New Campaign On Foreign Lands

<<

dicsoupcan

Moorbach's Guard

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 18 Aug 2014, 17:17

Re: New Campaign On Foreign Lands

Trees can grow over coal deposits.
Maybe they can, but it just doesn't look good. I agree with Skypper with other things too, except that first picture, with green hills, I think they are okay :).
but it's so annoying to build on coal filled with trees, there is not a good way to remove them.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. ~ Winston Churchill
<<

Freddy

Vagabond

KaM Skill Level: Average

Post 18 Aug 2014, 17:50

I didn't really check it too much, you are right. I thought it was a place in the enemy's base where coal mines wouldn't be constructed. But yeah, it seems of (but mainly because of the flatness I think). Maybe just leave several trees on the sparse coal tiles.
<<

Skypper

Knight

Post 19 Aug 2014, 07:48

@Skypper Other than the missing tile variation and bad elevation I don't see a problem with the others. Trees can grow over coal deposits. The hills look fine to me. Some of the things aren't polished, but the combinations aren't exactly wrong. At least we see some variation, not the same design all over again.
You are right, it is not wrong, some missions would be fun to play for sure I think.
But in this release we have removed a lot of OK maps, they weren't wrong other wise they wouldn't make it to the first place to the remake, but they weren't good either.
So do we agree to OK maps again to clean up later again?

We can make better campaigns if we wait a little more, maybe we need to wait to the next release then, but I would rather want a quality campaign.
And if that means no new campaign for this release it is fine with me.

There are a lot of good map makers here, we shouldn't agree with OK anymore.
Greets Skypper (Totally Insane)

- Beginning map maker -
<<

Freddy

Vagabond

Post 19 Aug 2014, 09:46

But in this release we have removed a lot of OK maps, they weren't wrong other wise they wouldn't make it to the first place to the remake, but they weren't good either.
So do we agree to OK maps again to clean up later again?
I didn't want to imply anything like that, I argee with you.
<<

pawel95

Castle Guard Swordsman

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Post 19 Aug 2014, 09:51

I agree that campaigns should be something special and should have the quality standard of tsk/tpr(gameplay and terrain. Dynamic scripts should be better than in these campaigns xd) . It was fine with Vas' campaign, but I also have to say that this campaign hasn't this quality,YET. Also if I compare for example discos unfinished campaign and tdl's TNL additionally to tsk/tpr/vas I have to say that this campaign right here is on the last place for me. Like already mentioned the Quality is only "ok" the dynamic scripts might be super, but I also have no real fun in fighting at most of the missions and some missions look strange/boring completely. E.g the mission where you have like 20x10 tiles to build your city and attack the huge ai city then Xd. Also the first mission is maybe let's call it "hard". It's completely different to normal kam fighting missions. Normaly you can flank, you have to think where to place your troops, but in Mission 01 the only good option is tostay where your troops were in the beginning and hope that these small entrances will save your a.. :mrgreen:

So this shouldn't be a rude post from my side. I like sp maps and campaigns, but like skypper wrote, better to wait for a "finished" campaign, then implementing this one officially FOR NOW.

Example of building (and fighting) space from Missoin08 (My example with 20x10 tiles):

<<

Allensham

Peasant

Post 19 Aug 2014, 12:30

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is mission 1 impossible to complete?

I don't play multi player at all unless with friends, however I've played AI games since childhood and I cannot pass mission 1...

I can manage to have my top and middle set of units survive although be it not many of them, but after that the enemy units from the bottom skirmish just destroy me??

Any tips?

And I noticed someone mentioned debugging code? If mission 1 is unbeatable at the moment, could someone provide instructions so I can skip and test the rest of the maps?
<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

KaM Skill Level: Veteran

Post 19 Aug 2014, 12:36

- Press F11
- Press V

Or:

- Press F11
- Select a player with a storehouse
- Use the regular cheat to win :)
<<

dicsoupcan

Moorbach's Guard

Post 19 Aug 2014, 12:36

yeah i mentioned the debugging cheats, it only works for singleplayer and is great for quick playtesting. my units just get slaughtered and on teamspeak i hear more people say they just cannot win it.

anyway, you press f11 to open the debug menu. then you press debug -> debug cheats. now press v and you have an instant victory.
Last edited by dicsoupcan on 19 Aug 2014, 13:08, edited 1 time in total.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. ~ Winston Churchill
<<

pawel95

Castle Guard Swordsman

Post 19 Aug 2014, 12:38

It is possible to win, but in an "unnice(I would say unKAM) way" :mrgreen: You have first to focus on bottom, set your horses and swordmen a little bit back, so they don´t get shot from the xbows. At the same time you have to jump to the north and let your warriors and your xbows do the job.
After a few seconds middle is attacked also. Now the unbeauty thing begins. You have really to fall back (where you started from). you have to take a good position with your xbows and split up the swordmen in a few groups (Some players even used the 1soldier-trick here, but it´s possible without). Now you have "just" try to stay on your side and let everyone in. After the middle attack is finished, you have to take a few swordmen and clean up the middle from the xbows.

