Former Site Admin
Joined: 08 Jan 2009, 23:00
Location: California - Pacific Time (UTC -8/-7 Summer Time)
Today is the launch of the first KaM Remake map competition: The Dynamic Script Mission Competition! (Whew, that's a mouthful!)
As the name implies, this competition will include maps made with dynamic scripts. The goal of this campaign is to encourage users to use dynamic scripts, and to make more dynamic scripted missions for the Remake. Anyone is allowed to enter a map, and any map can be included (be it multiplayer or singleplayer) as long as they follow these rules:
1) The map's script must include features of dynamic script.
2) Users may only enter one map.
3) Users may work on teams of up to two users.
4) Users working with teams may only work on their team's respective map.
5) Judges may also enter, but they cannot receive a ranking place.
The competition will end on September 1st, at midnight (GMT). Competitors must have submitted their map to a judge before then or they will be disqualified from the competition. Following the end of the competition, the judges will evaluate the maps submitted by the following qualities:
1) Map quality: Maps that are aesthetically pleasing will receive higher scores in this category.
2) Quantity of Dynamic Script The more dynamic script used, the higher the score in this category.
3) Quality of Dynamic Script If the dynamic script used is fun, original, creative, playable, and bug-free, than a high score is likely to be achieved in this category.
4) Difficulty: Since this is a competition, the goal is to aim for the majority of the community; therefore, to achieve a perfect score in this category, beginners should find the mission rather challenging to play, average users should have a small challenge, but nothing serious, and expert players should have minimal troubles playing the mission.
5) Originality: Maps that include original ideas will have higher scores in this category.
6) Entertainment Value: A map that fulfils entertainment desires, through any means, will receive a higher score in this category.
These six categories will, together, make up the overall grade of the map. All scores will be out of five stars. Half stars (E.g., 3½ stars) may also be given.
1 Star: User did very poorly. No/minimal effort was given.
2 Stars: User did poorly in this category. Attempts were made, but were mostly unsatisfactory.
3 Stars: User met average expectations, but nothing remarkable.
4 Stars: User preformed well in this category. The work presented was above expectations.
5 Stars: User met extraordinary expectations. Five stars is preserved for only the most remarkable performances.
When the judges finish, the combined overall grades will determine the winner. The length of time it takes for judges to finish depends on the number of entries received.
If you have any questions, please email me at email@example.com. Also, please either email me, another judge, or post here on the forum if you wish to enter the competition. I want to keep track of how many people have entered, if possible (Note that it is acceptable for competitors to not state that they are joining, and just submit a map).
For those of you who are having trouble getting started with scripting, Lewin has made a nice tutorial to help out beginners http://code.google.com/p/castlesand/wik ... icTutorial
Do NOT post your submissions on the forum. To the furthest extent possible, submissions are to avoid being public before they are released following the judging stage of the competition. This is meant to help keep the submissions fresh and surprising once they are released to the public.
Members of other forums: If you know of anyone who would like to enter who is a member of another forum, please notify me so I can enter their name here.
Good luck everyone, and have fun!
Current List of Registered Competitors (Checkmarks designate authors who have sent in their map):
3) Dicsoupcan ✓
4) Sado ✓
5) Siegfried ✓
8) Shadaoe ✓
10) Duke Valennius ✓
11) RandomLyrics ✓
12) Skypper ✓
14) Andreus ✓
15) The Dark Lord ✓
Current List of Confirmed Teams:
1) Sado & Dicsoupcan
Current list of Judges:
3) The Dark Lord
Reason: Updated Post