Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

Salutations & Sneak Preview

<<

TonyDXIII

Lance Carrier

Post 12 May 2012, 03:06

Salutations & Sneak Preview

Greetings to all the realm,

I write to you today in introduction, known as TonyDXIII you may simply refer to me as Tony. I would like to inform you that there will in fact be a strategy guide for the Knights & Merchants game and following its completion the Peasants Rebellion. If you have ever taken a look at the Shattered Kingdom tab on the main page you will see my previous versions of how to guide players to successfully completing levels while experiencing as much enjoyment as possible. I've returned to complete the task I started nearly six years ago, now with a greater mind and sharper writing I hope to produce some of the most exciting fan fiction yet, as in not only improved formatting of the previous guides but as much as I wanted to retain the secret a novel like story which tells the events of the Shattered Kingdom. Well, I hope this has been fun and thank you everyone especially Tom aka T*AnTi-V!RuZz for being extremely helpful in getting me settled back in and also Lewin for taking the time to get a working version of SR3 at my disposal.

Once again thank you all,
Tony (TonyDXIII)

P.S. Oh yeah, here is a sneak preview to the servants of the King.
By tonydxiii at 2012-05-11
<<

TonyDXIII

Lance Carrier

Post 17 May 2012, 01:25

Re: Salutations & Sneak Preview

Hello all,

Wanted to get opinions on the type of guide players would want, obviously expert players understand the overall game but I might be able to provide some newer strategies. I'm going to be doing a play through now, mainly a slow paced and detailed one, sitting through each mission for a few hours to get the feel of events and such and probably kill them in a fell swoop. Just want some of the more inexperienced or troubled players opinions as what they would like, everything till level 13 isn't difficult in my humble opinion but 14-20 are just ridiculous to some extents at the amount of quick decisions you need to make.

All & All, thanks for any feedback won't disappoint

TonyDXIII
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Yahoo Messenger: lewinlewinhodgman

Post 17 May 2012, 13:20

I think most of the people on the forum are experienced KaM players so nobody here is too interested in a walkthrough, but I think it would be a good thing to have. We'll certainly put a link to it from the KaM Remake website.

I think a general strategy guide might be useful, especially for new players who haven't played KaM before. We are getting some new players in the Remake who haven't ever played KaM, so some strategy ideas could be very helpful I suppose.
<<

Garnu_Thorn

Rogue

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Yahoo Messenger: garnuthorn

Post 18 May 2012, 06:46

Yes, an actual strategy guide would be of help, especially one aimed at single player and multi-player information on what works best in case a walkthrough isn't absolutely a go to resource. Albeit mission walkthroughs are a bonus, with general strategy anyone can waltz through mission after mission with the right information on city building and tackle opponents, human or artificial intelligence. I'd still like some sort of a guide that is quite literally lacking in most of the game information sites, and thanks for starting back to getting one done.
<<

Kalischild

Post 30 Oct 2013, 19:35

I am an elderly (72) player of K&M, and seem unable whatever I do, to get past mission three.

I always get massacred in the opening march down. How do I avoid this?

All help greatly appreciated. Can I skip missions?

Kind regards

Kalischild
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 30 Oct 2013, 20:24

Then don't march into the ambush ;)

Seriously now, the strategy will be very different depending on if you are playing A) The original game mission B) The TPR version of the mission or C) The KaM Remake version of the mission.

If you are playing the Remake, I will be glad to give you a replay of my strategy. I can write a detailed post on how to win the mission for TPR/TSK if you provide with my what version of the mission you are playing.
I used to spam this forum so much...
<<

T*AnTi-V!RuZz

Former Site Admin

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 31 Oct 2013, 09:51

Hello Kalischild :)

You can find KaM TSK walkthroughs here: http://www.knightsandmerchants.net/walk ... /the-shat/

The one you're looking for: http://www.knightsandmerchants.net/walk ... alkthrough

Please note that these are old and were made using the original version of KaM TSK, but you might find them helpful. :)
<<

Litude

King Karolus

Post 01 Nov 2013, 15:36

Actually those walkthroughs were written for 1.58 SR2 so they are not that old. ;)

Nevertheless I thought the old walkthroughs you wrote were pretty well written and even if not in need of a walkthrough it was some pretty good fan fiction. And I'm sure we have visitors over here who are not all that experienced and have only shortly discovered the game through the remake, the steam or the gog version. For these a walkthrough might come in handy.
<<

Kalischild

Post 04 Nov 2013, 08:41

Then don't march into the ambush ;)

Seriously now, the strategy will be very different depending on if you are playing A) The original game mission B) The TPR version of the mission or C) The KaM Remake version of the mission.

If you are playing the Remake, I will be glad to give you a replay of my strategy. I can write a detailed post on how to win the mission for TPR/TSK if you provide with my what version of the mission you are playing.

Thanks for your reply. I don't know what version I am playing ( a sign of my ignorance). I bought the disk yonks ago, and revisit it every now and then in a vain hope of getting to survive mission 3. Are there patches I should get to update it? What are TPR and TSK? On some games there are cheats (like channel surf) that allow you to skip episodes. Anything like that here?

