Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

Proper KaM: TSK Framerate

<<

MrMateczko

Post 21 May 2014, 16:51

Proper KaM: TSK Framerate

I want the game to play just as it did in 1997, or more precisely, 2002-3, when we played it originally on my 533Mhz Penium III.
This game has a lot of nostalgia value for me and my family. And they don't know about TPR or Remake, and any additions they bring (fish, OP ballista, storehouse, etc.),
I just want the original game, no other version.
I'm running it currently on my laptop and Win98 machine with 3.0GHz processor, with generic VBEMP graphic driver.
Both have the same problem, too much FPS - crazy scrolling.
I can lower FPS with RivaTuner Statistic Server. (part of MSI Afterburder)

But here's the problem, what's the original KAM: TSK framerate? 30FPS? 45FPS? 60FPS?
Also, does playing with higher or lower FPS increase/decrease the Completion Time in end mission statistic?
<<

Michalpl

Sword Fighter

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 21 May 2014, 17:10

Re: Proper KaM: TSK Framerate

idk i guess 30 fps is good
<<

MrMateczko

Post 21 May 2014, 17:47

I played with 30FPS before, but for me the game was kinda slow. Now I don't know if it's supposed to be that slow or not.
<<

Michalpl

Sword Fighter

Post 21 May 2014, 18:20

if that was slow try 60 fps
<<

MrMateczko

Post 21 May 2014, 18:31

This works somewhat better, but this still doesn't answer, if this cheats the Completion Time in statistics, or does it cheat the game engine as well?
Certain games, like GTA III/VC/SA depends on having a steady frame limiter in order for the game engine to work properly. I just want to know if the same applies to the KaM: TSK.
<<

Michalpl

Sword Fighter

Post 21 May 2014, 18:37

For best results use virtual machine with windows 98 2000 or xp
it doesn't cheat the game engine however if you make game faster than 60fps AI attack should appear faster than normaly
<<

MrMateczko

Post 21 May 2014, 18:41

I tired virtual Windows 98 before, same problem, amongst others, like mouse bug.
I'll try 2000 or XP however, mayby even on the 3.0Ghz machine, as Win7 screws this game pretty bad.
<<

Michalpl

Sword Fighter

Post 21 May 2014, 18:52

Two options:
Play tsk campaign on KAM TRP (With it you could play it even on windows 7 with mouse fix) Don't play it since it randomly crashes while play campaign

Best solution Play tsk campaign on KAM Remake (You need KAM TPR to install it)
if you don't have KAM TRP buy it at gog.com link http://www.gog.com/game/knights_and_mer ... 38107a1f1b
Download if you have already KAM TPR link http://www.kamremake.com/download
<<

MrMateczko

Post 21 May 2014, 19:22

I don't want Remake or TPR.
The mouse fix was specific to the virtual machine, not real PC, so just ignore that.
Remake introduced fish, and I've heard still doesn't have the proper AI as TSK, if they work on it enough, so that I won;t be able to tell the difference between TSK and Remake, I would play the Remake, but not for now.
Maybe an option to play the TSK campaign with new stuff from TPR or not?
<<

Michalpl

Sword Fighter

Post 21 May 2014, 19:32

MrMateczko new things in the tsk aren't allowed like balista or town hall remake too
<<

MrMateczko

Post 21 May 2014, 19:56

Still doesn't fix the AI problem.
Can we get back into topic and tell the right FPS?
It's the only thing important for me.
<<

Michalpl

Sword Fighter

Post 21 May 2014, 19:59

I think 60 fps most game preffer
<<

Tiank

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Post 21 May 2014, 20:40

MrMateczko, I think the answer you're looking for is here and here. With fixes you can play original KaM on Win7 (I can play it on Win7). Windows 7 fix deals with mouse troubles as well. Try it and let us know how it worked :).

Michalpl, if you don't know correct answer, please don't reply. Lewin or Krom should know the right FPS amount in original KaM.
Without honour, victory is hollow.
<<

MrMateczko

Post 21 May 2014, 21:05

I DO have this fix.
It doesn't fix the super fast scrolling, that's the main grips I can fix with limiting FPS, but I need the right amount.
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Yahoo Messenger: lewinlewinhodgman

Post 21 May 2014, 21:47

The original game's framerate is 10 FPS. That's the framerate of all of the animations in KaM (including KaM Remake). The main reason KaM Remake feels so much smoother than the original game is scrolling around the map happens at whatever FPS you want, and the animations will also have higher FPS if you change the game speed.

However, artificially limiting it to 10 FPS might not give the desired affect, it could slow down game updates.

The AI in the Remake is not so bad really. Occasionally they don't attack when they are meant to (or attack too early) but that's about the only problem. There are so many gameplay improvements like troop moving/rearranging (don't just blindly do what the leader does), delivery/construction jobs being assigned more efficiently, units passing each other more efficiently, etc. And there's non-gameplay improvements like zooming, not being forced to use 1024x768, naming/unlimited saved games, CTRL groups, etc. Not to mention that the KaM Remake crashes a lot less than the original game.

You will always be able to tell the difference between the original game and the Remake because we're always improving it, and the original game stays stuck where it was in 1998.

Return to “General Talk”