TNL Mission 14

<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

KaM Skill Level: Veteran

Post 28 Apr 2016, 10:31

TNL Mission 14

Hello everyone,
Today I sort of finished mission 14 of my campaign, The New Lands. I'm looking for players who would like to test it. It's a heavily scripted mission that's kind of unlike any other mission in Knights and Merchants (except maybe 'The Assassin' by Thunderwolff). Your objective is to infiltrate an enemy area of your choice to collect a 'bonus' for the final mission (by using scripts your accomplishemt will be saved all the way to mission 16). To do this, you have to reach a certain building or unit by evading enemy troops and now and then solve a puzzle. Well, as far as you can make puzzles in KaM... ;)
Because there are so many scripts, it is prone to mistakes. So I want YOU to try and break the mission in any way you can, because I want the script to be waterproof. (Talking about the script it's probably highly ineffecient and will burn your eyes, but hey, most stuff works :P)
Other than that, any feedback is welcome. About the map/difficulty, etcetera. Please do remember that this is mission 14, so even the 'easy' objective isn't supposed to be sandbox level. :) You will need many, many savegames.

Cmowla, if you read this? I think you might enjoy it! :)

The files can be found here as an attachment or on TeamSpeak in the Map Archive. Just put it in the \Maps directory.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

cmowla

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Expert

Post 29 Apr 2016, 01:04

Re: TNL Mission 14

It wasn't too bad. (From the time I downloaded the map and until I broke through, approximately 1 hour and 10 minutes time.)

However, once I broke through, I circled around the food town and nothing happened. (You can control him and test yourself.)

The replay broke toward the very end, and thus I spent an additional 15 minutes making a full-working replay.
cmowlaTNL14Test.zip
You were correct. I thought it was a lot of fun. It is a very interesting map! I look forward to seeing more.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Invasion won: with 0 losses and without save reloads|TSK 20 in 4.47 minutes|Border of Life Co-op Won in 1h33m55s|The Official KaM Speedrun Page
What makes me an Expert isn't my skill in of itself but my desire to win big.
<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

Post 29 Apr 2016, 08:22

Hi, thanks for trying.
I can not watch the replay right now, I will do so when I get home. But can I assume you only did the 'easy' challenge so far (food town)? Once you get there, there is a passage leading to the northern two villages. You will have to be more adventurous. :P
Also, you have to stand in front of the inn to complete the easy objective. I can not tell because I can't watch the replay now, but if you did stand there and nothing happened that would be a bug.
I'm looking forward to see you solve the hardest one. :)
<<

cmowla

Knight

Post 29 Apr 2016, 10:33

Hi, thanks for trying.
I can not watch the replay right now, I will do so when I get home. But can I assume you only did the 'easy' challenge so far (food town)?
I didn't know that there was an option to choose which way you wanted to go, and thus I assumed I first go that way and then the next pathway would be unlocked. That was the only way I could go. There were two pikemen guards blocking the other routes by a script, and I couldn't pass. They were asking for a "password".

I didn't try going back to the beginning of the map where I started after I reached the food town at the end, but maybe that's what I need to do to go to the next challenge (do I now have the "password" for the pikeman, now that I have reached the food town)? The pathways adjacent to the food town were still blocked, and thus I didn't initially consider this.
Invasion won: with 0 losses and without save reloads|TSK 20 in 4.47 minutes|Border of Life Co-op Won in 1h33m55s|The Official KaM Speedrun Page
<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

Post 29 Apr 2016, 11:59

No, you have to 'talk' (by standing right next to them) to certain individuals to get passwords. The pikemen on the road north from the food town require a different password than the ones encountered near your starting position. Just look around and you'll find them. It's not hard. :)
<<

Tiank

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Post 29 Apr 2016, 12:54

It's not hard.
Yes, the map is pretty intuitive when it comes to task, that's not hard, but avoiding all these xbows is REALLY HARD :D I tried it a bit yesterday, reached stonemason location and Inn, still trying to reach the school. I'm gonna give you full feedback and replays when I finish it all :)

