Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

TPR won't launch on XP...

<<

MegaDanX

Laborer

Post 16 Feb 2011, 16:42

TPR won't launch on XP...

I couldn't find this anywhere else, so sorry if this is elsewhere.

Anyway, I went to GOG's website, I purchased, downloaded & installed KaM: TPR & it will not launch! Anyone have any clues as to why?

Here are my computer stats:

~Windows XP home edition
~Direct X 9.0c
~Intel Pentium 4 on a DELL Dimension 4600i
~ Intel(R) 82865 G Graphics Controller

If you need any other stats please let know!

This is the error I get:

"KM_TPR.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

When I look inside the error report, this is what the error signature says:

AppName: km_tpr.exe AppVer: 0.0.0.0 ModName: avifil32.dll
ModVer: 5.1.2600.5908 Offset: 00005d6a

Here is what I have done so far:

~Uninstalled the game + installer. Re-downloaded TPR using a diff way to download via GOG's downloader. then reinstalled TPR. That did not work.
~Uninstalled a 2nd time & reinstalled into C:/games - That didn't work.
~ Downloaded & installed the tpr_eng_16b7 patch & installed it into the same folder as the .exe file. Still not working. (Do I need to install it into the data folder?)
~Tried running it in compatibility mode for windows 98 & then Windows 95 - still nothing!
~ downloaded, unzipped, & installed the avifil32.dll file (I backed up the original and put it on my desktop) - No change
~I closed ALL other applications that were running - Still nothing. :(

Anyone have any ideas on how to get this working?

Also, I do have a KaM TSK demo installed on my computer, but in a different file folder. + I have a full version (I think it's a bootleg version) of KaM TSK. I think it might be bootleg cuz it has no music when I play the game. This is also in a different file folder than my purchased KaM TPR game. Could these be causing any interference @ all??
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 17 Feb 2011, 05:00

(I think it's a bootleg version)
Sounds like Hotgames or something. I happened to be one of the people who bought one of those copies of the game. I agree with you, though, I think it isn't exactly 100% legal. I don't feel bad, though, because I do have a (now broken) offical copy of the game.

Anyway as to your problem, it sounds like my old crashes when I ran on XP. Normally I was able to play for a few minutes before the game crashed, but you seem to have a greater problem. Have you tried installing the SR3 patch? I highly recommend you do. It can be ofund on the forum....
If that doesn't work you could try the ddraw download. It is supposed to fix the slow, laggy gameplay and color messup in windows vista and 7, but I noticed that 7 stopped crasheing when ddraw was added.
Those are all gusses. I hope they work. If not, then perhaps Lewin (who will likly post something here) will be able to help you.
I used to spam this forum so much...
<<

MegaDanX

Laborer

Post 17 Feb 2011, 10:39

Yes, I tried the SR 3 patch. Still no success. Where can I find the ddraw download? Thanks for the suggestions, btw!
<<

Litude

King Karolus

Post 18 Feb 2011, 19:27

I think you might be able to play the game if you go to the data\gfx folder and then rename the video folder into something else, e.g. backup. This should skip the movies and prevent the crashing problem from happening.

There's also this fix available that supposedly fixes some problem regarding to crashes when playing the game videos. I have no idea if it will remedy your problem, but trying can't hurt. Just double-click the .reg file and when it asks you if you want to modify your registry click yes.

The DDRAW fix is included with the TPR version purchased from GOG.com so you don't need to install it separately.
<<

MegaDanX

Laborer

Post 18 Feb 2011, 21:53

Litude! You're a GENIOUS!! I ran that .reg file fix & now it works! Well, I tried for only a few seconds since I'm really busy today. But, it launched! That's the 1st time it was able to do that!! I started a new campaign in TPR levels & I got all videos (I think) + was able to play! AWESOMENESS! Thanks Litude!!

Return to “General Talk”