Once again, thanks for your time

Kind regards

Kalischild
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 04 Nov 2013, 09:20

TSK is an abbreviation for "The Shattered Kingdom" which was the original KaM game released in 1998. TPR = "The Peasants Rebellion" which was an expansion released in 2001. It should be obvious which game you have, but if it is not, then you can tell if you have the option to select two different campaigns, you have The Peasants Rebellion (TPR) Other ways to tell are if you have fish, siege weapons or a town hall, you have TPR. My guess is that you are running TPR, because most people have that version.

I can make guide for beating the TPR version, but I seriously recommend you download the patch (viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1647).

Also, you should download the mod for the game: The Knights and Merchants Remake. You can find it at kamremake.com. The Remake is available for free to owners of KaM TPR, and it fixes bugs, adds a map editor, and countless other features that were lacking in the original game.
<<

Post 09 Nov 2013, 21:16

Er..I have the original one, so I am a TSK'r. The disc says Copyright 1998, so i presume it's the original. I no longer have the CD jacket or manual, as both have gone astray during house moves, and I store my game discs in Crystalboxes, to save space.
I am considering buying TPR from GOG games site, although this means downloading it, which will be a first for me. Do either the patch, or the remake mod you mention apply to what I have?

Does this mean I'm stuck at mission 3 on what I have , until I get the newer version? By the way, thank you very much for the attention to my problem, which really is much appreciated. If I knew where you were, I'd buy you a beer.

Kind regards

Kalischild
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 10 Nov 2013, 04:22

If I knew where you were, I'd buy you a beer.
HAHAHA, that's great :D Though I don't drink beer, I appreciate the offer ;)

As for your problem, you sound like you have the original version of the game (TSK). Tomorrow or the day after, I can write you a detailed walkthrough with pictures :)

Also, if you have the original game (TSK) you cannot play the Remake. However, I assure you that buying TPR for $5.00 is definitely worth it. The Remake is extraordinary, by far surpassing the original game. Plus, if you buy TPR using one of the many links on the site, you are supporting the KaM community, and thus the Remake ;)
<<

Post 26 Dec 2013, 17:51

I have now acquired the current version, with tsk, tpr and the fan remake on the disk. First thing i notice is that the cheats I could use on my old version don't work here. I haven't yet got to my problem 3rd mission, but what do I do to avoid being massacred. By the way, I hope you had a good Christmas.

Kalischild.
<<

cmowla

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Expert

Post 26 Dec 2013, 19:39

I have now acquired the current version, with tsk, tpr and the fan remake on the disk. First thing i notice is that the cheats I could use on my old version don't work here.
Hey Kalischild.

The cheats for TSK apply to the remake (v r5503), but just in case you were talking about TPR, I have uploaded an image that I got from the web a few years ago which has the cheats for both TSK and TPR (I can't find it on the web now, so I uploaded it). As usual, you also need to left click the horses after you have checked all items in the storehouse that have been checked.
EDIT:
Oh, we have the cheats on this page as well.

I haven't yet got to my problem 3rd mission, but what do I do to avoid being massacred.
If you were referring to mission 3 of TSK, I just played it in the Remake and thus I have some replays that you can view in the remake (just extract the files to your desktop, open the extracted folder, select the .bas, .rpl, and .sav files and drag them into your saves folder under C-> KaM Remake -> saves).

If you want just a quick and messy win,
TSK03.zip
If you want to see how it's possible to lose only 1 troop (and possibly 0 troops) without reverting back to saves (without "cheating")
TSK03 (1 loss no saves).zip
And if anyone hasn't gotten this before, reverting back to 1 save, I made a 0 loss replay.
TSK03 (0 losses 1 save).zip
(For the 1 loss and 0 loss replays, I broke up the axefighters into single leaders. This can quickly be done by using the "S" hotkey to break up. First make the axefighter groups into 3 columns by 4 rows (when they face north or south), break them once with the S key, then press S again to break up the currently selected group of 6 and break them up once. Then press S 3 times to break up the currently selected group of 3 into single leaders. Repeat this process until you have a setup you desire).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Invasion won: with 0 losses and without save reloads|TSK 20 in 4.47 minutes|Border of Life Co-op Won in 1h33m55s|The Official KaM Speedrun Page
What makes me an Expert isn't my skill in of itself but my desire to win big.
<<

Post 27 Dec 2013, 18:36

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I shall now attempt to do things I've not done before, being a simple soul.

Also, I've hit on a fresh problem. I recall when I first loaded the disc, it mentioned a "fan Remake", but having installed the original game, I now find I can't get any combination of actions that gets me to that option. Even opening the disk in "My Computer doesn't seem to offer that choice, although there are a number of set ups available, they all seem to be for Sept 1998, and I had assumed a fan remake would be later.

Oh dear, I am causing trouble. Probably not at full speed, due to Christmas indulgence. Once again, thanks for all your help.

Kind regards

Kalischild.

Return to “Strategy Central”