Competative gaming in KaM

<<

Killer!!

Sword Fighter

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Post 20 Jan 2015, 19:42

Competative gaming in KaM

Hey all,

I just went through some topics and I saw someone (I'm not sure but I think it was Ben if I remember correctly) who said in the topic about the S&M clan that there is (almost) no competative gaming anymore in KaM games and/or in clans.

Could someone explain me, why in the past there were quite a lot of competative games and tournaments and now not anymore?

I find it personally very sad :(, I think that gaming competatively is something what could make this game more interesting.
(maybe it's only me, but that's why i am making this topic :P)

Now all the games we play is starting and ending without any "reason for winning".
Ofc you always want to win a game, but don't you think KaM would be more fun to play if we would make it more compatative again?

I am just asking :), why the competative games/ tournaments are gone and if you think the game would be nicer if it becomes back as it was? :D

Killer!!
Do you want to play with/against me? Just write me a PM :D
<<

LadyPauline

Queen of the Iron Age

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 21 Jan 2015, 22:03

Re: Competative gaming in KaM

Hello Killer, I thought about what you say and I have some thoughts.
First thing, game isn't fresh anymore (Means Remake,we all know the KaM original is just OLD) and people with time lose that passion to compete.

Mechanics of the game is difficult to organize tournaments, it's not mmo, we as the members of community are few. 8-10 players in tournament is big achievement.

Second thing, the clans... Yess this is really something we can talk much. My mind tells me.. we have no motivation to play against us/others. No points, no achievements, no fighting for anything. If we have clans, then we should treat them as some kind of home to defend. Patriots want to have the best country, the best soldiers, generals, achievements. Something like Slytherin, Ravenclaw, Gryffindor and Hufflepuff (I know I'm a bit maniacal with HP last time)Four strong groups which fight all the time to be the best in ladder at the final end!

What do we have, million of clans which are nothing more than team speak link in these days. I see the internal games but rarely clan against clan.

It's just the play for play and i understand that and enjoy really. I don't need competition to be pleased with you all.
I can be totaly wrong in this matter, that's just what i think about that case.
I heared rumors about some kind of ladder, i don't know if it's actual still but if it is then it should include MORE CLAN WARS if you want 'real' hostility.
And something like challenges you can organize.
I encourage you to comment and discuss further becouse it's a good topic i think.
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 21 Jan 2015, 23:59

Why are we not competitive? Well we need more-- how shall I say this-- uh, jocks perhaps. Guys who are super cocky, always saying they are the best, and completely selfish seem to help fuel a competitive spirit. Well at least that's how it has been around here. Unfortunately these guys bring other problems with them....
I used to spam this forum so much...
<<

Killer!!

Sword Fighter

Post 22 Jan 2015, 09:11

@LadyPauline I think i agree with your post in some cases like you said there aren't to many players active these days on TS atleast, but remember that 1-2 years ago when KaM was a bit more competative there were a lot less players then now.
I think it's indeed nice to play games for fun, but I (maybe its only me) am missing a competativithy in this game maybe because i am a competative sporter irl :p
<<

Killer!!

Sword Fighter

Post 22 Jan 2015, 09:16

I was just thinking about stating a tournament muself, it would be a 1v1 tournament problably because as you guys said there aren't alot of players who have confidence in tournaments, so i will take and make alot of time for organise this problably when I am less bussy at school.
Maybe even only let players particip in the tournament if they have TS, so there will be problably more people who will join our TS server ;).
But again i will think of this idea when i have alot of time to organise it properly ;)
<<

dicsoupcan

Moorbach's Guard

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 22 Jan 2015, 14:27

I was just thinking about stating a tournament muself, it would be a 1v1 tournament problably because as you guys said there aren't alot of players who have confidence in tournaments, so i will take and make alot of time for organise this problably when I am less bussy at school.
Maybe even only let players particip in the tournament if they have TS, so there will be problably more people who will join our TS server ;).
But again i will think of this idea when i have alot of time to organise it properly ;)
just one tip if you want to organize a tournament: make clear rules and what is also important do not participate yourself so you can be an independent judge and have time to focus on organization.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. ~ Winston Churchill
<<

Killer!!

