Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

New tactics in KaM???

<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 19 Apr 2015, 20:50

Re: New tactics in KaM???

...but even flies are annoying in larger numbers ;).
Lol. Good one ;)

The reason I think scouts, xbows, and militia should be boosted is by how seldom they are seen in competitive play. I mean militia are fine, but I think the game would be slightly better if militia were slightly better. I think all axe units could use an increase in attack. Would be nice.
I used to spam this forum so much...
<<

Esthlos

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 20 Apr 2015, 07:06

I think all axe units could use an increase in attack. Would be nice.
I actually agree.

Either this or Market prices should be changed:
Buying
  • 1 Militia costs 11 Corn
    1 Axe Fighter costs 23 Corn
    1 Sword Fighter costs 37 Corn
Stats-wise
  • Axe Fighters only have 1 more Def than Militia
    Sword Fighters have 1 more Def and 20 more Attack than Axe Fighters
This means that the cost difference for buying a Sword Fighter instead of an Axe Fighter is very similar to that of buying an Axe Fighter instead of a Militia, but, in addition to the +1 Def, Sword Fighters also get a huge Attack increase.
Iron availability does not matter in this case: either the Market prices are way off or Sword Fighters are too powerful.

But! Pikemen consistently win (seen in an old test) against an equivalent number of Sword Fighters, both with and without ranged support for both; making Sword Fighters weaker would imbalance this and we'd never see Sword Fighters again.
Also, since they are both Iron troops, Market prices don't actually matter here.

So if I'm not wrong the only logical conclusion is that Axe warriors do indeed need a buff.
Also, economy needs a lot of work to run effiecently, I noticed, that wihtout sausages it's really hard to set up and maintain your food economy. It's okay if there's plenty of fish, but then you need to rely only on bread and vine combo later on, so you need to focus on making these early on (it's especially hard and not worth it on 60 PT).
How so? (?)

Bakeries can produce up to 2,38 Loaves per Farm per minute (which equals 2572,01 seconds of feeding per minute), while Butchers' can produce up to 0,88 Sausages per Farm per minute (which equals 1420,83 seconds of feeding per minute).

Even accounting for building space and the more frequent travels to the Inn, the difference is still huge...
I remember when I lost 70milities vs 8knights without a single kills on an opened battlefield. And there wasnt snipers.
At this moment i dont beilive in the mass milities.
70 Militia (20 columns formation) vs 8 Knights (8 columns formation): Militia won 100 out of 100 battles (100%).

I think you were just incredibly unlucky... :(
Or maybe, since you mentioned Snipers, these Knights had the Retribution bonus, which is a huge boost in this kind of situations... :wink:
Just when you think you know something, you have to look at it in another way, even though it may seem silly or wrong. You must try! - John Keating, "Dead Poets Society"
<<

thunder

Moorbach's Guard

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 20 Apr 2015, 08:05

I remember when I lost 70milities vs 8knights without a single kills on an opened battlefield. And there wasnt snipers.
At this moment i dont beilive in the mass milities.
70 Militia (20 columns formation) vs 8 Knights (8 columns formation): Militia won 100 out of 100 battles (100%).

I think you were just incredibly unlucky... :(
Or maybe, since you mentioned Snipers, these Knights had the Retribution bonus, which is a huge boost in this kind of situations... :wink:

Sometimes the theoretical isnt same as the real game :wink:
If you cathch a long walking line then 3 knights could kill them 1by1 also.
The situation is similar what comwola use in his SP missions where 1 barbarian could kill 30knights...etc...
But I think to at that moment I just was simply unlucky because I tried to kill 10 knights wth 70milities:D
<<

Killer!!

Sword Fighter

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Post 12 Aug 2015, 16:36

Hey all,

Yesterday I played a 1v1 game against Mr Fu!
The game started quite late and I just wanted to do something else then the standard bow-sword combination.

So I tried to do a sword-xbow combination with some knights added to this.
you can see the result in the screenshot or by watching the replay.

It's really nice to experiment with gamestyles in KaM otherwise the game gets borring in my opinion. ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Do you want to play with/against me? Just write me a PM :D
<<

sado1

Council Member

Post 13 Aug 2015, 04:47

While this is extremely anti-lategame, this might be a very nice tactic to be used in a big 4v4 game. Nice.
<<

Da Revolution

Knight

Post 13 Aug 2015, 07:17

I think you should try to make some axes as well. It adds something for after your iron spam and judging the amount of recruits, you should have room for it.
"No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path" - Buddha
<<

Jeronimo

Knight

Post 13 Aug 2015, 10:14

It's really nice to experiment with gamestyles in KaM otherwise the game gets borring in my opinion. ;)
Sado called your city very "anti-lategame". If you had to experiment a playstyle called "pro-lategame", how would you build it?

