Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

Vatrix's Campaign Fixes

<<

cmowla

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Expert

Post 15 Feb 2015, 04:50

Re: Vatrix's Campaign Fixes

Integrate this into "Two Sides" (which has an existing script which I want to stay as is) and post the script, because I want to play it with this enhanced AI. Vatrix's town defense was excellent already, but I hope this will make it even better.
Sir, yes sir! :P
I finally played it, and it is bugged.

The replay is broken (and I didn't reload saves), so I can't quite show you. I can explain, however.

After a point, the AI started sending nearly all of the troops (all except for xbows) in small groups at my town. It was like "sprinkling" troops, as single leaders would come one at a time after I killed the majority of the troops.

That is, in comparison to my replays in TSK 08, this script treated everywhere outside of the town as if it was the inside of the town. There was no town defense more than what Vatrix did before.

In addition, on occasion, the game would select the AI troops (as if they were mine) when I was trying to move my own troops. (I didn't have the debugger on either.)
Invasion won: with 0 losses and without save reloads|TSK 20 in 4.47 minutes|Border of Life Co-op Won in 1h33m55s|The Official KaM Speedrun Page
What makes me an Expert isn't my skill in of itself but my desire to win big.
<<

Esthlos

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 15 Feb 2015, 09:27

@Esthlos, by the way, you don't have a script to make the AI destroy buildings fundations if there is a Warrior close to it? :rolleyes:
This would have a low performance, I think. :(
In my opinion it would be better if added directly in the game's base AI.
After a point, the AI started sending nearly all of the troops (all except for xbows) in small groups at my town. It was like "sprinkling" troops, as single leaders would come one at a time after I killed the majority of the troops.
Mmm... probably you need to lower the setting aDesistRange; I think that 100 might be good in this map.
(It is the squared number of tiles after which the script will stop following an intruder)
That is, in comparison to my replays in TSK 08, this script treated everywhere outside of the town as if it was the inside of the town. There was no town defense more than what Vatrix did before.
Vatrix made a slim town there; the base military AI is already good in this kind of situation. :P
In addition, on occasion, the game would select the AI troops (as if they were mine) when I was trying to move my own troops. (I didn't have the debugger on either.)
This is a bug bound to Actions.GroupOrderSplitUnit; I've already tested and sent a possible fix to Krom.
Just when you think you know something, you have to look at it in another way, even though it may seem silly or wrong. You must try! - John Keating, "Dead Poets Society"
<<

Vatrix

Council Member

KaM Skill Level: Veteran

Post 20 Feb 2015, 21:26

Sorry for inactivity, but as always my plans for holiday completely changed.

Here's what I'm planning to do with TSK campaign:
1) adjusting old build order
2) allowing fisherman (with proper number of fish)
3) allowing market (with proper ware disabling)
4) rebuilding SOME AI cities (yes, I don't like it either, but it's NEEDED, I'll try to match original style as much as Remake allows it) - mission 9 is a great example
5) reworking AI defence positions
6) pre-building AI cities
7) changing Lothar's color to black
8) making impossible to sneak in and destroy AI city (many thanks to Esthlos for his awesome script and everyone who tested it!)
9) changing number of SOME starting AI troops
I fixed The Shattered Kingdom and The Peasants Rebellion here!
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 20 Feb 2015, 22:02

...We'll probably also disable the market in the original campaigns and have an option to disable it in multiplayer for people who don't like it.
I'm going to ride on the "probably disable" part. Market just isn't part of original KaM. Leave it for your own campaigns!

Would you like to explain why reworking the cities is "needed"? I don't agree and mission 9 is not a good example.
I used to spam this forum so much...
<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

Post 20 Feb 2015, 23:20

Sorry for inactivity, but as always my plans for holiday completely changed.

Here's what I'm planning to do with TSK campaign:
1) adjusting old build order
2) allowing fisherman (with proper number of fish)
3) allowing market (with proper ware disabling)
4) rebuilding SOME AI cities (yes, I don't like it either, but it's NEEDED, I'll try to match original style as much as Remake allows it) - mission 9 is a great example
5) reworking AI defence positions
6) pre-building AI cities
7) changing Lothar's color to black
8) making impossible to sneak in and destroy AI city (many thanks to Esthlos for his awesome script and everyone who tested it!)
9) changing number of SOME starting AI troops
RIP TSK.
<<

