Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

Dynamic Script Mission Competition

<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 11 Apr 2013, 12:53

Dynamic Script Mission Competition

Greetings, KaM enthusiasts!

Today is the launch of the first KaM Remake map competition: The Dynamic Script Mission Competition! (Whew, that's a mouthful!)
As the name implies, this competition will include maps made with dynamic scripts. The goal of this campaign is to encourage users to use dynamic scripts, and to make more dynamic scripted missions for the Remake. Anyone is allowed to enter a map, and any map can be included (be it multiplayer or singleplayer) as long as they follow these rules:

1) The map's script must include features of dynamic script.
2) Users may only enter one map.
3) Users may work on teams of up to two users.
4) Users working with teams may only work on their team's respective map.
5) Judges may also enter, but they cannot receive a ranking place.

The competition will end on September 1st, at midnight (GMT). Competitors must have submitted their map to a judge before then or they will be disqualified from the competition. Following the end of the competition, the judges will evaluate the maps submitted by the following qualities:

1) Map quality: Maps that are aesthetically pleasing will receive higher scores in this category.
2) Quantity of Dynamic Script The more dynamic script used, the higher the score in this category.
3) Quality of Dynamic Script If the dynamic script used is fun, original, creative, playable, and bug-free, than a high score is likely to be achieved in this category.
4) Difficulty: Since this is a competition, the goal is to aim for the majority of the community; therefore, to achieve a perfect score in this category, beginners should find the mission rather challenging to play, average users should have a small challenge, but nothing serious, and expert players should have minimal troubles playing the mission.
5) Originality: Maps that include original ideas will have higher scores in this category.
6) Entertainment Value: A map that fulfils entertainment desires, through any means, will receive a higher score in this category.

These six categories will, together, make up the overall grade of the map. All scores will be out of five stars. Half stars (E.g., 3½ stars) may also be given.

1 Star: User did very poorly. No/minimal effort was given.
2 Stars: User did poorly in this category. Attempts were made, but were mostly unsatisfactory.
3 Stars: User met average expectations, but nothing remarkable.
4 Stars: User preformed well in this category. The work presented was above expectations.
5 Stars: User met extraordinary expectations. Five stars is preserved for only the most remarkable performances.

When the judges finish, the combined overall grades will determine the winner. The length of time it takes for judges to finish depends on the number of entries received.

If you have any questions, please email me at prince.lothar@gmail.com. Also, please either email me, another judge, or post here on the forum if you wish to enter the competition. I want to keep track of how many people have entered, if possible (Note that it is acceptable for competitors to not state that they are joining, and just submit a map).

For those of you who are having trouble getting started with scripting, Lewin has made a nice tutorial to help out beginners http://code.google.com/p/castlesand/wik ... icTutorial

Do NOT post your submissions on the forum. To the furthest extent possible, submissions are to avoid being public before they are released following the judging stage of the competition. This is meant to help keep the submissions fresh and surprising once they are released to the public.

Members of other forums: If you know of anyone who would like to enter who is a member of another forum, please notify me so I can enter their name here.

Good luck everyone, and have fun!

Current List of Registered Competitors (Checkmarks designate authors who have sent in their map):
1) Pawel95
2) Vas
3) Dicsoupcan ✓
4) Sado ✓
5) Siegfried ✓
6) Bence791
7) Tef
8) Shadaoe ✓
9) WollongongWolf
10) Duke Valennius ✓
11) RandomLyrics ✓
12) Skypper ✓
14) Andreus ✓
15) The Dark Lord ✓

Current List of Confirmed Teams:
1) Sado & Dicsoupcan

Current list of Judges:
1) Ben
2) Lewin
3) The Dark Lord
Last edited by Ben on 13 Sep 2021, 14:15, edited 22 times in total.
Reason: Updated Post
I used to spam this forum so much...
<<

pawel95

Castle Guard Swordsman

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Post 11 Apr 2013, 17:12

Re: Dynamic Script Mission Competition

I will make a SP map for sure soon. However one question: Is it also allowed to post one PACKAGE of maps = Campaign. Like 4 missons and you will give than a better rating, because one missions alone isn´t that nice, but all 4 together are really brilliant? :mrgreen:
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 12 Apr 2013, 02:44

No, sorry, the competition will only cover one mission. You cannot enter campaigns.