Top should be finished now, bring the soldiers to the middle, to help there. Now you shall NOT go out, but still "camp" on your startingposition. At the same time the xbows from top, should stay also in middle, but watching from north on the battlefield. Now every wave should be killed once by once. Sometimes xbows are shooting to your xbows at the bottom, so you just have to show a bit xbowmicro(shoot and go back, before your xbows get shot).
That´s all :P

That is the reason I call this "unbeauty", because that isn´t a typicaly KaM fighting mission, where you have much possibilites to position your troops, to flank or to attack anything from behind. It´s a (for me boring) camping and "let them come" mission. If you are still not able to win it, I will post maybe a replay of it later.

If you want to play test certai missions, use the cheatcodes (Press V) or you can also do it that way: Press F11, Press Load , Go to campaigns folder, Open any missions like you want. (For example the last one, so you haven´t to play all missions before that one) :mrgreen:
<<

cmowla

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Expert

Post 19 Aug 2014, 21:54

Re: Release candidate 2

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is mission 1 impossible to complete?
i could not even beat the first mission (cmowla, it's up to you to do it, you'll have a challenge :D)
I just beat it in 1h46m33s. It's pretty easy. (For the save file, just train a pikeman in the barracks to win the mission.)
cmowla OFL01.zip
Goal 1: Kill all troops
Goal 2: Repair buildings and create 120 iron armor troops. Starting at 1h30m, troops will spawn from the north every 10 minutes to attempt to lower your troop count.

Possible Goal 3: I assumed that you must destroy the buildings in the north after 1h30m. I destroyed all buildings in the beginning before I killed the last troop to bypass this (if this was what we were supposed to do).

If we only need to do goals 1 and 2, then clearly the game can be won much faster (you don't need to lose any surviving troops from hunger, and thus you can have a total of 120 troops sooner).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Invasion won: with 0 losses and without save reloads|TSK 20 in 4.47 minutes|Border of Life Co-op Won in 1h33m55s|The Official KaM Speedrun Page
What makes me an Expert isn't my skill in of itself but my desire to win big.
<<

sado1

Council Member

Post 19 Aug 2014, 22:47

Typical process of testing single player maps difficulty on our forums:
i couldn't beat the Xth mission(...)
(couple of hours later)
I just beat it in <time>. It's pretty easy.
xD
<<

Freddy

Vagabond

Post 19 Aug 2014, 22:55

I think people generally tend to go to only two different outcomes when testing difficulty of games/maps:

Either the person can't beat the map and labels it overly difficult if not impossible.
OR
The person wins it (no matter how lucky or hard it was) and just states the time and how easy it was :D

(disclaimer: some exaggeration present for entertainment value)
<<

dicsoupcan

Moorbach's Guard

Post 19 Aug 2014, 23:34

well do not forget that cmowla is someone who abuses the ai to the max in order to get the best/fastest results in SP missions. you cannot compare him to a regular/casual player.
<<

Skypper

Knight

Post 20 Aug 2014, 09:31

well do not forget that cmowla is someone who abuses the ai to the max in order to get the best/fastest results in SP missions. you cannot compare him to a regular/casual player.
I agree, but i wouldn't call it abuse it is closer to rape :P.

I watched Cmowla's replay and the initial attack looks the hardest, what follows looks easier.
But if you need Cmowla to beat a map, there properly aren't much players that will enjoy playing it.
Greets Skypper (Totally Insane)

- Beginning map maker -
<<

pawel95

Castle Guard Swordsman

Post 20 Aug 2014, 11:17

Yes. I have beaten all missions up to Mission 05 now without bigger problems, but like Disco said. The point is you CANNOT win these missions in a nice "normal" KaM way, like for example you would play Tsk or Multiplayer Games. You have to block entrances, sit down, wait until the eneemy comes to you, wait again, reposition your xbows, wait again That´s all.

Return to “Map Design”