Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

Sample of a Walkthrough Give me Feedback

<<

TonyDXIII

Lance Carrier

Post 12 Jul 2006, 19:39

Sample of a Walkthrough Give me Feedback

Hey Guys, well basically I wanted to give you a view of one of my walk through's, its one of the earlier missions so they're pretty simple and easy to complete so just wanted some feed back if it actually helps you with the level. Thanks for Reading and here it is.

Mission 4 ? The Fortress of Lauenburg

Opponents: Lauenburg (Yellow)
Allies: None
Difficulty: Recruit

Vital Counsel:

? This Mission can be won with your starting army.
? This Mission supplies you with a small town already.
? There is a Stables located in your town, you can not build another.
? The Enemy is split into two towns which will not assist each other.
? Your Army: 12 Axe Fighters, 12 Bowmen, 9 Lance Carriers.
? Direct assault on the enemy will only result in your defeat; you must slowly pull out the enemy army and rout each brigade separately.
? This mission is the first in which you are required to produce your own gold chests; it is very simple and isn?t hard.

Detailed Strategy:

As the mission initiates you will notice you are off to your best start yet, a strong starting army and a nice town built for you already and capable of providing some source of food as well. But it needs one thing; construct a school house as soon as the mission begins as your going to need it and after wards go on to building a quarry or maybe two if you like and two woodcutter?s huts.

Now you soldiers are already in a good formation, line up the axe fighters on top and the lance carriers below them and finally the bowmen behind them in the center, and remember behind them not in the same line! And take out a single bowman and resort back to the tactics you learned in Mission 2. Now lure out and kill all the soldiers, the only tricky part is save before battle as you don?t want to lose troops. In fact if you lose any troops in the fight or more then three or four in a single bridge battle field area reload as you need a lot of troops.

Now the problem with the first area is they enemy has three brigades of bowmen, and rushing in will result in the loss of most if not all of your soldiers. So do the same tactic as in mission two, keep those axe fighters close on the bridge to eliminate the threat of bowmen before they get you, act fast though since you are close the other archers will rush out to attack.

Now make sure, you go back to your economy also, build more farms and such buildings like the swine farm and butcher. Don?t worry about mines, this mission is almost over. Now go home feed your troops and raze the enemies first town but watch out watchtowers are below. Get to a position in to which you can lure out the enemies second army and use the same tactics until it is defeated and you can raze the second town and capture the fortress of Lauenburg to achieve the victory that your army has fought for.
<<

Krom

Knights Province Developer

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 12 Jul 2006, 20:02

Beginning of a walkthrough is really good, but later on it collapses in "see below" "do as earlier" "you already know how to deal it" etc.. which is not very good for "Detailed Strategy" IMO.

Also you cover rush tactics while building a town :?
I suggest keep rush tactics optional while keep main focus on "proper" tactic.
Knights Province at: http://www.knightsprovince.com
KaM Remake at: http://www.kamremake.com
Original MBWR/WR2/AFC/FVR tools at: http://krom.reveur.de
<<

TonyDXIII

Lance Carrier

Post 12 Jul 2006, 21:06

So like I do understand what your saying. I probably should make them longer then, I mean I actually wrote down so many notes in my notebook while going through the campaign of The Shattered Kingdom and lately I look at them and I do say it is a bit confusing as when a person looks at a strategy they might not know what to do as earlier or before.

So like would you say, explain things out better and separate the rushing tactic from the regular one. I mean I'll give you this sample of Mission 8 and tell me if you think its better then the previous one as those other ones were a bit rushed. Okay this is actually what I want my final products to look like detailed and good. Better? Worst? You all decide I am doing it all for our people :)

Mission 8 ? The Northern Tribes

Opponents: Barbarian Chieftains (Brown)

Allies: None

Difficulty: Crusader

Vital Counsel:

? This Mission is much different then anything you?ve dealt with in the past. It will introduce a new unit the Barbarian which is very powerful, these natives use weapons larger then your soldiers and much more deadly.
? The Enemy towns are heavily fortified so the methods of drawing the enemy out will not work and will only result in your slow demise.
? The Enemy is split into two towns which will not assist each other.
? Your Army: 27 Axe Fighters and 15 Bowmen
? The mission will last over five or six hours if you deal with your enemy right, plan things out and don?t rush your conquering of the enemy.
? If you?re good enough you can defeat the barbarian village to the west with your starting army, but there are methods I will explain. Taking at least one village out will make it a bit easier on you.

Detailed Strategies:

As the mission begins you will immediately receive a message from your advisor about the barbarian invasion about to commence. Now do not panic because you are going to die now, as over 40 barbarians will attack your city and slay all of your towns people and soldiers and the level will end right there. No I?m just fooling you, but got scared there for a moment didn?t you?

Now I?m going to provide you with an excellent strategy, this is called my ?sit back and learn? method as it will provide you with creating a perfect defense with a stellar offense. Now the mission itself I?ve completed 4 times in a row to get an average time and most likely it will take you six hours to accomplish.