A prime reason for this is that competitors have only one mission to "get right" and so judges don't have an excessive amount of missions to play and judge.
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Yahoo Messenger: lewinlewinhodgman

Post 12 Apr 2013, 12:00

Nice work Ben :)
I made a news post about this on our website:
http://www.kamremake.com/2013/04/script ... mpetition/

I also made a tutorial to help people get started with scripted missions:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1493
Maybe you can put that in your first post?

I'm happy to help with judging (especially regarding anything technical/script related) although I can't be certain how much time I will have available. I could certainly read through each script and judge it's quality/complexity/cleverness.
<<

Allensham

Peasant

KaM Skill Level: Average

Post 12 Apr 2013, 12:55

Hi Ben,

I'm new to the forum and so far have only been reading stuff but decided to get involved (not with this however - just a question for now :P)

I've read the post on the Knights and Merchants Remake home page but will only the winning Map be added to official releaseed patch?

I'm enjoying playing all the added maps currently out there but can't wait to see maps made with better scripting available :D!
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Post 12 Apr 2013, 13:01

I've read the post on the Knights and Merchants Remake home page but will only the winning Map be added to official releaseed patch?
Welcome to the forums Allensham! :)
Krom and I (the KaM Remake developers) are currently the ones who decide which maps are added to the Remake, based on meeting a certain quality standard. All maps entered in this competition will be treated the same, if they are of high enough quality they will be officially added to the Remake :)
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 12 Apr 2013, 13:07

Indeed, Lewin speaks correctly. Just like all other submitted maps, the ones entered into this competition will be included in the Remake (along with a description saying what place they got). Also like your typical submitted map, if they are of low quality (Yes, I've judged some low-quality maps in competitions before) than they will not be included in the Remake unless they are fixed.
That being said, missions submitted for the competition may be edited following the conclusion of the competition; however, they will need a note saying that the current edited version is not the same as the version submitted for the competition (that way, if a very poor map is fixed, people won't be confused on why it got such a low place).
<<

Vas

Rogue

Post 12 Apr 2013, 15:57

Hi everyone..
I would like to join with one mission of my campaign. I will have finished the first chapter (10 missions) for the next release. Mission 6 shall be my candidat. It uses some cool stagings..
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 12 Apr 2013, 16:05

I would like this competition to include the other forums, too. Could someone let me know if they are interested in translating the instructions over to another forum?
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Post 13 Apr 2013, 06:21

Do NOT post your submissions on the forum. To the furthest extent possible, submissions are to avoid being public before they are released following the judging stage of the competition.
I think this rule might be a problem. For example we are hoping to include Vas' campaign in the next release, and he's going to enter one of his missions from that. Tower Defence by TDL could be the same (if he's "finished" it before the next release, he can always improve it before entering it in the competition).

Also TDL already posted his Tower Defence script on the forum when asking me for help, and I think it's useful for people to be able to do that (at least with parts of their script which are broken). If they sent it to me privately then nobody else can learn from my answers and I'll end up answering far more questions.

I think it's up to the author if they want to publish their work, obviously plagiarism is not allowed either way, but if people learn from seeing each others scripts then that's a good thing (as long as they don't directly copy).
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 13 Apr 2013, 06:43

"To the furthest extent possible"

If people have already revealed their map, that's okay, and if they need help, that's all good. I just want the missions to be a surprise for everyone...for the most part ;)
<<

Siegfried

Knight

Post 13 Apr 2013, 07:41

I like the idea and I love to see the outcome.

What about entering an already existing map that is heavily modified with a script? For my idea, it would be a waste of mapping power to make a new map that's basically the same as an already existing one.
Or what if I take the existing map and alter it in a small way only?
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 13 Apr 2013, 07:44

I hadn't thought of that. If I did, I'd probably say, "no," but it's going to be hard now that the competition has already started. Also, Sado has already translated the rules over on the Polish forum, so it will be annoying to update everything.

So, yes, it is possible, but know that I'd rather you not do this. Also keep in mind that I'm judging (lol ;))
<<

Siegfried

Knight

Post 13 Apr 2013, 07:51

I'm not eager to win the first price. It's just some deadline that helps me to motivate. So I'll give it a try. Either way, if I succeed, I will post it on the forums anyway and break the other rules, so I am fully aware that you will judge me accordingly :P
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 13 Apr 2013, 07:57

Understand that posting on the forum isn't technically against "rules." I just ask that you don't do it if you can avoid it, so the competition is fresh and exciting when the missions are released.

Return to “Dynamic Scripting”