Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

Creating a map/mission

<<

Kage

Peasant

KaM Skill Level: Average

Post 09 Jul 2017, 07:52

Creating a map/mission

Guys, I'm not sure if this is the right place for opening such a topic but I don't know where it would match better.

Does everybody creating missions use only dynamic scrypts these days? I was trying to make my own missions. I've made couple of maps (with which I've had a couple of problems too - like e.g. with walls, hills etc. - but that's just because of my not perfect skills) and it's quite fun for me but I can't make a really functioning mission because I use only what the editor in KaM Remake offers to me in things like making enemies, planning attacks etc. And here's the problem: I don't know if it's just me but really annoying and awful things happen when I work on my mission after my map is ready. Like - I'm trying to create attacks but the attacks don't happen (even though the enemy has enough of soldiers and I mark groups of soldiers to attack). The enemy armies behave weird, groups of soldiers change their places with other groups - I don't know why that happens. When I change their positions in places as they seem to "want to" be, then other groups start behaving like that. It's weird and annoying. I want e.g. 3 people here and 10 people somewhere else and after the game starts they swap their places and I don't know why it's happening. When the enemy destroys all my important buildings and soldiers the game doesn't stop and I'm still not losing... Again, I've set conditions when I should win and when my enemies should win but it seems like the game doesn't care about that xd

So, my question is: do you have the same problems? Is the editor not complete? Or maybe you have no such problems? Do I have to learn dynamic scrypting, otherwise I can't make a functioning mission? I have no idea what I'm doing wrong.
<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

KaM Skill Level: Veteran

Post 09 Jul 2017, 10:34

Re: Creating a map/mission

Your problem lies definitely within your script. Assuming that you created their defense positions correctly, soldiers changing position at the start of the mission is simply caused by a wrong order in which their groups and defense positions are placed within the script.
If you do it like this, it should work:

- Set group X
- Set defense position X
- Set group Y
- Set defense position Y
- etc.

My guess is that what you have right now is more like this:

- Set group Y
- Set group W
- Set group Z
- Set group X
- Set group V
- Set defense position Z
- Set defense position V
- Set defense position Y
- Set defense position X
- Set defense position W

Attacks not working is more complicated. I can not help with that without seeing your script.

All in all - it is possible to create a mission without dynamic scripts, but your possibilities are much more limited and you have less control over what's going on.
<<

Kage

Peasant

Post 09 Jul 2017, 11:08

But the point is I'm only using the editor in KaM Remake and its functions. I don't write any codes. I have no idea of programming/codes. Do I have to? To have a well functioning mission?
<<

Black

Warrior

Post 09 Jul 2017, 12:01

First of all, what type of map do you have in mind?

Generally you don't need to know how to script to have a good map. You can check other maps and you will find some good ones without any script. You only have to learn a bit how to use the editor ;) After that you can introduce yourself to scripts to "have more possibilities".
<<

Kage

Peasant

Post 09 Jul 2017, 18:59

First of all, what type of map do you have in mind?
What do you mean exactly?
It's a mission for 1 player, 100x100, just you and three enemies.
Generally you don't need to know how to script to have a good map. You can check other maps and you will find some good ones without any script. You only have to learn a bit how to use the editor ;) After that you can introduce yourself to scripts to "have more possibilities".
Well then I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I'm having fun with that editor for couple of days and I check all its functions I think and still I don't know why attacks don't appear even though I've set up all necesarry conditions for them.

When it comes to positions...
If you do it like this, it should work:

- Set group X
- Set defense position X
- Set group Y
- Set defense position Y
- etc.

My guess is that what you have right now is more like this:

- Set group Y
- Set group W
- Set group Z
- Set group X
- Set group V
- Set defense position Z
- Set defense position V
- Set defense position Y
- Set defense position X
- Set defense position W
So, in the editor I should set a group X somewhere and my next step should be setting a defence position for them there?
Because I placed all groups first and then I set all defence positions for them (and probably not in the same order).
That makes sense. I'll try to do it later.

Also, why the game doesn't end when all my soldiers and buildings are destroyed even though I set winning conditions for my enemies?
<<

Krom

Knights Province Developer

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 10 Jul 2017, 05:03

>> Also, why the game doesn't end when all my soldiers and buildings are destroyed even though I set winning conditions for my enemies?

Enemies don't need win conditions. Only players loose condition should be enough. You can look up the setup of such conditions in any standard TSK/TPR mission (just copy the map from "campaigns" to "maps" to see it in SP map list)
Knights Province at: http://www.knightsprovince.com
KaM Remake at: http://www.kamremake.com
Original MBWR/WR2/AFC/FVR tools at: http://krom.reveur.de

Return to “Map Design”