) - you will see that the terrain types are always mixed up, there are lots of small details there, much more objects etc.

Another thing are your mountains, which I find boring. Again, you should see how the top maps look like, and draw conclusions. Your mountains are way too smooth and undetailed, they should be sharp and edgy. You might want to find you favourite style. For example, some mapmakers (like TDL) make very sharp edged mountains, while others (koczis, To) make smoother but still nice and detailed mountains.

Then, if the map is about resource control, I'd say that all the locations have way too much resources. For the resources to deplete after ~1:30 you need more or less 1000 stone, 300 gold, 300 iron, 900 coal (gold will be enough for even more time I think). You have (per loc): 3000-3500 stone (...!), 1000-1300 coal, 400-450 gold, 280-400 iron. Also, you didn't really balance the locations. I just looked at the iron, and some locations can build 3 iron mines each, one of them has 4, and all the other ones have 5. This leads to situations where one of the teams can build 10 iron mines, while the other team can make only 6. That's unfair.

Don't get me wrong, I'm just trying to help you become better, and see the things that you could improve.
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 22 May 2013, 17:28

Very good thoughts, Sado, I agree 100%, and you saved me time from writing :wink:

I would also like to add the you have way too many straight lines. It gives the map a very unnatural look.
<<

godest

Lance Carrier

Post 22 May 2013, 18:05

it seems to me that none of you have played Vulcano valley? or maybe you just think that its a terrible map aswell?
<<

pawel95

Castle Guard Swordsman

Post 22 May 2013, 18:09

Vulcano valley? or maybe you just think that its a terrible map aswell?
I think many people agree with that point :rolleyes: :D
<<

godest

Lance Carrier

Post 22 May 2013, 18:11

Vulcano valley? or maybe you just think that its a terrible map aswell?
I think many people agree with that point :rolleyes: :D
Beats me then why so many play it?
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 22 May 2013, 18:11

We've certainly played Volcano Valley. The games there can easily lead to a long and terrible stalemate, but your map will probably be even more extreme.
Here's a video showing the frustration of attacking a camper on Volcano Valley: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFiOf8LJmfI

Return to “Map Design”