Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

Competative gaming in KaM

<<

Esthlos

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 11 Mar 2015, 09:00

Re: Competative gaming in KaM

Secondly... When there are many players (niche or not) you would think there will be tons of different strategies.
But in KaM that is not happening. It personally dissapoints me that there is no other "lategamer" in whole TS (where is supposed to have the most competitive guys).
I agree strongly on this.

I think that this is to be blamed at least partially on Peacetime... with Peacetime
  • You can't rush (I know, Peacetime was implemented exactly for this, but I now think that the improvements that the Tower received make it way better at defending against a rush... I've tried, and a Tower in the middle of your town is very effective against small melee armies)
  • You can't try to infiltrate and disturb the enemy: usually the bases' access points are few and not very large, and after Peacetime they will easily be already defended enough to make infiltrating near impossible... and it wouldn't matter anyway, as the potentially done damage is too low compared to how easy it is to notice and dispose of the infiltrator
  • You can't harass the enemy's resources: they are right near his/her base, and after peacetime it won't matter anyway
Also, one can't even set up traps and ambushes, because exploring once is enough to permanently see any movement in the area

Really, "open field battles" isn't the best way... it's just the only way to go. :(

Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel that in KaM you just can't get creative. :(

P.S. I still support adding this to the game: http://www.knightsandmerchants.net/foru ... =24&t=2123
Just when you think you know something, you have to look at it in another way, even though it may seem silly or wrong. You must try! - John Keating, "Dead Poets Society"
<<

LadyPauline

Queen of the Iron Age

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 11 Mar 2015, 10:07

You want something like 'fog' in other strategic games? If I understood well... Don't know if it's possible, but right, it should be nice and usefull. It can change all the game, the point of view.

The same with the 'units mix' idea. It is a good idea, BUT :D There is always but...
Original K&M after the changes like this will be forgotten game, you know what i'm talking about. Someone want to play remake of K&M but he can see extreamly other game in ALL SENSES. Only Grafic the same, and maybe build system, that's all. And that person think then 'what the heck! that's not the game I am looking for'. K&M cannot be forgotten and changed in THAT way.

Of course, ideas could work, but the mechanics will be changed also. For example i think about Defendig Formation with Swordmans in the first rank and the pikes in the second, or x-bow in the second. If you want to have sense and REALITY in this game it should work like 'range-pikes' I mean pikeman can atack when he have one man before him, this sworeman. Its a battle formation known from history, and it works just like that. But this is just insane... no longer the same game. Just rubbish. Of course it is just my opinion. Please don't judge me or yell at me. We all have Opinions. Not the only Right.

You know, all of this changes in new patches, realases are fine. People like it becouse they are Functional. It's a real aid. But we never doing something like changing the core of All Game.
<<

Esthlos

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 11 Mar 2015, 10:55

You want something like 'fog' in other strategic games? If I understood well... Don't know if it's possible, but right, it should be nice and usefull. It can change all the game, the point of view.
No, I do not want fog of war in default KaM Remake.
It wouldn't fit KaM (you're right on that) and would probably have a performance problem.

I was just noting another element that makes possible strategies limited in number.
Just when you think you know something, you have to look at it in another way, even though it may seem silly or wrong. You must try! - John Keating, "Dead Poets Society"

Return to “General Talk”