Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

Need help with TCP/IP

<<

Cryo

Post 20 Feb 2011, 12:45

Need help with TCP/IP

Right, first of all, hello to everyone.
Having recently rediscovered one of my favourite games, I'd love to play it with my friend at my house.
I have a laptop and a PC, and I want to play a multiplayer game.
Now, I tried using TCP/IP, creating a game on the PC, then looking for it on the laptop, but having tried the modem's IP, the PC's, I still can't find the game.
Both the computers have the exact same version of K&M, TPR, v1.58 SR2.

Please help!
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Yahoo Messenger: lewinlewinhodgman

Post 20 Feb 2011, 21:00

Check the following things:
- All firewalls must be off on both computers. (including Windows Firewall) You could add an exception for KaM, but first try disabling it completely just to make sure this isn't the problem.
- Both computers must be on the same subnet. e.g. the IP of computer A should be something like 192.168.1.10 and the other computer 192.168.1.11. Only the last bit should be different. But if you are on a home network with a router/modem DHCP should assign the IP addresses correctly.
- Make sure you can ping between the computers. Click Start -> Run type CMD, type in the black window: ping <IP> It will tell you if it gets through or not. If it doesn't then there is a problem with your network, e.g. they are on different subnets, (see above) configured wrong or not physically connected.

Please note that KaM TPR is very buggy in mutliplayer. The game gets out of sync and different things happen on each computer. TSK is much better for multiplayer.
Let me know how it goes, I hope you get it working.
Lewin.
<<

Cryo

Post 21 Feb 2011, 12:37

Right, first of all, thank you, the firewall advice helped, and worked.

However, now, if I press the Create Game or Enter Game button, the game freezes, and has to be switched off with ctrl + alt + delete.
Any advice?

Also, you mentioned TSK. Is there a patch that fixes the slow mouse? Both my computers are Vista, and I'm using the TPR patch already, but if multiplayer on TSK is less glitchy, I'd be willing to try it.

Many thanks.
<<

Juba

Barbarian

Post 21 Feb 2011, 12:47

<<

Cryo

Post 21 Feb 2011, 14:10

Yeah, that's the patch I used for TPR, but when used on TSK the game starts, I get a black screen, and then it crashes.

Return to “General Talk”