Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

Low starting resource maps?

<<

UrbanAchiever

Serf

Post 07 Aug 2015, 20:31

Low starting resource maps?

Are there any multiplayer maps where the starting resources in the storehouse are very low so that the players dont have the opportunity to rush to weapon production? Where they are forced to first get their food and gold production up otherwise they will starve or wont be able to produce units.

I dont have any specific numbers in mind but am hoping to get some input from others on this.

The goal of this in my mind is to make it so you are forced to produce the minimum buildings to survive but will have just a few extra resources to pour into whatever you would like to tech to.
Example:
Say everyone starts with 20 gold(Just an example to simplify this)
Say to get a village to the minimum sustainable level would take 16 gold.

Now you have 4 gold to spread between whatever tech you would like. Maybe you would want to get your mines up earlier or get more farms for the future leather production.

This would make builds more important than just knowing how many farms are needed to support a mill or swine farm.
I think it would make for more creative play from players.
<<

Jeronimo

Knight

Post 09 Aug 2015, 21:01

Re: Low starting resource maps?

Advice: Download a replay from "Results from Multiplayer games".
You need to see with your own eyes, how is the pace of a multiplayer game.

55-60 chests is the minimum in terms of reaching your 1°Treasury at constant non-stop School training (from moment you finish 1°School).
It's proved that giving less initial resources, makes strategies even more linear... and LINEAR is a bad word in RTS, specially KaM which has slow economic set up.

One example is the map Rebound 6p. The resources are slow, still is played with 60 PT, but with slow resources (e.g food) you are FORCED to build 1 Mill-1 Bakery with your 1°Farm.
WIth a bit higher initial food you can explore different and real build strategies, like starting with 1 Swine or even 1 Stable.

To sum up relationship between "initial storehouse resources" and "strategical diversification"-> LESS is less, and MORE is more.
KaM Skill Level: Jeronimo
<<

UrbanAchiever

Serf

Post 11 Aug 2015, 17:31

Advice: Download a replay from "Results from Multiplayer games".
You need to see with your own eyes, how is the pace of a multiplayer game.
Where can i find this one? Is there a database of replays somewhere? I have seen the shoutcasts but its hard to analyse gameplay when you cant choose what to look at.
To sum up relationship between "initial storehouse resources" and "strategical diversification"-> LESS is less, and MORE is more.
But if you have less resources you are FORCED to choose how to develop. It seems that with a 60pt and the normal starting resources both players are able to build up all production by the time PT is over. That includes food/leather/iron. They arent forced to choose anything but are able to make everything.
"Yeah well, you know, that's like your opinion , man"
<<

Tiank

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Post 11 Aug 2015, 17:53

Where can i find this one? Is there a database of replays somewhere?
There is a topic in Game Replays section, however, it's outdated a bit, but since this post replays will work in current RMK version.
Without honour, victory is hollow.
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 10 Sep 2015, 15:37

Very late reply, but consider looking into my map, Rebound. It's designed to make it much more difficult to ignore food completely during the early game. because of the location design, the map is still not so difficult in the end ;)
I used to spam this forum so much...

Return to “Strategy Central”