<<

Esthlos

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 02 Feb 2014, 09:52

Peacetime and Strategies in the Remake

Premise, from here: http://aoeo.heavengames.com/strategy/gu ... e-vs-boom/
The Rush

Per definition, a rush is an attack that occurs as soon as possible, often just a couple of minutes into the game. For unprepared foes, it can be devastating. If you can defend successfully from a rush, you will have a signifcant advantage.
On the other hand, a successful rush can be a devastating setback to your economy.

To rush well, you have to streamline your economy as much as possible in order to attack as fast as possible.

Advantages:

By attacking before your opponent is ready you can harass and disrupt your enemy's entire economy. Rushing gives you the momentum n the game: Since you are the aggressor, you are determining where (in your enemy's base) and when (before your foe is ready) the battles are going to take place. This also keeps your opponent at slight psychological disadvantage. Even if you only merely harm your opponent, it might drive him/hert to an ill-advised counter-attack.
Overall, rushing is the one most commonly used strategies, and arguably the most effective.

Disadvantages:

The rush leaves you extremely weak and vulnerable. If your attack is repelled, you're in a lot of trouble: You have fewer villagers and no economic improvements researched, and thus a much weaker economy.

The Turtle

The "turtle" is the counter to the rush strategy. Turtling involves investing in defenses early, such as Towers as well as a small military force. The idea of the turtle is to protect your base while the aggressor clashes against your defenses to no avail. Thus, all of the resources the enemy spent on the rush are wasted, while you spent fewer resources protecting yourself, and now have the advantage. This also allows the turtler to attack later on outside of his base, as he/she doesn't need to fear being attacked while his army is elsewhere:.

Advantages:

The turtle makes your base safe and secure form attacks, allowing easier raiding and safer economic development. It also protects you from an early, aggressive rush.

Disadvantages:

The turtle can be expensive, and if your defenses are cracked, you're in a lot of trouble, as you have no defenses at all inside your base, leaving your economy exposed to the enemy. Protecting yourself inside your base is only good in the short term. Eventually you have to expand outside the safety of your base in order to get hold of gold deposits and more efficient food sources, or your enemy will take them all, leaving you at a significant economic disadvantage. This is also the case if your enemy doesn't attack at all and instead "booms", leaving you behind economically.

The Boom

The "boom" is the counter to the turtle. The idea is to spend very little only what is absolutely necessary defenses or military, and instead to focus solely on economy. While the enemy is spending resources on military, the boomer is much slower, spending resources on more villagers and improvements to the economy.
Booming permits faster production later on and a more steady military.
Booming is very vulnerable to a rush. It is cruical to know the right time when to stop booming and when to mass military.

Advantages:

The boomer develops a very strong economy. With slower military recruiting and more villagers, the economy grows nearly exponentially over that of a non-boomer.
If a boomer is left alone and allowed to boom, in the late game he will become unstoppable!

Disadvantages:

The approach leaves the boomer vulnerable to an early attack - a rush will destroy the boomer's strategy. With no military investment early on, the boomer is an easy target for annihilation.

How Maps Affect the Approach

Although all three strategies are possible in any game, some are more suited to a specific map type, especially the map size. For example, a turtle approach can be a good idea on maps where you can prevent the enemy from reaching your base.
A boom is a good idea on maps where you can protect yourself with a small amount of defences, and then spend other resources on your economy to bust out later.
On more open maps a rush is advisable, since the nature and size of the map makes it harder to wall in and easier to get to the enemy's base.
I think this applies very well to KaM too.

Of course you can mix these strategies: you can invest lightly in your defenses and then focus on a slower Boom, or you can rush with a small force mostly to explore and check the strength of the enemy defences.

Now, due to the game's nature the Boom is probably the most satisfying strategy for the player, as it allows you to enjoy the economic part of the game: you develop your town, you invest in it, you see it growing.

But peacetime outright killed the Rush in most cases; it is simply forbidden.
The most you can do is mass an army and attack as soon as the peacetime is over - which often is too late to stop a boomer.
(I thought this was good because there are no effective early defences, but as -if I recall correctly- Ben lampshaded, Towers in the Remake are way better and more effective against rushes than their "classic" counterparts, when built in your own town)

This makes the Turtle annoying for a large part of the game but in the end utterly ineffective.

