Copying from other maps

<<

cmowla

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Expert

Post 30 Mar 2014, 16:34

Re: Copying from other maps

Delete post. It served its purpose.
Last edited by cmowla on 06 Apr 2014, 23:33, edited 1 time in total.
Invasion won: with 0 losses and without save reloads|TSK 20 in 4.47 minutes|Border of Life Co-op Won in 1h33m55s|The Official KaM Speedrun Page
What makes me an Expert isn't my skill in of itself but my desire to win big.
<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

KaM Skill Level: Veteran

Post 30 Mar 2014, 16:49

And I'm sorry that some of you paid attention to just that 1/6 of my post and ignored the rest, but I can't help it if that's what you guys want to pick on to attempt to make me look stupid.
It's not like that; it's more like I just felt the need to respond to certain parts of your post, not to everything. We all do that now and then; you actually did the same and there is nothing wrong with that. For me it's not a matter of attempting to make you look stupid, often it's just not necessary to respond to every single word (and actually, sometimes it is more or less beneficial for people that they don't get a reply on everything, because sometimes it's almost impossible to reply to something without making someone look stupid :P).
But if you want a reply from me or anyone else on a particular part of your post, feel free to ask.
<<

Skypper

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 30 Mar 2014, 16:55

I am sorry that I have started this, I really thought it was innocent.
I hope we can stop with this.

I didn't know this rule:
"Lewin once said that maps with copied parts from other maps in it will not be added to the Remake. So there you go."
I think there needs to be a lot of maps removed from the Remake then.

But I hoop we can stop this and can continue with giving feedback and testing each others maps to make better maps for the Remake :D
Greets Skypper (Totally Insane)

- Beginning map maker -
<<

Leeuwgie

Sword Fighter

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 05 Apr 2014, 13:36

Re: Mini Games

Is the map maker of golden cliffs really that touchy about a few trees? If he is (which I highly doubt), THAT is sick. If you are appalled by such an innocent and harmless re-usage of a small portion of someone else's map, THAT is sick.

The same thing happened to me several times too... Just to summarize; if I ever found out that someone stole my work and I say I don't want him to use it you're calling ME sick??? I have no problem with skypper (because likely he didn't know) but only with cmowla since he's the only person I know in the community who says it's ok to steel AND blame the original mapmaker afterwards. But then again he's also the only one I know who has twisted ideas about gameplay, so I'm not really suprised. There are only a few rules according to mapmaking that everyone already knows. For those who don't seem to know, it's simple to understand: Never copy work from someone's map!, it's the same as stealing if you don't ask for permission (like in real life). And stop being lazy and improve yourself by learning how to do it right, finally you get better. No one can make a perfect map in just one afternoon, it takes time. Completely original move OPTIMAL move sequences to the 4x4x4 Rubik's cube or not, we are here at the KaM forum and mapmaking IS an art and making a good map IS really hard. Don't feel uncomfortably by my words but you attacked me so I needed to respond.

To
No matter what, always keep smiling ~ Bassie (from Bassie & Adriaan)
<<

thunder

Moorbach's Guard

Post 05 Apr 2014, 14:53

I didn't know this rule:
"Lewin once said that maps with copied parts from other maps in it will not be added to the Remake. So there you go."
If i know well the released Remakes doesn't have these kind of maps because 'the horsland/ trolled Dead of Winter' kind of maps aren't added;)
<<

sado1

Council Member

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Post 05 Apr 2014, 15:54

I didn't know this rule:
If i know well the released Remakes doesn't have these kind of maps because 'the horsland/ trolled Dead of Winter' kind of maps aren't added;)
No, he means that probably many other mapmakers did the same
<<

pawel95

Castle Guard Swordsman

Post 05 Apr 2014, 16:26

I didn't know this rule:
No, he means that probably many other mapmakers did the same
You mean Paker :P ?
<<