Vatrix

Council Member

Post 21 Feb 2015, 08:25

OK, fine.
I'll do just:
- allowing fisherman (with proper number of fish)
- changing Lothar's color to black
- making impossible to sneak in and destroy AI city
RIP TSK
That hurt :( .
<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

Post 21 Feb 2015, 13:49

OK, fine.
I'll do just:
- allowing fisherman (with proper number of fish)
- changing Lothar's color to black
- making impossible to sneak in and destroy AI city
RIP TSK
That hurt :( .
Hmmm yeah I was quite harsh. I'm sorry. I never intend to hurt friends!
(Except maybe Ben, when he beats me at Age of Empires for the 35233462th time in row)

Anyway, TSK in the Remake should visually look and feel like TSK in the original game. That's the bottom line. If you add some scripts to enhance the AI than that's fine. The Remake's AI is different from the one in the original game so you will never be able to copy its behaviour anyway (and you don't really want to, either :P). However, adding dynamic scripts to make some units immortal or adding stuff like the marketplace are absolutely no-goes.
A couple of pages back in this topic I made a post about your proposed changes, please take a look at it to see what I agree with and what I do not agree with. I don't say you should exactly do what I say. It's not my campaign, nor my fixes. But even though it says 'Vatrix's campaign fixes', it is not your campaign either. That means you can't just change whatever you want and expect everyone to accept it.
I understand the lack of feedback makes it hard for you to make choices. But in the end, it is Krom and Lewin who need to accept the changes and replace the campaign files with your fixes. So it is them you should try to convince you're doing the right things. Actually, it might be a good idea to PM them. It would be a waste if you put a lot of work in this, and they say 'meh, don't like it'. Right?

Don't give up, I like how dedicated you are!
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 22 Feb 2015, 00:56

(Except maybe Ben, when he beats me at Age of Empires for the 35233462th time in row)

Ben: Lol. You know it hurts me, too, when I send 15 arches to your unprotected woodlines ;)

I think TDL is right when it comes to emailing Krom and Lewin. Remember, though, that you could always release this as a mod for TSK. Then you could do whatever the heck you want :) Still, though, it would be nice to have a polished TSK...
I used to spam this forum so much...
<<

Krom

Knights Province Developer

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 22 Feb 2015, 06:17

I agree with TDL and Ben about the TSK. It should feel like the original TSK, without the Market and such.
I also advocate to use scripting as little as possible, since that is prone to changes. It also overcomplicates the matters a lot.
Knights Province at: http://www.knightsprovince.com
KaM Remake at: http://www.kamremake.com
Original MBWR/WR2/AFC/FVR tools at: http://krom.reveur.de
<<

Vatrix

Council Member

Post 22 Feb 2015, 10:58

Ok guys,
I'll stick to TSK as much as possible :wink:
<<

Everstill

Farmer

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Post 24 Feb 2015, 14:42

Well, the best option then is to create two Campaigns, the "TSK Classic" with just a Copy Paste of the original Campaign, keep everything like the original, just fixing non intended behavior and things like colors and the AI.

Then you make the "TSK Remake" Campaign, the game had his remake, the Campaign can have too, in this one you can change and improve whatever thing necessary, defense position, attack waves, mission difficult, everything. With this, we have the best of the two worlds and people can simple choose the one they think it's better.

What you think Vatrix? Well, it's more work for you, but maybe the TSK Classic will not take that much time.
<<

Vatrix

Council Member

Post 24 Feb 2015, 19:35

Interesting idea! I think I'll do it. Hopefully on weekend I'll have time for KaM :D
<<

Vatrix

Council Member

Post 24 Apr 2015, 16:27

I haven't post anything here for a while and I see noone really cares about that, but I have been working lately on fixing some terrain issues on TSK maps.

Here are some examples of what I'm doing with our beloved maps:
Dirt.jpg
Sand.jpg
I hope you'll like it. I'll continue with my work as soon as possible :wink: .
Thank you,
You know my name.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

dicsoupcan

Moorbach's Guard

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 24 Apr 2015, 16:39

i soubt anyone will care that you are fixing some badly connecting tiles as long as you do not make major changes. good work :)
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. ~ Winston Churchill
<<

Vatrix

Council Member

Post 24 Apr 2015, 18:00

i soubt anyone will care that you are fixing some badly connecting tiles as long as you do not make major changes. good work :)
There won't be any big changes, just some little suggestions from guys who were helping me here with ideas and opinions to make this as close as possible to original. :)

also
I know everyone will care that you are fixing some badly connecting tiles.
Fixed that for you. :)

Return to “Map Design”