Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

archer issues

<<

mrmojo

Peasant

Post 17 Oct 2015, 17:58

archer issues

Hey everyone.... I am new to the game and the forums. The problem I have been having is getting the longbow men to engage the enemy. I mass ground guys in front of them and lure enemy to attack them and my archers sometimes do nothing even though they are very close to the incoming bad guys. Sometimes I use the attack button with a group of archers (the one that looks like a dagger for a pointer) and they will rush to the enemy location rather than firing from a distance.

I know this is a very basic question but can some one tell me the proper way to fight with them??

Thanks for all the help!
<<

cmowla

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Expert

Post 17 Oct 2015, 19:56

Re: archer issues

Hey everyone.... I am new to the game and the forums. The problem I have been having is getting the longbow men to engage the enemy. I mass ground guys in front of them and lure enemy to attack them and my archers sometimes do nothing even though they are very close to the incoming bad guys. Sometimes I use the attack button with a group of archers (the one that looks like a dagger for a pointer) and they will rush to the enemy location rather than firing from a distance.

I know this is a very basic question but can some one tell me the proper way to fight with them??

Thanks for all the help!
The attack button (and right click) should not be used for archers to attack other units. What's happening to you is normal. You simply can only position your archers (have them stop moving, face a certain direction, etc.). This is how Knights and Merchants has been since the beginning, and now in the Remake, archers are more annoying because they fire sideways and thus you can hardly control which units they fire at.

For example, I had to constantly halt my bowmen in my Invasion Live Game Play Game at this point in the game so that they wouldn't get flanked. However, the KaM remake developers implemented this characteristic for the archers so that they wouldn't get flanked. The remake is highly used for multiplayer, and thus I guess this characteristic generally works better where it "counts", and not in extreme single player AI maps like Invasion.
Invasion won: with 0 losses and without save reloads|TSK 20 in 4.47 minutes|Border of Life Co-op Won in 1h33m55s|The Official KaM Speedrun Page
What makes me an Expert isn't my skill in of itself but my desire to win big.
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Yahoo Messenger: lewinlewinhodgman

Post 19 Oct 2015, 00:24

Re: archer issues

I guess you are playing the original Knights and Merchants not KaM Remake, since we removed the attack button on the left menu in KaM Remake in favour of right clicking on the target.

Archer behaviour has been improved in KaM Remake (right clicking on the enemy will give better results), I suggest you try it:
http://www.kamremake.com/

Return to “Strategy Central”