Leap of Faith

<<

dicsoupcan

Moorbach's Guard

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 23 Apr 2013, 21:33

Leap of Faith

Hello folks,

I have been working hard on a new map lately, and i have done the first version of it. The map is supposed to be king of the hill (KOTH) but i still need to make the script for it. Even though it is not scripted yet it is playable top vs bottom, left vs right, diagonal teams or 2 vs 2 vs 2 vs 2.

The locs:
2013-04-23_00001.jpg
2013-04-23_00002.jpg
2013-04-23_00003.jpg
2013-04-23_00004.jpg
General overview of the map:
2013-04-23_00006.jpg
2013-04-23_00005.jpg
Leap Of Faith.rar
the map itself (fixed):
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by dicsoupcan on 09 Jun 2013, 23:09, edited 1 time in total.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. ~ Winston Churchill
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 30 Apr 2013, 05:53

Re: Leap of Faith

It's very time consuming to write everything about maps on the forum every time, so next time we're both on TeamSpeak we'll have a chat about it, okay? :)

By the way: Nice name. Very suited for English (not something strange like "What the Land Thought"), and it's not boring (I'm tired of names like "The Northern Mountains")
I used to spam this forum so much...
<<

Leeuwgie

Sword Fighter

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 04 May 2013, 12:07

Hey Disco, I've had a look on your map, I wondered how finished it is...
Anyway, this is what I noticed:

+ both terrain and elevation look good, but not perfect.
+ same resources for all players
+ balance is perfect
+ amount of trees is perfect
+ starting food is low, I like it

- too many uninteresting places without details/hills/water or other things to make it look nice
- most mountains are too flat
- too many straight lines in the terrain, looks a little unnatural to me
- building space for player one is a little too few (compared to some others)
- maybe a little too easy to dig in with towers
- some sharp tiles
- looks like there is too much coal on the map

Sharing resources between players is annoying imo, but likely that's just my preference so I won't comment on that. I'm curious about the next update, good luck.

To
No matter what, always keep smiling ~ Bassie (from Bassie & Adriaan)
<<

dicsoupcan

Moorbach's Guard

Post 04 May 2013, 15:46

Points taken, except for the digging in with towers part since if i ever get the scipt done you need to capture the middle so you can still lose easily with towercamping. Project is on hold due to the fact that my pc died, the power supply fried.

Thanks for the feedback
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. ~ Winston Churchill
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Yahoo Messenger: lewinlewinhodgman

Post 04 May 2013, 21:08

You can use the script from Annie's Hill and change the coordinates/size of the hill (I can help, when it's ready just ask me)
<<

dicsoupcan

Moorbach's Guard

Post 04 May 2013, 21:36

I tried but it did not work for me:(
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Post 05 May 2013, 01:37

I tried but it did not work for me:(
What didn't work about it? Note that Annie's Hill uses a 3x3 area for the hill, your map looks like it might need a larger area, which is a fairly simple change I can make in the script.
<<

dicsoupcan

Moorbach's Guard

Post 21 May 2013, 14:52

Well i tried to test it quickly by placing an units close to the capture zone, but when i started the map all i had was a linenext to my hud saying The bridge (i do not even have a bridge?) and nothing else happened.

besides that i updated the map a little bit and i do think the changes improved it. It is still not perfect though.
Leap Of Faith.rar
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

pawel95

Castle Guard Swordsman

Post 21 May 2013, 16:23

Yes so I tried it, and it works perfectly for me. Only problem is, like you mentioned Lewin: The bigger area :$
So I watched this part of the script, but I after some tries I just gave it up, because I don´t really understand how to change from 3x3 to 8x8 for example :P :
  Code:
function GetCurrentHillOwner: Integer; var UnitOwner, X, Y: Integer; U: Integer; begin Result := -1; //Check 3 by 3 square around the hill for X := -1 to 1 do for Y := -1 to 1 do begin U := States.UnitAt(HILL_X+X, HILL_Y+Y); if IsSoldier(U) then begin UnitOwner := States.UnitOwner(U); //Owner = -1 means invalid, -2 means animals if (UnitOwner <> -1) and (UnitOwner <> -2) then begin //If we haven't found anybody else on the hill yet, this player is the owner for now if Result = -1 then Result := UnitOwner else if (Result <> UnitOwner) and not States.PlayerAllianceCheck(Result, UnitOwner) then begin //The hill has more than one player on it (not allies), so nobody owns it Result := -1; Exit; end; end; end; end; end;
KaM_Remake 2013-05-21 19-45-12-47.jpg

EDIT: haha Lewin it´s really strange. We have a problem. I get the "Someone is on the hill" message but disco not(we are in the same team). I know why this happens, and why it worked for me (see first picture). It look really funny:
When you open a lobby and choose e.g. anni´s garden start the game, leave and play discos map than. You will get the correct messge "Noone is king of the hill".
Now the funny thing. I tested my pol. Translation of Campaign "neryn" lost badly :D and went to the lobby and started discos map. I get a polish long text instead of "nobody is king of the hill", so the message from the libx./script. of the campaign mission, I thought WTF :D So it looks like the scipt would just work, but the Remake doesn´t know which message he should take, possible? Maybe it takes the messages from the file saved in "AUTOSAVE01"(other map) for example? :P

Here the funny message from my last played mission(pol. version of Campaign "neryn"):
KaM_Remake 2013-05-21 21-03-51-51.jpg
Pawel95
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Post 22 May 2013, 06:36

Change this:
  Code:
for X := -1 to 1 do for Y := -1 to 1 do begin U := States.UnitAt(HILL_X+X, HILL_Y+Y);
to this:
  Code:
for X := HILL_LEFT to HILL_RIGHT do for Y := HILL_TOP to HILL_BOTTOM do begin U := States.UnitAt(X, Y);
then at the top of the file put something like this:
  Code:
const HILL_LEFT = 12; HILL_RIGHT = 34; HILL_TOP = 56; HILL_BOTTOM = 78;
But with the correct coordinates of course.

@Pawel: Leap of Faith has no .LIBX file. Therefore the mission text comes from whichever mission was last played. dicsoupcan needs to include a .LIBX file with the messages he wants to be shown.
<<

pawel95

Castle Guard Swordsman

Post 22 May 2013, 10:10

Ah ok yeah :$ I see now that the other special maps have their own libx. file. Ok it workt now perfectly :mrgreen:
<<

dicsoupcan

Moorbach's Guard

Post 22 May 2013, 19:21

A big thanks to Lewin and Pawel for getting the script to work. that means i only need to improve visuals some more.
<<

dicsoupcan

Moorbach's Guard

Post 09 Jun 2013, 23:07

Well there is a small update here, we got a working script and the visuals are okish. i fixed quite some straight lines but i am sure there is more to do. i shall edit the first post with the newest version because there is no point in keeping the old one.

Return to “Map Design”