Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

Does anyone play custom single player maps?

<<

CharlieScene

Peasant

KaM Skill Level: Average

Post 03 Jan 2017, 14:43

Does anyone play custom single player maps?

Hey guys,

I'm kinda new to KAM Remake and I remember that back in the day the fan maps were really popular. I would check Lewin's page every now and then to see whats new and try the vast majority of the maps. But here it really seems that the community is redirected into playing multiplayer maps, given the fact that I see SP creations from two years ago with no rating. My question is, is anyone really interested in single player anymore?
<<

thunder

Moorbach's Guard

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 03 Jan 2017, 18:21

Re: Does anyone play custom single player maps?

Heyho!
Well I would recommend to check the MAP topic. Most maps are presented here or uploaded to KaM Repos. Personaly I dont really know the Single player maps, but as I know most of the new SP maps are parts of a bigger campaign. So mostly You can find them here in the map topic.
Or join to TS and or MP lobbies and ask players about speciel maps. I heard that guy had a new campy map, or i heard that guy made a new AI fight system...etc.
have fun for researching;)

Almost forget. The teamspeak servers have MAParchive also!
KaMTS.eu
or
ts.exoduscommunity.com
<<

cmowla

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Expert

Post 03 Jan 2017, 20:53

I still like single player maps, but I rarely play them anymore, as they are not challenging unless I:
  • Try to build the most efficient village possible, as I attempted for TSK 14 in r6720. (The replay can be downloaded in this post),
  • Try to win with 0 losses, as I have down for many missions (just search the forums),
  • Try to win a mission as fast as possible (see my TSK 20 4 minute and 28 second win r6720 replay in my signature).
  • Or do some combination of these.
Of course, there are a few single player maps which are quite exceptional (Two Sides, Town Defense, Invasion, Revenge, TDL's maps ... just to name a few that first come to mind) that I still enjoy playing them, but trying to make easy maps harder by playing with an extra constraint seems to be a more general trend for me, apparently.

A more comforting alternative for me is to play co-op maps (maps with a more intense AI designed for multiple players to beat by working together) in single player. If you haven't done so yet, check out the new two player co-op campaign that Emotion 98.3 publicized recently. Even if you choose not to play it, at least have a peak at mission 10. (That is my favorite! Mission 10 reminds me of TSK11 and Mission 11 reminds me of TPR14, but I of course like these co-ops better than the original campaigns, because of my style of play.) You can download full-working replays (for r6720) of me beating missions 9, 10, and 11 of this campaign in "gold time" or faster on this page.
Invasion won: with 0 losses and without save reloads|TSK 20 in 4.47 minutes|Border of Life Co-op Won in 1h33m55s|The Official KaM Speedrun Page
What makes me an Expert isn't my skill in of itself but my desire to win big.
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 04 Jan 2017, 15:47

I honestly think the issue is more related to Lewin's website losing popularity. We have other means of sharing maps now, and Lewin's website was built with focus around the original game. Now that's just a guess, so take it with a grain of salt.

I also think it's pretty well established that the voices of "mutiplayer" people is much louder than "singleplayer" people (I mean that as a metaphor, but I suppose it could be literally true, too :) ) By this I mean that mutiplayers are going to be posting a lot more on forums, subreddits, etc. if not by the very nature that you need human contact to actually play a game. Singleplayers may prefer single player games because they don't care for social interactions online, which unfortunatly makes their voice unheard.
I used to spam this forum so much...

Return to “Map Design”