Frightening Waters

<<

Killer!!

Sword Fighter

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Post 17 Apr 2015, 17:04

Frightening Waters

Hello all,

I would like to present you my second map: Frightening Waters (8p)

I did take quite some time to make it I guess around 40-50 hours total

Starting resources are :

Stones: 65
Timber: 55
Gold: 60
Sausages: 20
Bread: 40
Wine: 60

There is no fish at all on the map, even though there is quite some water on the map, the reason behind this is because all the waters are poisoned, at least that's what the story tells :)

I will let some screenshots below, and tell me your thoughts on the map!

I already have 2 question for you, someone said some objects are placed to randomly, is this true? Or maybe a better question would be, is this a problem?

Thx in advance for the comments :)

Siem
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Killer!! on 20 Apr 2015, 15:46, edited 2 times in total.
Do you want to play with/against me? Just write me a PM :D
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 17 Apr 2015, 19:43

Re: Frightening Waters

Please not 55 gold. I won't address anything else (or play the map) until you set it to 60.

Players are so used to having 60 gold that having less can lead to devastating problems, especially running out before making a metallurgist = gg. With 55, double school becomes even more impractical, you must go for gold sooner thus less variation in initial strategy...I can go on ;)
I used to spam this forum so much...
<<

Tiank

Knight

Post 17 Apr 2015, 19:52

I totally disagree with Ben. There is nothing wrong with having less starting gold. You just need to think, not play automatically, because you are used to 60 gold. Just focus on making Gold Smelter bit earlier. Also, gold is pretty close at every location, so I don't see it as a problem.

About double school - I see this tactic really, REALLY rare. It's not an argument for me ;).

Siem, I would write some more feedback about your map tomorrow :)
Without honour, victory is hollow.
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 17 Apr 2015, 20:00

So making double school more rare is a solution? I don't play automatically, but if I need to make gold earlier then my build is more forced, and that will make it more automatic.
If you want to make gold harder, then just make the distance to gold higher. Don't screw with starting gold.
<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

KaM Skill Level: Veteran

Post 17 Apr 2015, 20:02

55 gold, hmm, I like the idea. But you know,
there are too many old-school guys around here that would never support such creative play ;)
trololo
<<

Tiank

Knight

Post 17 Apr 2015, 20:10

Don't screw with starting gold.
Why not? Changing starting gold is an alternative to higher distance. It's just a different approach to make it harder, makes player to pay attention at several things when facing a new map, not just checking distance to resources, but also checking amount of starting resources in warehouse and make player plan his build differently (I often don't pay attention at that, that's why I'm pointing it out).
Without honour, victory is hollow.
<<

thunder

Moorbach's Guard

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 17 Apr 2015, 20:54

Do i reemember well 40-45was normal sets in the past? i mean the ancient time in remake :D
Slowy I start to understand why the games in the past seemed very slowly and unproductive compare to th nowadays games.
<<

Jeronimo

Knight

Post 18 Apr 2015, 01:04

I want to give 2 artistic opinions.
Based on description... the concept of "poisoned waters" doesn't look convincing at all.

If I had to re-edit this map according to primary concept... I would make building terrain around with several lakes, and COAL all placed around them. The idea would resemble to have waters polluted by coal minerals around them.
This way you get: innovative coal placing (around water pools), and challenging base planning (water + arid terrains combination).

In a second artistic critic... I think the "Grass + Dirt" combo terrain is over-exploited (all mapmakers).
I know you took 50 hours to make this... and I just 5 mins to criticize :) , but for next maps look for something bolder, risky, aggresive design, experimental. For instance, I would love to see more "Snow + Desert" mixtures.

Below an example of how you can still find new ways to make beauty from mere snow tiles.
http://www.knightsandmerchants.net/foru ... 337#p33337
KaM Skill Level: Jeronimo
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 18 Apr 2015, 17:45

55 gold, hmm, I like the idea. But you know,
there are too many old-school guys around here that would never support such creative play ;)
trololo
Nice try, but the two scenarios are 100% different (well, maybe 90%;)) I could explain, but I'd be wasting my time typing the same thing over and over.

If you want 55 gold that's fine, you do what you want, but I can't see any reason to support it.
<<

dicsoupcan

Moorbach's Guard

Post 18 Apr 2015, 17:48

it's the same thing ben, 55 gold forces you do do different stuff or sacrifice something to keep the old strategy intact. anyway let's get to the map now shall we? i will give some feedback as soon as i watched it (after a bday parteh)
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. ~ Winston Churchill
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 18 Apr 2015, 17:49

No it's not.
<<

dicsoupcan

Moorbach's Guard

Post 18 Apr 2015, 17:56

it is
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. ~ Winston Churchill
<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

KaM Skill Level: Veteran

Post 18 Apr 2015, 18:20

Below an example of how you can still find new ways to make beauty from mere snow tiles.
Please do not follow this example :O
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 18 Apr 2015, 23:14

Please do not follow this example :O
I agree.
<<

Killer!!

Sword Fighter

Post 20 Apr 2015, 15:57

Hi all the map is update after some test games, I changed the following things:

- Moved storehouse location 3 a bit more to the middle
- Added a mountain/volcano to the south-west of location 2 (after some test games I decided to add this to make the distance between location 2 and locations 3,4 slightly longer, as it's now it has already been tested 2 times and it's better)
- Fixed some unwalkable and unbuildible tiles
- Added 5 gold to each location (I know there has been discussed quite a lot about this, after I tested both version out (55 gold and 60 gold) some times on my own and with others I concluded that 60 gold suits better at the end

Can you please tell me your opinions about the map? (not only talk about the resources in the storehouse but also about the looks :P)
And for the ones who already played the map, what do you think about the gameplay?

Have a nice day! :)

Siem
Do you want to play with/against me? Just write me a PM :D

Return to “Map Design”