Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

Strangelove's Campaign: The Barbarian King

<<

Skypper

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 17 Aug 2014, 22:17

Re: Strangelove's Campain

Nice looking? I already thought of discarding it and making a new one haha. Glad you liked it tho.
Thanks for the replay; I really enjoyed watching it, since it makes the balancing a lot easier. For example, I know now that I have to drastically increase the Enemies defence-radius haha. :P
I wouldn't disband this map.
The dessert thingy at X:150 Y:75 doesn't really fit in the map, with the grass land next to it and the lake above it.
And the forest in the lower right corner is a bit flat.

Deference positions could be a bit bigger.
Range of the second town (right) could be around 15, position 14 (anti-horse) 30 or position 12 (horse) 25.
If you fought the battles normal, not single unit formations and on the wall, you would lose a lot more units and this is only the second mission.
That would make it hard enough I think, but you should do as you think best ;).
Greets Skypper (Totally Insane)

- Beginning map maker -
<<

Strangelove

Crossbowman

Post 17 Aug 2014, 22:40

I wouldn't disband this map.
The dessert thingy at X:150 Y:75 doesn't really fit in the map, with the grass land next to it and the lake above it.
And the forest in the lower right corner is a bit flat.

Deference positions could be a bit bigger.
Range of the second town (right) could be around 15, position 14 (anti-horse) 30 or position 12 (horse) 25.
If you fought the battles normal, not single unit formations and on the wall, you would lose a lot more units and this is only the second mission.
That would make it hard enough I think, but you should do as you think best ;).
Yeah there are a few things that aren't nice or just do not fit. I remember I ran out of ideas when making it haha. We'll see if its better once I find some time and creativity to work on it again.

Well I guess I will just change the range of the enemy units, not the amount. Don't want to make it too hard for people that only fight "normal".

Thanks again for the replay and your valuable feedback! :)
<<

Dreamkiller

Militia

Post 13 Sep 2014, 16:37

Hey Strangelove.

You wrote me a message but I wasn't able to answer it, because you have private messages deactivated. So I am answering here. I am not working at the building anymore, sry. I don't have so much time. But if you have a problem in coding, I am maybe able to help you there. :)
<<

Strangelove

Crossbowman

Post 17 Sep 2014, 15:16

Hey Strangelove.

You wrote me a message but I wasn't able to answer it, because you have private messages deactivated. So I am answering here. I am not working at the building anymore, sry. I don't have so much time. But if you have a problem in coding, I am maybe able to help you there. :)
Oh, I think my inbox might be full. I gotta check. :S

I am sorry to hear that and hope you do have a little more time to spare in the future. :)
Thanks for the coding offer btw, but I think I'll be fine. I might change my mind tho. :P
<<

Strangelove

Crossbowman

Post 03 Oct 2014, 14:59

Uploaded one of the maps for testing purposes and for your entertainment. Enjoy. :P

(Excuse the doublepost!)
<<

Tiank

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Post 04 Oct 2014, 10:46

I played that TBK08 mission and I really liked it! :D I was lucky in few moments (especially during first attack at 1:00), I had to reload from saves (even from autosave) and good news is, that replay isn't breaking :). First attack was hard, probably because mostly all troops came at me (maybe lower defence range a bit?). Second attack, after I destroyed first AI's village was a surprise for me, however I managed to defend (again, reloading from save and some luck). That small passage is good to defend, but at the same time it's hard to go through it, if enemy's bowmen are in position, which is good :). I was surprised, after defeating that large Barbs group, that AI is still training some more Barbs! Nice addition :). Also, check out the range for Barbs in second village, cause when I was pulling Scout group, all Barbs came at me (again, I was lucky to defend it).

About the map, it looks really nice! There were few can't build places (again, I didn't see a reason, why these tiles were unbuildable), but that wasn't a problem.

I reall enjoyed this mission, it was simple and fun, building was cool, even though there was limited space. I was kinda expecting that I could make some iron, when I saw that little iron source near AI's village, but iron is not necessary at this mission. I had fun without it :).
TBK08 Tiank.7z
I'm looking forward to your other missions! :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Without honour, victory is hollow.
<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

KaM Skill Level: Veteran

Post 04 Oct 2014, 11:37

Nice map, I like your style. Reminds me of TSK. :) Only the mountain on the right is a bit... I don't know how to put it. :P But regard this as a compliment. Now, I did not play the mission itself; I'd rather wait for more before I start playing a campaign. :)
<<

Strangelove

Crossbowman

Post 04 Oct 2014, 15:02

I played that TBK08 mission and I really liked it! :D I was lucky in few moments (especially during first attack at 1:00), I had to reload from saves (even from autosave) and good news is, that replay isn't breaking :). First attack was hard, probably because mostly all troops came at me (maybe lower defence range a bit?). Second attack, after I destroyed first AI's village was a surprise for me, however I managed to defend (again, reloading from save and some luck). That small passage is good to defend, but at the same time it's hard to go through it, if enemy's bowmen are in position, which is good :). I was surprised, after defeating that large Barbs group, that AI is still training some more Barbs! Nice addition :). Also, check out the range for Barbs in second village, cause when I was pulling Scout group, all Barbs came at me (again, I was lucky to defend it).

