New Campaign On Foreign Lands

<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Yahoo Messenger: lewinlewinhodgman

Post 17 Aug 2014, 18:02

The author of the campaign On Foreign Lands asked me to create a thread here to gather feedback in one place. This is a new campaign with 11 missions which we intend to include in the next release. You can try it out in the latest release candidate, just send an email to contact@kamremake.com and we'll add you to our beta tester mailing list.

The campaign features lots of scripting and a detailed story. Here is a screenshot of the map:

Please write your feedback here and suggest changes to improve the campaign before it gets added to the KaM Remake. I will move existing posts about the campaign from the RC topic to this one.
<<

pawel95

Castle Guard Swordsman

Post 17 Aug 2014, 18:06

Re: Release candidate 2

Hey

their is a bug in the first mission of the new campaign :) after i beat the enemy i got the message that i´ve lost.

Who of you all has changed the mission script? :mrgreen: joking, no idea what´s going on xd
<<

Weekend

Farmer

Post 17 Aug 2014, 18:17

ok i found the mistake :D i destroyed 1 storehouse and in that storehouse wasthe only gold :D
<<

pawel95

Castle Guard Swordsman

Post 17 Aug 2014, 18:52

Ah haha. Well it´s a weird one, because you have to play the whole mission from the beginning, but it´s like in a few missions of tpr. If it says only attack the soldiers, you should do so :$ BTW, are we allowed to write in feedback for the campaign itselves here, or shall we wait until someone(the author of the map) makes an own topic for this campaign?
<<

dicsoupcan

Moorbach's Guard

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 17 Aug 2014, 20:35

well i took a quick look at the campaign. i have to admit, the scripting is pretty impressive in there. the campaign does lack a fun factor though. i could not even beat the first mission (cmowla, it's up to you to do it, you'll have a challenge :D) so i used the debug cheats to continue and see what else the campaign had in store. i just had some major problems with most missions i tried to play.

i am not going to rant about everything, but in summary you have to fight against impossible odds everytime. on building maps there is not enough space to create a functional village that also is capable of weapon produciton. some building missions heavy restrict you using the environment, or the enemy is so close to you that you cannot expand much around your storehouse. as for fighting missions you basically cannot move around very much which means the missions revolves basically about doing barely anything, and sometimes (the capital siege!?) your troops just spawn for the slaughter. i find it quite a shame actually, the storylines is well written and the scripts are made quite well, but it could be just not be my playstyle, but i just cannot find a decent fun factor in the campaign.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. ~ Winston Churchill
<<

Skypper

Knight

Post 18 Aug 2014, 11:57

First of all I am quite curious who made this campaign.
I am always for more SP maps, but they need to be good looking and tested.

When we got the mail and I read that there was a new campaign I was quite exited, but it became a bit of a disappointment.
I started the first mission and you get pushed right in the the shit.
Troops spawn at points where you can't move, they were all butchered where they spawn.

Maps look unfinished and bad tested.
For example REV03, you need to destroy 3 villages according to the ingame message.
I played it for 30 minutes and then started attacking the pink AI, army was destroyed pretty quick and the school to, but there was a serf bringing gold to it and got shot. instant lost the game!
That isn't fun to play, how was i able to destroy a whole town with out harming civs, destroy a building and wait 40 minutes until the guy starved and go to the green town?

I feel a kind of a dick now, but I have the idea that this campaign needs to be tested, maps to be improved.
And maybe then added to the remake.
Greets Skypper (Totally Insane)

- Beginning map maker -
<<

pawel95

Castle Guard Swordsman

Post 18 Aug 2014, 12:04

Re: New Campaign On Foreign Lands

Well I have the same feeling. I don´t like the campaign (that much), because it´s not that funny to play and the missions/tasks aren´t really special/ funny to do (except of some special dynamic script goals) also the maps are that ?strange? made, that you have in many missions like totaly no space to build and/or to fight. I don´t want to go too much into detail, because I thoguht the Mapmaper "Adam" would make a post here soon somewhere, first.
On the other side it´s a RC, so it´s fine that we got the new campaign, to test it.
I am also pretty sure that this guy invested many hours, just watching the mass of Dynamic scripts. However that´s nearly the only positive thing at the campaign ( I will make a big feedback later in any topic).