Beyond armybuilds, what makes a KaM match "good & entertaining" is the amount of comebacks... those where you fight from base to base (not camping if you won in your home's defense).
Sadly, we don't see often matches with comebacks, since ~90% of them end before 1:20:00. KaM's real tactic is to win 1st battle with enough remaining soldiers to walk through enemy's towers and gg.
KaM Skill Level: Jeronimo
<<

Killer!!

Sword Fighter

Post 13 Aug 2015, 11:16

Hey all,

I wanted to see if this iron strategy also works in a team game and on a map which is more difficult.
I did add some axes to my base and also I made a stable instead of 2 mills because on my location I was able to abuse the fish.
It was me and To (loc 1 and 6) vs LadyPauline and Fu (loc 4 and 5) on Across the Desert.

Here is a screenshot + replay of the game again ;)

SIem
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Do you want to play with/against me? Just write me a PM :D
<<

Chris

Militia

KaM Skill Level: Average

Post 14 Aug 2015, 16:15

Interesting tactic siem!
The clown formerly known as Fu
<<

TheodorKarlsruhe

Blacksmith

Post 15 Oct 2015, 22:08

I play almost every time (and every day) in online game with barbarians. Tell me please, who will win in this constellation:

- 20 barbarians vs 20 pikemen
- 20 barbarians vs 20 knights
- 20 barbarians vs 30 swordsmen
No pains, no gains
<<

Strangelove

Crossbowman

Post 16 Oct 2015, 06:29

I play almost every time (and every day) in online game with barbarians. Tell me please, who will win in this constellation:

barbarians
knights
swordmen

...if i recall correctly
<<

cmowla

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Expert

Post 17 Oct 2015, 14:10

barbarians
knights
swordmen

...if i recall correctly
Below are replays (without saves) showing that there is an exception to all of these rules if you position your units right AND the odds are in your favor.
lost 6 barbs, defeated 20 knights (this was on my first try)
cmowlaKnightvsBarb.zip
lost 7 barbs, defeated 30 swords (this was on my third try)
cmowlaBarbsvsSwords.zip
lost 13 pikes, defeated 20 barbs (this was on my 8th try)
cmowlaBarbsvsPikes.zip
I would say that it's about a:
75% chance 20 barbs could take out 20 knights with a setup like this,
40% chance 20 barbs can take out 30 swords with a setup like this, and
10% chance 20 pikes can take out 20 barbs with a setup like this,

But definitely if you wanted to cause "the most damage" possible with what you have, it definitely doesn't hurt to try to position your units like this, even though you will most likely lose all of your troops with the barb and pike match, for example.
Invasion won: with 0 losses and without save reloads|TSK 20 in 4.47 minutes|Border of Life Co-op Won in 1h33m55s|The Official KaM Speedrun Page
What makes me an Expert isn't my skill in of itself but my desire to win big.
<<

TheodorKarlsruhe

Blacksmith

Post 19 Oct 2015, 15:10

Great, thank you for your analysis:) I play only with barbs every night, mostely 220-250 of them are made after 90 minutes pt. I love them and I agree wioth you: the position is making the big difference in fight.
No pains, no gains
<<

SimCity

Lance Carrier

Post 12 Dec 2015, 15:31

Sado called your city very "anti-lategame". If you had to experiment a playstyle called "pro-lategame", how would you build it?

Beyond armybuilds, what makes a KaM match "good & entertaining" is the amount of comebacks... those where you fight from base to base (not camping if you won in your home's defense).
Sadly, we don't see often matches with comebacks, since ~90% of them end before 1:20:00. KaM's real tactic is to win 1st battle with enough remaining soldiers to walk through enemy's towers and gg.
Buahaha, exactly! No Italian style taken from football matches, just one attack and go home!
<<

thunder

Moorbach's Guard

Post 21 Sep 2018, 13:22

I was out of a bit from the Remake. Just came back few weeks ago.
What is the current META?
Thanks! :wink:

" you just have to choose teammates very well."

Return to “Strategy Central”