MapMaking Tool: Wood creation

<<

Esthlos

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 17 Nov 2014, 16:12

MapMaking Tool: Wood creation

Hi!

With a little help from Lewin and a lot of help from Google, I've made this little tool that helps in the creation of woods.
I think it will be useful to me, and I'm uploading it here too in case someone else thinks it would be useful for him/her too.

It lets the user use Beacons to randomly add trees to an area.

How to use:
First of all, it needs a one-time setting up: just copy the folder CopyWood (it will be with a ReadMe.txt file and a PrintWood.script file, wherever you extracted the archive) in your KaM Remake folder; then, create a shortcut to the file CopyWood.bat inside of it, and place this shortcut somewhere handy.

Now, every time you want to create a large, randomized wood:
Attach the script PlantWoods.script to the map you want to edit (that is, copy the script in your map's folder and rename it, giving it the name NameOfTheMap'sFolder.script)
Start a game on that map.
Follow the on screen instructions.
Please note that you can save and load the game anytime you wish, at this point.

When you're satisfied with the result of the randomization, print the area. (Instructions are included in-game as overlay messages)
Then, run CopyWood.bat (or its shortcut) and wait.

After the pop-up saying it's done appears, you can now click "ok" and go back to the map editor, where you can simply Paste the area you created and selected.

Remember to remove the Wood creation script when you're done!

Please note that restarting KaM Remake before running CopyWood.bat or running it without having printed data in your last KaM Remake session will not work.

The file includes the portable versions of XVI32 Hex Editor (http://www.chmaas.handshake.de/delphi/f ... /xvi32.htm) and of Inside Clipboard (http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/inside_clipboard.html), and a .exe file made with AutoHotkey (http://www.autohotkey.com/)(the .exe file actually does nothing: I just needed something that could generate a "done!" pop-up).

WARNING: AS THE LOCATION OF THE SAVED TEXT FROM Actions.Log(); IS CHANGED, THIS TOOL NO LONGER WORKS DIRECTLY

P.S. This tool will create Trees even on water or on stone... but in my opinion it's a lot easier and better to have to remove a couple of extra trees now and then than to code this out. :P
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Esthlos on 10 Dec 2014, 09:59, edited 1 time in total.
Just when you think you know something, you have to look at it in another way, even though it may seem silly or wrong. You must try! - John Keating, "Dead Poets Society"
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 17 Nov 2014, 18:38

Re: MapMaking Tool: Wood creation

Can you make a video of this? It sounds interesting but I don't want to learn how to use it just to see that it isn't good (not that it is bad, but you know what I mean :P). Besides, having at least some pictures will spark interest in others, too.
I used to spam this forum so much...
<<

Esthlos

Knight

Post 17 Nov 2014, 20:50

Here you are.
First video ever, so it's better if you don't expect much... :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPazOlJgKYo
Just when you think you know something, you have to look at it in another way, even though it may seem silly or wrong. You must try! - John Keating, "Dead Poets Society"
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 19 Nov 2014, 21:33

It's an interesting tool that shows your creativity and scripting ability, but don't you think that it is a little too much work for so little gain? At the moment, the tree generation doesn't look so good. Better results could be done in much less time.

I'm wondering what you think of this tool. I've personally never found tree placing to be a tedious project requiring an object randomizer. Do you think that this tool can be expanded and be made more practical? What do you see for the future use of this in actual application?
I used to spam this forum so much...
<<

Esthlos

Knight

Post 20 Nov 2014, 00:37

I made it because I wanted to use it, and shared it in case someone else wants to use it too. Image

If you don't like it or don't want to use it, don't. You don't have to. :P

Return to “Dynamic Scripting”