Sword Fighter

Post 22 Jan 2015, 15:07

@dicsoupcan As I said, I will if I am really going to organise this tournament do it when i will have a lot of time for the organisation, a good post on the forum, rules and all other stuff which is needed for a serious tournament ;)
So i won't post anything what won't be clear or not complete things about the tournament, I will surely put a lot of time and afford in it :D

Last thing is a question, why would I not be able to play in the tournament myself? I think that won't be a to big of a deal if I just make good clear rules before the tournament even starts that I could particip also ;) (it's one of the reason's i want to have a tournament :P So I am able to play competative aswell :P).
If there would really be a big problem in the tournament, I think I and some other "juges" who will problably be there could solve them fairly :)

Ofc if you don't agree dicso, or others just say it! But explain me why, because I think it won't be a to big deal :)
(I think some other "tournament organisators" played in there tournament aswell ;))

Killer!! :D
<<

petarda

Post 10 Mar 2015, 13:32

well i think there isnt any compet... because kam players are divided into 2 sets that TS group and normal players.
back in the day when every1 played 60 pt on 1 speed there was more competition than today, people who play CR on large speed and pt are still competative but as for TS group goes every1 who decides to play 60 pt with 1 speed does so to join TS
comunity not to compete them i think if there would be only 1 possible setting people would be more competative :lol:
<<

firefighter

Serf

KaM Skill Level: Average

Post 10 Mar 2015, 15:10

I will tell you all how it looks like from my point of view. I have played remake for approximately 2 years and in this 2 years I started playing serious games like few days ago. Of course there aren't tournaments because game and people doesn't allow us to make it competitive ... Like petarda there are two groups in kam, one is ts community, second is only ingame remake community and third improvements (smth lika ingame friends list, main lobby with online players. Of course I realize it is time consuming but that is how I see). From normal player perspective it looks like that ts people don't want to allow to play with them. Also other barrier is I can be wrong that KaM Remake as a game should have somekind of sponsorship I know it sounds a bit difficult to make it but that is true. Game is expanding fast so in future should be organized somekind of LAN tournament or something which can make it more competitive. That would be a great idea and opportunity to expand amount of players if there was something because that could encourage others to improve their skills and spreading the information that there is a game where you can win real money. You think why so many is playing counter-strike or sc2 I know that these titles are most recognized but I am giving examples of games which have players, because they are made to be competitive so why we couldn't try make KaM too ? I can bet that many of them is thinking about money prizes which are encouraging to play ! Last thing is that game without $$ in it never gonna be a competitive.
<<

sado1

Council Member

Post 10 Mar 2015, 16:01

The game is too small. My tournament had 28 teams with practically only TS people, which gives us 56 people already (current Siem's one is similar size - 24). Not everyone played in the tournament tho; also there's the RA group, while hardly anyone notices that nowadays, seems to be quite big. I roughly estimate around 100 people that play x1 speed on a regular basis. There might be around 50 people that were on TS before, but they left KaM (Pizza, Florek, Fried Chicken, Mixons, etc.) Some people moved to randoms - firefighter might be one of them actually, since I didn't see him for a while there.

Then we have the public group ("randoms"). No idea how to estimate that one, but it's noticeably bigger than TeamSpeak, there'a a lot of games played there. Yesterday there was 165 players playing at the peak moment (even if ~10-20 of them might've been the TS ones), which gives a hint on size of the community.

The problem is, the only players that are willing to put their time and heart into making a tournament properly, come from TS. Why so? If you want to get more involved into the game, you look for better players, forums, voice chat etc. You get to play x1, you become a convert and you refuse to play x2/3 again. The problem is, neither randoms will never get civilised enough to make good tournaments (since if you start discovering pro players, you're likely to become one), nor the TS community will ever grow again I guess (since randoms don't want to give their time for playing such long games, and therefore they'll never notice a difference the x1 speed gives). The game is doomed. xD
<<

Nibo The Destroyer

Barbarian

Post 10 Mar 2015, 19:02

There are a million reasons why there isnt much competitive gaming..