Btw, I liked Monty Python's reference (The Black Knight :D)
Without honour, victory is hollow.
<<

equalizer

Vagabond

KaM Skill Level: Average

Post 29 Apr 2016, 14:40

Pretty cool map, very original and like the scripting in it. Lot of things I didnt expect to see in Kam. The bows are indeed VERY hard , had to replay that few times to get pass :D

Looks like its possible to sneak past the guards after the foodtown, I dont get attacked after that point. Maybe bug ?
<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

Post 29 Apr 2016, 14:49

Thank you Tiank, I'm looking forward to your full feedback. The Monty Python reference is a coincidence, I didn't really think about it. :P Yes, the bows are tough; do you think they are too hard? Of course you also need quite some luck since you can't totally influence whether an arrow/bolt hits you or not...

Equalizer thanks for your feedback as well; that's definitely a bug. I must have made a mistake somewhere with AllianceChange. I'll look into it and update the mission as soon as possible.
Update: is it possible that you tried to 'sneak' through there by going as much to the left as possible instead of going through the front or right side? I see there is a little 'hole' in the script. It is only triggered when you step on certain tiles and many tiles on the far left of that row are left out. Thanks for finding this, it's a small mistake but with big consequenses. :P I will change it but there is no hurry to upload it again; please just go a bit more to the right for now. :P
<<

equalizer

Vagabond

Post 29 Apr 2016, 15:34

Thought so, it would be to ez otherwise. (H)

When reaching the school (with sneak) my knight almost starved. Now i wonder if its practically possible to reach the school with taking every challenge on the way?
<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

Post 29 Apr 2016, 15:37

Good point. I'm not sure how much time it took you to get through the first part (to the food town), but yes, I think it's possible. Other than that... *spoiler alert* ...there are 2 hidden serfs on the map that can restore some energy. ;)
But yes, maybe I should raise the player's initial condition?
<<

equalizer

Vagabond

Post 29 Apr 2016, 16:55

*spoiler alert* ...there are 2 hidden serfs on the map that can restore some energy. ;)
That helps a lot, imo its better to 'achieve' the energy by making your way to the serfs
<<

Tiank

Knight

Post 29 Apr 2016, 17:10

maybe I should raise the player's initial condition?
It would be nice. Also, a message about existance of such serfs :D When I saw that my hunger bar is low I thought about stealing some food from their Inn - how do you like that idea? ;)

I reached the school and start getting back, not sure if I'm gonna make it...

Not to mention that there is one ridiculously hard part at one point...
<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

Post 29 Apr 2016, 17:53

maybe I should raise the player's initial condition?
It would be nice. Also, a message about existance of such serfs :D When I saw that my hunger bar is low I thought about stealing some food from their Inn - how do you like that idea? ;)

I reached the school and start getting back, not sure if I'm gonna make it...

Not to mention that there is one ridiculously hard part at one point...
Stealing food from the inn makes sense, but would result in a never-ending supply of food.
Good luck, what part did you find the hardest? The knights? If I recall correctly the way back is easier. :)
<<

Tiank

Knight

Post 29 Apr 2016, 19:04

Just make it that you can steal from Inn just once ;) Part with Knights is okay, the part with that vertical Knight and 4 Swordmen and another Knight is the hardest in that path imo. The fact that xbows can reach me when I'm near that part is even more annoying.
<<

cmowla

Knight

Post 30 Apr 2016, 08:07

@TDL, I just beat the hardest route to this location and have actually beaten the map. Below, you can see the first 10 minutes (the replay broke for no reason, so I gave up in trying to make it a full-replay). You at least see me get past the entire maze.
cmowla TNL14 (Hardest Route).zip
However, here is a PDF document containing screen-shots and explanation on *how* I won. Piece of cake. I think my screenshots and commentary indirectly express my amazement with this map. Like others have said, it's not what I expected in KaM. Very very cool!
Last edited by cmowla on 30 Apr 2016, 08:32, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Map Design”