Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

A Path Beyond

<<

dicsoupcan

Moorbach's Guard

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 07 Jul 2013, 19:56

A Path Beyond

Well it is time for a new map, this is another 3 vs 3 map and the name i picked is kind of obvious. the map is very open for battles.

you can attack the enemy from all directions,you can choose for a frontal assault, attack from the sides or even in the back.
If you have any constructive feedback please let me know.

At some places you can shoot over the mountains into enemy cities, this is intended, and there is a spectator player that can see thewhole map, otherwise it isjust an ai.
2013-07-07_00001.jpg
2013-07-07_00002.jpg
2013-07-07_00003.jpg
2013-07-07_00004.jpg
A Path Beyond.rar
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by dicsoupcan on 08 Jul 2013, 14:36, edited 1 time in total.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. ~ Winston Churchill
<<

Kamykos

Pikeman

Post 07 Jul 2013, 21:17

Re: A Path Beyond

I like this map because people wont be able to camp so much and it looks like my favourite unit-knights are useful here ;). Only thing disturbing me is that there is not many trees.
<<

dicsoupcan

Moorbach's Guard

Post 07 Jul 2013, 21:19

each loc has around 39 trees to cut, i think it will be enough. But a few gameplay tests will show if it is really a problem or not. i am actually expecting people to have food problems due to the lack of fish and low starting food.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. ~ Winston Churchill
<<

Skypper

Knight

Post 08 Jul 2013, 08:18

i think it looks nice :)
i would like to try your map.
Greets Skypper (Totally Insane)

- Beginning map maker -
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 08 Jul 2013, 14:20

I haven't downloaded it yet, Disco, but it is clear that your mountains are looking much better. I love the concept of archers being able to shoot into someone's base (discourages camping).

I tried the "back entrance" idea in Clavicus Valley, but it just takes too long for soldiers to make it around the map...
I used to spam this forum so much...
<<

sado1

Council Member

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Post 08 Jul 2013, 20:32

I like what I see, this map got potential both for gameplay and looks, I'd really like to hear TDL's opinion on the map because I can see the terrain is dull in some places but I don't know what precisely needs to be fixed. Maybe it's lacking some objects and elevation... not sure.
<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

KaM Skill Level: Veteran

Post 09 Jul 2013, 11:20

The mountains look much better indeed. Some suggestions:

- Make the back side of your mountains visible.
- Randomize the tile direction of your coal fields.
- Your map has elevation, but all on large scale. This looks good on a distance (like the screenshots), but less good when zoomed in. Try to add more variety to your elevation by using smaller brushes (even the smallest brush).
- I see you're having a hard time to fill up all that empty space. There aren't much maps that have so much space, so I can't give you very good examples, but at least look at Ambushed and see how they did it in a very easy way (that still looks pretty good).
- Your forests are no real forests, they're more like 'a tree here and there'. Try to make them more compact and do not use too many different trees (do not mix fir trees and other trees for example). Also, it is not compulsory to place your trees on certain tiles, it will look better if some of them are on the grass. Otherwise it will look artificial.

That's it for now I guess. :)
<<

Romek

Lance Carrier

KaM Skill Level: Veteran

Post 09 Jul 2013, 11:22

Something need to be added here because now it looks like big empty place without details. Terrain here need more objects because that empty places makes that map looking bad and boring. Also idea of the map is the simpliest what can be - 3 almost the same locations with open space putted in one straight line next to each other.

Return to “Map Design”