- Game is not really new anymore.
- The time u have to put into 1 reasonable game is pretty long compared to peoples deman these days. People want quick and fast games. (just a development of the world i guess these days)

- Time settings has made fun/troll games much more attractive then 60 min concentration and skill (for many people)
- Many players dont stick around for years (i too had some breaks in between of 6-12 months)

I think one of the most important things to get a stable community with competitive players is to get registered accounts... (i dont want to light up the discussion cuz i know its not realistic any time soon)
But then u can register your Name (what i think is fairly important because TROLLS), k/d ratio, eco stats and all the other stats..
Then add to the website some social features (list of clans, clanranking, individual ranking and so on there could be multiple sorts of rankings with different #1 players).

Untill we get to that point the only people who play are the people who love the game, friends of people who love the game and now and then the occasionally player that by coincidence finds the game on the internet.

Ofcourse this is all just a dream.. More players = more competition, but to find them costs money... so its kinda unreachable i believe...

Damn.. i could continue this for another 10 pages... Maybe i should check out the Kam ts some day too :)
Et ego vici
<<

Nibo The Destroyer

Barbarian

Post 10 Mar 2015, 19:06

The game is too small. My tournament had 28 teams with practically only TS people, which gives us 56 people already (current Siem's one is similar size - 24). Not everyone played in the tournament tho; also there's the RA group, while hardly anyone notices that nowadays, seems to be quite big. I roughly estimate around 100 people that play x1 speed on a regular basis. There might be around 50 people that were on TS before, but they left KaM (Pizza, Florek, Fried Chicken, Mixons, etc.) Some people moved to randoms - firefighter might be one of them actually, since I didn't see him for a while there.

ive noticed that there are also a lot of players who just basically dont talk to people from other countries.. Maybe becaue of the language barrier/different time zones or something i dont know..

For example those RA guys, pretty much all russian right? Ive never seen them speak in a lobbie or anything..
CN guys also pretty much live in their own little online world in asia...
Et ego vici
<<

Vatrix

Council Member

KaM Skill Level: Veteran

Post 10 Mar 2015, 19:09

ive noticed that there are also a lot of players who just basically dont talk to people from other countries.. Maybe becaue of the language barrier/different time zones or something i dont know..
You're lucky you have me - the most communicative player ever seen!
I fixed The Shattered Kingdom and The Peasants Rebellion here!
<<

Nibo The Destroyer

Barbarian

Post 10 Mar 2015, 19:10

thnx man... I thought the world was doomed:P

Now we can live happily ever after!
Et ego vici
<<

Jeronimo

Knight

Post 10 Mar 2015, 20:33

The game is dying because doesn't have enough kawaii aesthetics.
All soldiers should look chubby and with big eyes to attract thousands of players around the globe.
:P

We can't blame CN or RA clans. They are in their niches but they at least keep playing KaM, which is more important.
There is also lack of attitude -> Players that are comfortable in their niches, and don't dream of meeting stronger players.

Secondly... When there are many players (niche or not) you would think there will be tons of different strategies.
But in KaM that is not happening. It personally dissapoints me that there is no other "lategamer" in whole TS (where is supposed to have the most competitive guys).

Being a lategamer is actually seen as "a peculiar individual style", while in my eyes that shoud be the "common style", since a good competitive player should be able to keep building (on short passive moments) and alternately fight battles.

So in a whole, you have those random that don't dream of meeting stronger players AND you have those TS players that don't dream of being more efficient in their multitasking / don't have an after-PT build plan.

All together makes the game to get stucked and die slowly (lack of commitment and innovation).
Last edited by Jeronimo on 10 Mar 2015, 20:38, edited 3 times in total.
KaM Skill Level: Jeronimo

Return to “General Talk”