New Here and A Question, Of Course

<<

Uncle Al

Serf

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 03 Aug 2017, 04:11

New Here and A Question, Of Course

Hello:

I owned the original K & M game with the CD. Still have the 72 page manual that came with it. A few months ago while cleaning out a drawer I found the manual, and ended up finding the game at GOG.com "on sale" for $1.99 download. So I did.

Now, I have a problem and , GOG has nothing posted on my issue, as I do not use an ATI card , I don't think.

I HONESTLY know very little about computers today. I am 64 years old and was very comfortable with DOS games and Pc's.

Anyway, when I get to mission #11, about 2 3/4 hours into the mission, naturally, the game crashes and closes. Does it repeatedly, every darn time. It says" KM_TPR. EXE has encountered difficulties and needs to close."
Even though I have the first 2 hours and 47 minutes saved NOW, it is of no use if I cannot play through this "issue".
Does anyone here have any similar experience, and/or suggestion on what I can do?

AS I noted, I am hardly a Whiz on current PC's, but if there is ANY other way I can return a favor, I will. Not sure how many other 60+ folks are here, but there are some of us that still enjoy our PC games.

Best Regards,
Uncle Al
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 03 Aug 2017, 04:26

Re: New Here and A Question, Of Course

Hi Uncle Al. I'm glad you've found us. There is still a fire for KaM players online. Also, my Grandpa is quite a bit older than you and still enjoys this game so you still have plenty of gaming years left in you ;)

Anyway, for your actual issue. My go to response is always to download the remake for this game and play that instead. The original game is very buggy, and you will have crashed from time to time. The remake will "fix" all the crashes and bugs that the original has while also adding more game opertunities. However, I understand that not everyone wants to play the remake. Some are set in their ways I guess :) if you do wish to download the remake, let me know and I will walk you through it.

If you want to continue playing the original, please download the "SR 3" patch for the game. It can be found on the forum here: http://www.knightsandmerchants.net/foru ... f=8&t=1647
Scroll down to the bottom of that really long post and you will found download links. Make sure you download the language that matches your game. The installation is rather simple and will fix some crashes and bugs.

You say you aren't a computer expert, but I can't really know for sure what you can do yourself and what you will need help with. If there is anything I said that isn't clear or you need more guidance, I am happy to help.

Ben

P.s., I'm on mobile. Forgive the inevitable typos in this post.
I used to spam this forum so much...
<<

zombie01

Pikeman

Post 06 Aug 2017, 22:59

Hello:

I owned the original K & M game with the CD. Still have the 72 page manual that came with it. A few months ago while cleaning out a drawer I found the manual, and ended up finding the game at GOG.com "on sale" for $1.99 download. So I did.

Now, I have a problem and , GOG has nothing posted on my issue, as I do not use an ATI card , I don't think.

I HONESTLY know very little about computers today. I am 64 years old and was very comfortable with DOS games and Pc's.

Anyway, when I get to mission #11, about 2 3/4 hours into the mission, naturally, the game crashes and closes. Does it repeatedly, every darn time. It says" KM_TPR. EXE has encountered difficulties and needs to close."
Even though I have the first 2 hours and 47 minutes saved NOW, it is of no use if I cannot play through this "issue".
Does anyone here have any similar experience, and/or suggestion on what I can do?

AS I noted, I am hardly a Whiz on current PC's, but if there is ANY other way I can return a favor, I will. Not sure how many other 60+ folks are here, but there are some of us that still enjoy our PC games.

Best Regards,
Uncle Al
http://www.kamremake.com/download/

it's what these guys made, complete remake, as close to original as possible, but in good resolution and bug free, with a multiplayer that is still played by plenty
<<

Uncle Al

Serf

Post 08 Aug 2017, 00:25

Hey Guys:
Thanks much for the helpful AND Friendly postings! I don't get out much, and never know how an old fart like myself will be received.

I have ALWAYS thought this game was head & shoulders above anything else I had played over the years. Having to build up the economic structure to support the war machine puts it light years ahead of most "bang bang shoot 'em up" games. And the couple of games I have seen online and tried were money traps!! You had to buy this & that to be competitive, then when you did pay up, there was a faction that would flame you for buying your skill rather than earning it. Sheesh! I was looking for a little gaming fun, not get involved in a 21st century economic war.

Anyway, I am very happy to see so many still like this game. One would think if there are this many folks hunting down game information, etc. after so many years, some enterprising company would want to bring out a current version. It could be the hula hoop of computer games. Heh.

Again, thanks so very much for the kind posts. I sure hope I have the opportunity to do you a favor sometime.

Best,
Al
<<

cmowla

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Expert

Post 08 Aug 2017, 01:25

I have ALWAYS thought this game was head & shoulders above anything else I had played over the years.
From the games I have seen, I have to say that I agree. In fact, a guy I know who is fresh out of industrial engineering graduate school was amazed to learn of the demand of logic, planning, and complexity of this game!
Anyway, I am very happy to see so many still like this game.
KaM never gets old.
One would think if there are this many folks hunting down game information, etc. after so many years, some enterprising company would want to bring out a current version.
I agree. This video on the history of Knights and Merchants made me wonder why other companies didn't try to do something similar, recognizing the success of the game, despite the misfortune of the original programmers.

Now, as zombie01 mentioned in his post, a remake of this game was released several years ago, and I think one of its many advantages over playing the original game is that it automatically records your play (not to mention that it gives you more control over your troops, more villager intelligence, etc.). A priceless feature, indeed. (Although the replay writer is bugged, and thus sometimes "part of the show is cut-off" and is unrecoverable.) One trade-off for playing the remake instead of the original game is that the AI behaves differently than the original, but it "technically" can be scripted to behave anyway one would like.

Just to illustrate the replay feature, the increased ability to control your troops, the remake's AI behavior, and to simply offer you some free entertainment, I will point you to my 4 minutes and 28 second win of The Shattered Kingdom Mission 20 (TSK 20). It's probably been a while since you have seen the map, but I thought you might think it's interesting to see how I used the landscape (among other things) to achieve the feat.
Replay and Explanation (With Music)
OR
Replay Only (Without Music, but with Extra Sound Effects)
Invasion won: with 0 losses and without save reloads|TSK 20 in 4.47 minutes|Border of Life Co-op Won in 1h33m55s|The Official KaM Speedrun Page
What makes me an Expert isn't my skill in of itself but my desire to win big.
<<

Uncle Al

Serf

Post 19 Sep 2017, 21:16

THanks for the great post, CM.
Appreciate the info and love the enthusiasm for this classic!

Al

Return to “General Talk”