What do you think?
Did peacetime break the balance and overpower the Boom or is it good that players are forbidden to Rush?

EDIT: P.S. I'm referring to games with more than 60 minutes of peacetime.
Last edited by Esthlos on 03 Feb 2014, 11:25, edited 1 time in total.
Just when you think you know something, you have to look at it in another way, even though it may seem silly or wrong. You must try! - John Keating, "Dead Poets Society"
<<

sado1

Council Member

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Post 02 Feb 2014, 12:02

Re: Peacetime and Strategies in the Remake

(Iron) Rush was still very popular at one point, after shield patch and stuff, it changed. Now the only way to rush is the horse rush - very easy to do, nice result on PT,, able to totally surprise the enemy very early on, nothing in base after PT though.

Boom doesn't make much sense nowadays. The only player I know that uses this tactic would be Jeronimo. The problem with boom is that both rusher and turtler are able to produce a better army than a boomer can, due to the nature of the game and especially maps (it's very easy to make more than enough towers, so when you're turtling, you're actually a mixture of boomer, rusher and turtler...). The only way that boom makes sense is when the team balance totally ignores the fact that someone can survive 30-60min after PT. Because, if you play against Jeronimo for minimum 2 hours, you know you will lose :P It is certainly a fun tactic to play though, seeing as you can just citybuild as much as you can. Unless you get raped on PT...
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 03 Feb 2014, 04:01

Haha, I've actually read this before on AoK Heaven ^^

Anyway, I disagree with you though. Even back in the good ol' days before PT was implemented, we still had a "gentlemen's agreement" on peacetime so I think this game inherently "needs" PT (more or less). Your saying that rushing after PT is often too late to stop a boomer is completely false, unless of course you are playing >60 minute PT, then obviously we know the problem is because of the massive building time.
I used to spam this forum so much...
<<

pawel95

Castle Guard Swordsman

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Post 03 Feb 2014, 08:49

Agree, the boom method doesn't work in normal 60 min Games, except for maps like bitd maybe, where the top right loc is really behind the front line and noone can attack that loc, before destroying at least one city on an other loc first. However that lategame strategy is very risky, because at pt your team has to "camp" as well or fight 4 vs 3,5 :P
<<

Esthlos

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 03 Feb 2014, 11:24

Anyway, I disagree with you though.
Surprising, isn't it? :P
Your saying that rushing after PT is often too late to stop a boomer is completely false, unless of course you are playing >60 minute PT, then obviously we know the problem is because of the massive building time.
Sorry, should have been more precise in the post... yes, I was thinking about games with more than 60 minutes of peacetime.

I wonder if building a few towers between your town's buildings would be an effective counter to early rushes...
Just when you think you know something, you have to look at it in another way, even though it may seem silly or wrong. You must try! - John Keating, "Dead Poets Society"
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 03 Feb 2014, 17:29

I wonder if building a few towers between your town's buildings would be an effective counter to early rushes...
If you plan out your city with holes in it to place towers, it can be a very nice way to surprise and cut down your enemy's army. You might even survive. However, you'll be making your town more spaced out than it needs to be (resulting in longer delivery times, more roads to build, more serfs and laborers to build those roads, maybe even another quarry needed). In addition, if the enemy is actually getting hit by those towers, he is in your base, killing your economy.

In 60 minutes, tower spam usually won't work. In 85 minute PT? Heck yeah. 25 minutes to do nothing but build towers can be deadly, I've learned from experience!
<<

dicsoupcan

Moorbach's Guard

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 03 Feb 2014, 17:49

If you plan out your city with holes in it to place towers, it can be a very nice way to surprise and cut down your enemy's army. You might even survive. However, you'll be making your town more spaced out than it needs to be (resulting in longer delivery times, more roads to build, more serfs and laborers to build those roads, maybe even another quarry needed). In addition, if the enemy is actually getting hit by those towers, he is in your base, killing your economy.

In 60 minutes, tower spam usually won't work. In 85 minute PT? Heck yeah. 25 minutes to do nothing but build towers can be deadly, I've learned from experience!
25 minuteS? make that 35 minutes..
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. ~ Winston Churchill
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 03 Feb 2014, 21:05

My bad. Pro mathematical skills there :P

Anyway, back to the topic ;)

Return to “Strategy Central”