Post 02 Mar 2012, 23:51

No eyes in their backs

Before the Remake was released, I was working on some kind of 'Super Mario' levels, where you have to dodge patrolling soldiers and things like that. At a certain point I made a situation like this:
  Code:
------------------- X X X X -------------------
The broken lines are the sides of mountains and every X is a soldier with his back to the mountain (so the two soldiers at the top are looking to the south, the two at the bottom are looking to the north). Now assume there is enough space to walk between them (3 tiles) so you won't engage a fight directly. If you'd try and run through it they would walk towards you and kill you.
Then I made them patrol by using TARGET 3 attacks. The soldiers would walk to the other mountain, and back, etc. After one short walk, the situation was like this:
  Code:
------------------- X X X X -------------------
Every soldier is now facing the mountains. When I tried to run through it, the soldiers didn't respond at all.

I discovered this a while ago (before the Remake was released as I said) so this applies to TPR. It's obviously not extremely useful to know, but don't you think it's nice that the developers had eye for details like this? It's quite realistic - they don't come after you if they don't see you. I was quite astounded when I found out it worked this way. Just wanted to share this with you. :)