Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

Graphics Editor

<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 09 Oct 2009, 22:10

Graphics Editor

How do I replace images in the graphics editor? Like lets say I wanted to change the color of the swordfighters sword, how do I change all of the sword fighter images? Thanks in advance.

P.S if you don't understand me feel free to leave a step-by-step tutorial if you wish :)
I used to spam this forum so much...
<<

harold

Knight

Post 09 Oct 2009, 23:43

You mean mine? Could've just dropped me an email
Right click the thumbnail and click "Replace", then browse for the new image, optionally change the x/y offsets, save.
At least, I think so. It's rather late here ..
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 10 Oct 2009, 03:08

Ah you made it. I didn't feel like checking :wink: I had to leave home anyway, but thanks I will give it a try, should work!

EDIT:

Ah sorry it doesn't work :( What I did was repalce the watchtower we all know and love with an older version of it. Is there maore to it? I thought that once it was done being built as the new version it would change to the old one I changed it to but I guess not. The game shut off. Also, is the thumb nail supposed to change appearence when you replace it?
<<

harold

Knight

Post 10 Oct 2009, 11:12

Crash :?
Ok I didn't see that coming..

Sometimes the thumbnail does not update when you change the picture, but the picture you see in the right pane should change

There shouldn't be more to it, though. There is already an "alt turm" patch going around with the old tower, and of course the "blue iron mine" patch..

Did you accidentally have a white background or something like that?
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 10 Oct 2009, 16:47

Did you accidentally have a white background or something like that?
White background? I have the picture from the KaM fan site. I would psot it if I knew how to place images, could you tell me how?

P.S how do I get rid of the background?[/img]
<<

harold

Knight

Post 10 Oct 2009, 16:57

Upload the image somewhere, like imageshack.us, and then place the link between the img tags
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 10 Oct 2009, 17:07

There. This is the tower. Is there something that should be changed to the image before I add it to the game?
<<

harold

Knight

Post 10 Oct 2009, 17:26

It doesn't have a shadow, but I would be surprised if that would cause a crash..

You would have to change the x/y offsets though, the original image doesn't have the pole included (it's added on with the flag) so especially the Y offset would have changed (though I wouldn't have thought that would cause a crash either)
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 10 Oct 2009, 18:09

Hmm X/Y offsets...don't know how they work. What are they exactly? Also, do you know what they should be changed to for this image?
Is it also possible to amke a shadow?
<<

harold

Knight

Post 10 Oct 2009, 18:13

The offsets are a point relative to the left top of the picture that gives a reference point, it is used to be able to have buildings of different heights and to avoid having to store empty rows of pixels as "filler" that have to be there just to keep "the middle" of a sprite the same all through an animation.
I don't know what the exact values should be, but the Y should be higher than in the original.
Shadow is easy to add, just draw a grid pattern of black pixels that has approximately the shape that you would expect from a tower like that (just look at other buildings for examples)
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 10 Oct 2009, 18:32

Thanks for the tip with shadows. I just copied the shadow from the tower that is from the game :wink: It works perfectly :D THe image that is. The game still crashes. (I changed the X/Y offsets to number of pixels)
<<

harold

Knight

Post 10 Oct 2009, 18:47

Are you really sure it's the new graphics file that crashes the game? It just seems really odd (lots of people have changed graphics with that editor..)
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 10 Oct 2009, 22:56

Well I can't imagin what else it could be. I make backups before I change the house rile, and when I change it, the game crashes (starting a game). I can't do anything till I install the old file, then the game works. I'm sure it's not your editor, I'm probably doing something wrong....btw your editor still isn't showing the new icon for the watch tower. Is there something else I should be doing? Also another curious thing is that once I save the house file and exit your editor, I can't load it back up or it will crash...
<<

harold

Knight

Post 10 Oct 2009, 23:23

:?
Could you send me the file please?
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 11 Oct 2009, 00:21

How do I send files on the forum? Or can I e-mail you? (Please excuse my ignorence about using forums.)

Return to “General Talk”