cmowla

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Expert

Post 05 Apr 2014, 17:22

Re: Mini Games

The same thing happened to me several times too... Just to summarize; if I ever found out that someone stole my work and I say I don't want him to use it you're calling ME sick???
You're blowing this out of proportion. This topic was about copying a few trees. I only posted because the person guilty of copying a map apologized and was still getting bashed. Please read the rest of this post before making any further assumptions about what kind of person I actually am, because you might be surprised.
AND blame the original mapmaker afterwards.
It is against my ethics to steal anything from anyone, but the reason I chose to "take" this position was because in society, you can see other people legally making money off of other people's work indirectly. If you can't think of any examples of this, let me know, and I will go to sleep a lot easier tonight. :wink:
But then again he's also the only one I know who has twisted ideas about gameplay,
Explain, please.
so I'm not really suprised.
Wow. That was harsh. What did I do that you formed such a bad opinion of me, even prior to this thread where I chose to take a position no one else wanted to take for sake of argument (and again, I only chose to take this position in the argument because this stuff happens and is sometimes legal in real life, not because I believe in it or like it)?
Don't feel uncomfortably by my words but you attacked me so I needed to respond.
My intent was not to attack anyone (believe me, if I attacked you, you would know, but I don't believe anything is worth fighting about, unless I can do something about someone else being attacked). Like I mentioned, no, I don't believe in copying off of anyone personally, but it is a fact of life that these things happen and people can legally make free money off of it. This is exactly why I was upset when I saw that someone copied a few specs from a map, wasn't intending to make money off of it, wasn't expecting it to be wrong (otherwise he wouldn't have done it), and people were still bashing him. Prior to my post, he and I didn't know of official rules about remake map making, and I did mention that if TDL would have posted sooner, then I wouldn't have posted at all.

Believe me, I'm on you're side in this matter in the overall picture with life, but when some of you took this out of proportion for a game where there's no intent of making money (that is the whole basis for stealing in real life), just a hobby, for a guy who apologized, what can I do except point out how silly you all are being.
Last edited by cmowla on 06 Apr 2014, 23:34, edited 1 time in total.
Invasion won: with 0 losses and without save reloads|TSK 20 in 4.47 minutes|Border of Life Co-op Won in 1h33m55s|The Official KaM Speedrun Page
What makes me an Expert isn't my skill in of itself but my desire to win big.
<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

Post 05 Apr 2014, 17:47

Please stick to the topic, you can deal with your personal quarrels through personal messages. Flame wars will not be tolerated.
<<

andreus

Sword Fighter

Post 05 Apr 2014, 17:52

Agree with To.

btw. how should I react on this nice chinese remake of my map? Destroyed terrain, "dead" AI... and no questions by "mapmakers" like "CAN I USE A PART OF YOUR MAP?"

It's just replay, but thanks to download feature ;D
<<

woloszek

Sword Fighter

Post 05 Apr 2014, 18:17

haha, axe in hand and kill them all :D, and so seriously i think it depend on mapmakers, if i do not have any objection to copyright my map by others, I think that let everyone do what they want. I leave it to their conscience. If they did the map for themselves, for fun and not for remake then what's the problem? Who cares? ;)
<<

Tiank

Knight

Post 05 Apr 2014, 18:35

I can imagine I would feel weird about someone changing my map that much, but I agree with woloszek. If they're changing AI for themselves, so it's easier for them, that's cool. But why are they changing terrain? For me, it's just destroying someone else's work.

You should talk to them, if you feel bad about what they've done. I would do that.
Without honour, victory is hollow.
<<

andreus

Sword Fighter

Post 05 Apr 2014, 20:22

haha, no need to kill them ;D

Well I'm a bit angry... But still let's think this map becomes popular and someone needs more-players-version...
<<

Skypper

Knight

Post 05 Apr 2014, 20:24

Every time I see that there is posted something in this topic I think, Aaah not again :(
I feel ashamed that this is started because of me.
I hope we can end this topic now.

@Andreus if they would say they made it I would be against it, but for personal use or LAN not.
Greets Skypper (Totally Insane)

- Beginning map maker -
<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

Post 06 Apr 2014, 11:32

So far I've had to remove two posts. The next one going off topic will receive an official warning.

Return to “Map Design”