About the map, it looks really nice! There were few can't build places (again, I didn't see a reason, why these tiles were unbuildable), but that wasn't a problem.

I reall enjoyed this mission, it was simple and fun, building was cool, even though there was limited space. I was kinda expecting that I could make some iron, when I saw that little iron source near AI's village, but iron is not necessary at this mission. I had fun without it :).
TBK08 Tiank.7z
I'm looking forward to your other missions! :)

Thanks for playing and for the feedback. I had the feeling that you'd like it. :P Nice of you that you uploaded the replay!

Like I said... the defence positions and the attacks are not a 100% done yet. Working on that right now. I will reduce the defence positions, but will increase the recruiting-amount and speed of the AI, since the map feels a bit too easy. Keep in mind that this is supposed to be the 8th map from 11 to 12 total.
The limited building space in this mission is intended. Due to the other maps being huge, with a lot of iron usually and a lot of building space as well, i thought i should also include a smaller map. :)
For the non-buildable tiles... I already reworked them. Elevation was just too drastic.

Nice map, I like your style. Reminds me of TSK. :) Only the mountain on the right is a bit... I don't know how to put it. :P But regard this as a compliment. Now, I did not play the mission itself; I'd rather wait for more before I start playing a campaign. :)
That it looks simular to TSK and TPR is no coincidence, since i learned to how make maps from the original campaign. I know that the mountains on the left side are not the prettiest. I will rework them as good as i can. But dont worry, you will be fine with the mountains of the other maps. They cost me a lifetime haha.
I do not think that you will have to wait that long anymore for more maps. Map2 to Map9 are already done design-wise. Most of them are just lacking either some npc-cities, defence positions or balancing.
<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

Post 04 Oct 2014, 15:07

That it looks simular to TSK and TPR is no coincidence, since i learned to how make maps from the original campaign. I know that the mountains on the left side are not the prettiest. I will rework them as good as i can. But dont worry, you will be fine with the mountains of the other maps. They cost me a lifetime haha.
I do not think that you will have to wait that long anymore for more maps. Map2 to Map9 are already done design-wise. Most of them are just lacking either some npc-cities, defence positions or balancing.
Hmm TPR is a bit different from TSK. Both have pros and cons, the trick is to take best from both. :) I wonder what your mountains look like when they are larger than the ones on this map; could you perhaps show us another map? :D
<<

Strangelove

Crossbowman

Post 04 Oct 2014, 15:24

Hmm TPR is a bit different from TSK. Both have pros and cons, the trick is to take best from both. :) I wonder what your mountains look like when they are larger than the ones on this map; could you perhaps show us another map? :D
Yeah, but I do actually think my maps are more TPR-Looking than TSK, but you can judge for yourself once more maps are out. I can't really upload a map with a good looking mountain now. Like I said... most of them aren't ready, but I can show you a pic of some mountains. :P Here you go:

Not perfect yet, but its goin somewhere! :)
<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

Post 04 Oct 2014, 15:39

So what's not finished about these mountains? ;)
<<

Strangelove

Crossbowman

Post 04 Oct 2014, 15:41

So what's not finished about these mountains? ;)
Some tile-variety. :)
<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

Post 04 Oct 2014, 17:15

Hmm I have mixed feelings about your mountains. Sometimes they look good like the one with the lava, but others aren't as good (like the iron mountain on the screenshot on the right) because it is a very repetitive pattern. Some people make their mountains too sharp/steep (I'm sometimes guilty of this myself) but some of your mountains could do with a little variation. As long as your mountains go from north-west to south-east you'll be fine, but from north-east to south-west might get you into trouble.

Somehow I am known for 'burning maps' when it comes to feedback, so please don't see this as harsh criticism; in fact, I like your style and if the scripts will be as good as your maps this will become a very high quality campaign. :)
<<

Strangelove

Crossbowman

Post 04 Oct 2014, 19:04

Hmm I have mixed feelings about your mountains. Sometimes they look good like the one with the lava, but others aren't as good (like the iron mountain on the screenshot on the right) because it is a very repetitive pattern. Some people make their mountains too sharp/steep (I'm sometimes guilty of this myself) but some of your mountains could do with a little variation. As long as your mountains go from north-west to south-east you'll be fine, but from north-east to south-west might get you into trouble.

Somehow I am known for 'burning maps' when it comes to feedback, so please don't see this as harsh criticism; in fact, I like your style and if the scripts will be as good as your maps this will become a very high quality campaign. :)
I can relate to that. Do not worry, I am not mad about your criticism. It's hard to create pretty mountains and consumes a lot of times, but I still try my best (usually). Always appreciate feedback. :P
I think I will be able to "release" TBK06 tomorrow (see those mountains on the left side of the pic). You can check all the mountains in there than! :)
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 06 Oct 2014, 16:47

Oooohhhh. That mountain with the lava! <3
I used to spam this forum so much...

Return to “Map Design”