To your question: I don´t know who the mapmaker is. He is from Poland, that´s why its probably best played in Polish (The campaign is only avaible in english and polish yet if I am correct). His name is "Adam" but it doesn´t look like he would be Adam "Kamykos" from the Pakerteam :P There is no topic about this campaign at all on the polish forum or elsewhere. So noone knows probably who this guy is. Some people talked that it might be really a guy from Pakerteam presenting a betaversion from their campaign, to check how the feedback is, these rumours :mrgreen:

Don´t feel "kind of a dick", it´s good that you give feedback about it.
<<

Post 18 Aug 2014, 13:30

Hi all, I just finished creating this campaign, and there will be a lot of bugs of course, it's quite normal I think :) So now you know who created this campaign so now we can focus on questions and issues.

1) The campaign map (in briefing) will be replaced by better one of course,
2) In the first mission we should took over the city, not destroy it. Storehouses are required to win this mission. Okay I should add some info about that for you :)
3) This campaign is about 100% managing your village. So yes I played every single mission and I passed them through. In the first mission you need to manage wares distribution into storehouses. If you skillfully block wares and build armory and weapons workshops as fast as you can you will win in approximately 90mins. I won this mission almost 15 times in a row so it's possible but as I said you need to manage wares distribution reasonable.
4) If some map is "unnatural" or strange or unfinished in your opinion, please tell me about that or help me to finish this, I share my work with joy, so I'm waiting for propositions.
5) In this campaign you will be forced to fight with "light" soldiers to get resources for further expansion.
6) If you have some ideas how to improve this campaign please let me know.

Regards
<<

grayter

Barbarian

Post 18 Aug 2014, 13:32

Hmm I have no idea why I was logged out, so that post above is mine of course.
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Yahoo Messenger: lewinlewinhodgman

Post 18 Aug 2014, 13:55

Oh, hi grayter, I didn't realise it was you! I remember you from the good old days of my mission editor. I should have searched for your email address in my old email folders ;)
<<

Skypper

Knight

Post 18 Aug 2014, 14:08

Hi,
I have added a replay what to me happened and i think to most people.
Replay: BBB01

Some examples, i hope you could use some of them

I will edit this post later with some feedback about the map, hopefully today
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Skypper on 18 Aug 2014, 14:44, edited 1 time in total.
Greets Skypper (Totally Insane)

- Beginning map maker -
<<

grayter

Barbarian

Post 18 Aug 2014, 14:25

I think that gameplay mechanics has changed. I created first few missions in official release, so that mission in fact should be fixed. I got this issue in the first place.
<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

KaM Skill Level: Veteran

Post 18 Aug 2014, 16:15

I understand Krom and Lewin want to add a new campaign but as a nice Dutch rhyme goes: "Haastige spoed is zelden goed".
I trust the developers will maintain their "quality before quantity" politics.

I am by no means suggesting that this campaign should not be added to the Remake. I didn't even look at it so I do not have an opinion yet. I am just stating that if this campaign does not meet the required standards, then I think it should not be added to the Remake. What Krom and Lewin really do is up to them. :)
<<

Freddy

Vagabond

KaM Skill Level: Average

Post 18 Aug 2014, 16:50

@Skypper Other than the missing tile variation and bad elevation I don't see a problem with the others. Trees can grow over coal deposits. The hills look fine to me. Some of the things aren't polished, but the combinations aren't exactly wrong. At least we see some variation, not the same design all over again.
<<

Tiank

Knight

Post 18 Aug 2014, 17:07

Trees can grow over coal deposits.
Maybe they can, but it just doesn't look good. I agree with Skypper with other things too, except that first picture, with green hills, I think they are okay :).
Without honour, victory is hollow.

Return to “Map Design”