<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Yahoo Messenger: lewinlewinhodgman

Post 18 Jul 2008, 06:18

How to make multiplayer maps work

Hello everybody,
I have some really, really, really great news for everyone trying to make a multiplayer mission. You don't need to reveal the whole map at the start!! :D
Here's how:
I knew that the original maps worked and so did ones made in Qage's editor, so it must be something to do with Krom's map format. After some experimenting I decided that the value described by The Barbarian as "Light" was the most likely. Just to make sure that this bug really does exist I made a simple multiplayer mission using a map made in Krom's editor. Sure enough, nothing would explore. Using Jan van Kranendonk's map editor I changed all the light values in a map to 16. (Krom always exports as 0 for some reason) I tried the game again and it worked!!!!!!!!! I then made a simple program to open a map and change all the light values to 16.
And here it is:
http://lewin.namsys.com.au/kam/downloads/MapValidator-1.0.zip
Changing the values has no visible effect, apart from fixing this bug. If you're worried that Krom's editor won't let you edit the map any more then don't, all the original bytes are rewritten. (including Krom's footer) And the best bit: You don't need to do this every time you make a change and save the map in Krom's editor! Once you've run this program on the map you never need to do it again, Krom's editor remembers the changed values! :D
@Litude: Can this find it's way into the downloads (or advanced downloads) section? (or tools maybe?) I think people will be interested... :))
I am going to email Krom about this and ask him to change the way maps are exported. Until then use this tool.
Let me know what you think.

So, dig up those old multiplayer maps that never worked and run them through this tool!
Lewin.
P.S. I've had quite a productive break from the editor don't you think? :wink: But don't worry, tomorrow I'll be back to developing it!

Edit: I only just realised that there is another topic with the same name in this section! Oops.... :oops:

Edit2: I've spoken to Krom and he is preparing 0.5g now, should be available later tonight/day. (depending on where you live)

Edit3: You don't need this tool anymore, version 0.5g of Krom's editor does this automatically. Krom's Website
<<

Nick

Crossbowman

Post 18 Jul 2008, 10:32

great news...
question: is it now also possible to place your own buildings without revealing the area? previously they just wont be placed on the map
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Post 18 Jul 2008, 11:01

great news...
question: is it now also possible to place your own buildings without revealing the area? previously they just wont be placed on the map
Don't know.... I doubt it but it might be worth trying. I'll test that at some point. Does that happen in the original maps? (if it doesn't then it won't happen now)
<<

Nick

Crossbowman

Post 18 Jul 2008, 11:59

well in the original maps your base is always visible from the start so... i didnt try to cover it up.... i'll test it
<<

Nick

Crossbowman

Post 18 Jul 2008, 12:54

well after testing it doesnt work on the original maps also (only raods are placed, buildings not so just ignore my previous question
<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

KaM Skill Level: Veteran

Post 19 Jul 2008, 14:37

That's fairly incredible news, Lewin.
Great.

:D

P.s.:

You probably expected me to upload a new mission at your website, but I was unable to open the .lib files you sent me in your editor! That's why it's not finished yet. Have you any idea how this occured (parts of words and whole words were missing, and when I overwrote my own .lib files with yours, it didn't work too (damaged?))?
<<

tml

Laborer

Post 20 Jul 2008, 22:50

Thanks so much!
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Post 24 Jul 2008, 06:56

Only fairly? WE CAN MAKE MULTIPLAYER MISSIONS!!!! I think it is great news. And it's great that Krom released the update so soon, so you didn't need to use my tool.
You probably expected me to upload a new mission at your website, but I was unable to open the .lib files you sent me in your editor! That's why it's not finished yet. Have you any idea how this occured (parts of words and whole words were missing, and when I overwrote my own .lib files with yours, it didn't work too (damaged?))?
Oh..... Maybe it is corrupted. It might have been the one I was fiddling with for my LIB decoder, so it could contain anything!! I will do a fresh install, patch it to SR2 ELP4 and then send the files to you. Sorry for the problem, I'll try to send it to you soon.
Lewin.
<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

KaM Skill Level: Veteran

Post 24 Jul 2008, 07:07

Only fairly? WE CAN MAKE MULTIPLAYER MISSIONS!!!! I think it is great news. And it's great that Krom released the update so soon, so you didn't need to use my tool.
Hehe, I like understatements. :P
Oh..... Maybe it is corrupted. It might have been the one I was fiddling with for my LIB decoder, so it could contain anything!! I will do a fresh install, patch it to SR2 ELP4 and then send the files to you. Sorry for the problem, I'll try to send it to you soon.
Lewin.
Ok, no problem. :)
<<

Merchator

Sword Fighter

Post 28 Jul 2008, 12:11

Ohh, awesome news :D

(DIE, !CLEAR_UP 255 :))
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Post 29 Jul 2008, 01:59

LOL! Now there's someone who doesn't like understatements. :wink:
!CLEAR_UP 255 is still useful for testing though...
<<

Merchator

Sword Fighter

Post 29 Jul 2008, 09:18

LOL! Now there's someone who doesn't like understatements. :wink:
!CLEAR_UP 255 is still useful for testing though...
Hm...I wrote faster than I thought.

/BTT

Return to “Map Design”