Now build yourself a school house on the left side of your storehouse as we are going to expand the town out to the north near the other enemy towns, dangerous yes but don?t worry. After building your school house construct an Inn on the right of your store house to expand the town in the east. You should be a minute or more in, now take three axe fighters from your brigade of fifteen and send those three north, they will stop the barbarian invasion I spoke of before. Separate all of them, don?t attack together, use one and they will stop, when your troops at home engage in battle they?ll move again and use the next one, and there is possibility the second group moves to use the last one.

About five minutes into the game you will see militia coming out from the darkness, actually the western barbarian village the lesser of two evils. You will handle them very quickly and we can begin constructing your large town and get ready to embark on this journey of conquering the northern lands.

Okay now, look at the gap in your horizons near the north; it should be from your iron mountain, to where your gold mountain is located past that small hill of rock. Here is where you shall build your bulwark to defend yourself from the enemy attacks as they shall be coming all in the same direction but from two different villages. Now I chose this way to build the watchtowers as it gave me much more space to work with and protected my mining area better. You should build six to seven watchtowers choose which you please. To construct at a quicker pace just train your self 3-4 more laborers and some more serfs.

After the construction of the bulwark, you should get started on your basic resource buildings. Construct a quarry near your inn, and then one near your school house inward near the mountain not near the watchtowers. Doing it this way will get rid of the small hill of stone so you can place troops there later and they will both get stone from the larger mountain where you can build any kind of buildings you want later in the mission.

Now make sure your troops have surveyed the entire area of your occupancy, you will see many trees, along those build two or three wood cutters huts going in a downward pattern so you can leave space. Build them close to the edge of the map as the center of the map below your storehouse will be used for your farming area later. When you?ve constructed the wood cutters huts go on and construct two sawmills so you can get your wood supplies back up.

Now taking a look at your subjects very quickly try to have 15-20 serfs to assure efficiency and have some hanging around to let you know you have people ready to work, and then if you want have 6-7 laborers total as anymore will really just be a waste of gold for you as you have a limited supply.
<<

twelvespike

Rogue

Post 12 Jul 2006, 22:14

Hey looks pretty good. I am just doing level 20 then will start my walkthroughs!

Check my walkthrough on level 8 when it is released,as i have a different strategy to completing it!!!! Interestin!!

i look forward to reading the rest of it.

Martyn
<<

Krom

Knights Province Developer

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 13 Jul 2006, 05:10

This one is more detailed for sure :) I like it this way (may be a tiny bit shorter though). I hope you write detailed attacking tactics for the mision aswell.

You have got interesting startegy. I never thought about offending attackers. I always built 3/4 towers as soon as mission starts (twelvespike, you did aswell ?).

I have a suggestion, why don't you put mission time and other statistics in single paragraph ? That would help to get mission complexity. (mission time, serf count, armies count, number of sausiges left :))
Knights Province at: http://www.knightsprovince.com
KaM Remake at: http://www.kamremake.com
Original MBWR/WR2/AFC/FVR tools at: http://krom.reveur.de
<<

twelvespike

Rogue

Post 13 Jul 2006, 13:54

Yeah my tactic which i planned on releasin in my guide was to build a row of about 5 watchtowers between the stone and sit the archers behind them with the axemen covering any gaps. This is after building a school and getting more serfs and labourers to transport stone etc. Then u can start doin the mission and get on with it.

Martyn
<<

TonyDXIII

Lance Carrier

Post 13 Jul 2006, 16:47

Well I had statistics written down in my notebook, they were the ones you see after the mission is completed. And I think I'm going to start playing the campagin again except this time take more detailed notes on like you said my subject counts of serfs and laborers for best efficancy.

I mean missions 1-7 can be completed in an hour the quickest but you can make them go on for ages, but the only levels really worth the challenge are basically mission 4,5 & 7 since they are pretty tough if you allow the enemy to grow and build a powerful army. But its nothing many bowmen can't take down.

This game overall is very easy if you have to groups of infantry and like 3-4 groups of bowmen, even easier with crossbowmen.

Anyway, my stats from mission 8 were I lose like 80 units, and killed 1020...over 60 buildings completed. I go crazy sometimes you know. But I'm really going to improve the overall standing of my guide complely I'm going to post somthing else in a bit to see if you guys like it. Its from my economic guide and military guide.

Tony :)
<<

TonyDXIII

Lance Carrier

Post 13 Jul 2006, 16:53

Here is my economic sample. Kinda Complete but still needs some revising as I'm spliting things up so I can deticate more space to buildings and such.

I.) The Stonemason; The Quarry

? An important and essential part of your economy is stone, it is used to pave roads, build new houses and also for your watchtowers.
? The Stonemason resides in the Quarry. He will cleave large chunks of rock from mountains and then cut them into stone available to use.
? For each chunk of rock he will produce three stones and a maximum of seven stones can be held in the Quarry.
? It is best to have two quarry?s built immediately to assure you have enough stone to build your town, and construct them in the vicinity of to the rock mountain and away from each other also; one on each side.
? My Method: Most rock mountains are gigantic; therefore I construct three Quarries? as I tend to pave a lot of my town with roads. If there are separated sections of mountains, build a single one then build others near the other mountains to assure you don?t run out while building.

