Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

Disable status

<<

WhiteWolf

Warrior

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 11 Jul 2013, 11:37

Disable status

How can I disable my status, I mean everyone can see when i'm online and I don't want anyone to think that i'm addicted because i'm online all day~
There is no such thing as innocence only degrees of guilt.
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 11 Jul 2013, 14:08

Re: Disable status

On the forum? Log out, then go back to the login screen. There will be a checkbox that says "hide my online status this time."
I used to spam this forum so much...
<<

WhiteWolf

Warrior

Post 11 Jul 2013, 14:46

<<

T*AnTi-V!RuZz

Former Site Admin

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 15 Jul 2013, 18:52

Wait.. Is that possible?

Normal users shouldn't be able to hide their online status.
<<

Shadaoe

Knight

Post 15 Jul 2013, 18:55

I think it's great to have this feature available for people who want. (and AFAIK it's available for normal users on most of phpBB forums)
<<

T*AnTi-V!RuZz

Former Site Admin

Post 15 Jul 2013, 19:10

I can't imagine normal users having anything to hide..
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 15 Jul 2013, 20:02

They might just not want people to know that they are online. I can't see how that would be different than it would be with "nonnormal" users.
<<

T*AnTi-V!RuZz

Former Site Admin

Post 15 Jul 2013, 20:06

They might just not want people to know that they are online. I can't see how that would be different than it would be with "nonnormal" users.
Which means they have something to hide.. :P

I've never really understood the functionality, except for crew who get spammed with PM's.

Moved to General Talk, since it's not KaM Remake related.
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 15 Jul 2013, 20:11

I've never really understood the functionality, except for crew who get spammed with PM's.
Ahhh, I now understand what you mean. This could also be true for normal users though. Take Krom, for example. He is not a (global, anyway) moderator, but he is working on the Remake. I can imagine that he may not want to be bothered if he is just reading the forum for a quick minute.

Or maybe you are in a hurry and want to just check one thing and then be right back. It could be annoying if someone said "hello" in the mini chat to you, yes? Just like with Facebook and the stupid instant messenger. :P
<<

T*AnTi-V!RuZz

Former Site Admin

Post 15 Jul 2013, 20:14

Ahhh, I now understand what you mean. This could also be true for normal users though. Take Krom, for example. He is not a (global, anyway) moderator, but he is working on the Remake. I can imagine that he may not want to be bothered if he is just reading the forum for a quick minute.

Or maybe you are in a hurry and want to just check one thing and then be right back. It could be annoying if someone said "hello" in the mini chat to you, yes? Just like with Facebook and the stupid instant messenger. :P
The first one is a very good point, hadn't thought of that. Second isn't really applicable since we don't have a DM system..
(But maybe you meant the mini-chat on the Forum Index page.)

Anyway, since this has really reaaaally low priority, I don't think this will change soon (or even ever, for that matter).
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 15 Jul 2013, 20:19

My question is, "What would a user want to hide?" :P

Not saying I disagree with you. Though this feature does have uses, they are very few, and not important.
<<

Litude

King Karolus

Post 15 Jul 2013, 20:33

The capability to hide ones online status is pretty common throughout forum software. I can't see why someone shouldn't be allowed to hide their online status if they want to do so.
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Yahoo Messenger: lewinlewinhodgman

Post 16 Jul 2013, 00:14

Wait.. Is that possible?

I disagree. It's only hidden from other users anyway, admins (and moderators?) have direct access to the login records. I can see many reasons why normal users might use it, if you have a PM you don't want to answer just yet and don't want the sender to see you've been online (whether or not you get lots of PMs is irrelevant, there are times when you don't want to answer even just one PM). Or maybe you've told people (on TeamSpeak or Skype) that you have to go, but actually you just want to leave the conversation or do your own thing (without sounding rude), and you don't want those people to see that you are still online on the forum. And I'm sure there are other reasons too, they're just the ones I could think of off the top of my head (and they apply to me).

Why should we try to control people so much? If somebody doesn't want other users to know they are online, that's their choice. Saying people shouldn't have anything to hide sounds a bit draconian to me.
<<

WhiteWolf

Warrior

Post 16 Jul 2013, 08:19

Wait.. Is that possible?

I disagree. It's only hidden from other users anyway, admins (and moderators?) have direct access to the login records. I can see many reasons why normal users might use it, if you have a PM you don't want to answer just yet and don't want the sender to see you've been online (whether or not you get lots of PMs is irrelevant, there are times when you don't want to answer even just one PM). Or maybe you've told people (on TeamSpeak or Skype) that you have to go, but actually you just want to leave the conversation or do your own thing (without sounding rude), and you don't want those people to see that you are still online on the forum. And I'm sure there are other reasons too, they're just the ones I could think of off the top of my head (and they apply to me).

Why should we try to control people so much? If somebody doesn't want other users to know they are online, that's their choice. Saying people shouldn't have anything to hide sounds a bit draconian to me.
Exactly why i wanted to 'appear offline' so people don't expect me to comment or anything. You have to activate the 'hidden status' manually so i often forget to click on it xD~
<<

T*AnTi-V!RuZz

Former Site Admin

Post 16 Jul 2013, 08:56

Every argument here that's "pro-disable status" leans on what other people may think of you. You don't want to answer a PM right away? I'm sure there's a good reason for it, so the person may have to wait a bit longer. Want to leave a TS conversation or do your own thing? What's the problem with saying just that instead of lying?

I don't really understand why you care so much about what other people think of you that you'd want to hide your online status..

Cleaned the topic, enough with the off-topic already.

Return to “General Talk”