My Military Guide, These are basically opinionated and I finalized them already since they're what works best for me and actually you'll see it used by the enemy alot so it does work in a way.

IX.)T he Sword Fighter

? The Sword Fighter is the most powerful infantry unit you can produce. He is very strong and can withstand a lot of punishment but also can deal out a lot of punishment. These should be a must have in your army in the later part of your missions as they aren?t hard to make and are very beneficial to both your offense and the defense of your town.
? Requirements to Make: 1 Sword, 1 Iron Armament, 1 Iron Shield, and 1 Recruit.
? Best Formation: 4 x 3 Totals of Twelve Troops. 5 x 3 Totals of Fifteen Troops. 6 x 3 Totals of Eighteen Troops.
? Special Tactic: Storm Attack = +2 Speed, Increased Attack.
<<

twelvespike

Rogue

Post 13 Jul 2006, 20:38

Yeah that is a pretty good explanation of the economy and army side of the game. I think im going to try and do a guide on the levels but add an economic brief and military brief as well. With the number of people doing walkthroughs we will have a lot of expertise and manuals to look to! When/If we crack how to use multiplayer without it crashing maybe we could even do team games!!! well gud!!!

Martyn
<<

Litude

King Karolus

Post 16 Jul 2006, 21:16

I'm sorry that I've not been able to respond earlier, been away for the past week :(. I gotta say that your guides are really good with only some small flaws in sight. They will sure have a place on my website soon :).

First off, I really like those small things you've added into the starting section like the names of the enemies and the information of your allies. The difficulties are nicer with more innovative words than just easy, medium and hard, but they also unfortunately have a side effect. Keep in mind that the one who reads these might not be a native English speaker (like me) and therefore understanding the real difficulty level could be troublesome. Now I don't know a possible solution for this one, two ideas that I've had were to either make the color of the difficulty go from green to red (easier->harder) or then write easy, medium or hard after the difficulty in pharentesis.

Then to the walkthrough itself, as Krom already pointed out referring to things that were taught in earlier missions is not a good idea, because what if someone has played through missions 1, 2 & 3 but desparately stuck in mission 4 and therefore came looking for a walkthrough for that mission and there's no way he/she would know what you mean by the tactics that you taught in mission x.

The rush strategy in mission 4 lacks details, as if you have a nice formation you might still fail or at least I've managed to do it, as sometimes it seems to be up to pure luck whether the bowmen that are hiding in the forest to the north and the ones to the south stay there or decide to join the party and fight you. If they decide to join your pretty much ****ed to be honest.

Then let's take a look at the walkthrough for mission 8.

The strategy you mentioned to stop the barbarians by sending some troops will most likely work as long as you're playing TSK which it seems like your playing, right? As in TPR managing to do this is extremely difficult as after you stop the troops they will continue walking into your base. If I recall correctly (which I doubt :P) I've managed to do it once. I don't know how we should solve this problem as writing seperate walkthroughs for the campaigns using TPR or TSK is really unessecarry, so the solution is to put the strategy to use when playing the campaign using TPR in the same place, that means using a good formation and having watchtowers will make you survive the battle. No cheating in TPR :wink:

I take you mean with sample as incomplete, right? Anyways what did you mean by the limited gold supply part, I recall that there was more than enough gold to afford around 10 laborers, even though I'm not sure on this one. Or was there lack of coal? Maybe I should play the mission again and at the same time finish of TPR for once (stopped playing at mission 11(?) for some reason :P)

I'm not trying to sound rough, just give you some constructive critism. When you have improved them a bit I'm going to use them and most likely use them as replacement for the ones I've written for missions 1-3 until I get a good idea on how to implent a system where different walkthroughs can be choosen as I feel my ones were a bit rushed and could be heavily improved.
<<

TonyDXIII

Lance Carrier

Post 16 Jul 2006, 21:50

Thanks I appreciate it, I usual look for people to point out my mistakes. I mean I know I have talent to write out tons of information and other things, I just make a lot of stupid mistakes in my witting and such. So yeah I am going to really put work into the guides and all the strategies.

I bought Diablo II the other day and like I'm kinda of hooked and haven't stopped playing for like 12 hours lol. But yeah I got a little tired of it today and I'll be sure to keep doing what I can with the guide.

Anyway, about mission 8 I'm using the new English one you posted on the site, which I recommend everyone to download it. Its like 16 bucks i think and it plays out awesome. TPR still sucks but the shattered kingdom still is great. And Yeah about the difficult thingies I did have a pre-page to the Guide explaining all the enemies, and difficulties and my guide in general. But I understand what your saying so I'll change it around.

Thanks Hotdog, along with others hehe
Tony

Return to “Strategy Central”