Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

Raspberry pi

<<

cdnr1

Post 28 May 2012, 00:15

Raspberry pi

cant some one make knights and merchants for the raspberry pi it needs to be modified to work on arm cpu

raspberry pi specs

System-on-a-chip (SoC):[1] Broadcom BCM2835 (CPU + GPU + SDRAM)
CPU: 700 MHz ARM11 ARM1176JZF-S core
GPU: Broadcom VideoCore IV,OpenGL ES 2.0,OpenVG 1080p30 H.264 high-profile encode/decode
Memory (SDRAM)iB 256 MiB (previously listed as 128MiB for model A, but an upgrade to 256MiB was announced on 29 Feb 2012)
USB 2.0 ports: 1(provided by the BCM2835) 2 (via integrated USB hub)
Video outputs:[1] Composite video|Composite RCA, HDMI (not at the same time)
Audio outputs:[1] TRS connector|3.5 mm jack, HDMI
Audio inputs: none, but a USB mic or sound-card could be added
Onboard Storage: Secure Digital|SD / MMC / SDIO card slot
Onboard Network:[1] None 10/100 wired Ethernet RJ45
Low-level peripherals: General Purpose Input/Output (GPIO) pins, Serial Peripheral Interface Bus (SPI), I²C, I²S[2], Universal asynchronous receiver/transmitter (UART)
Real-time clock:[1] None
Power ratings (provisional, from alpha board): 500mA, (2.5 Watt) [1] 700mA, (3.5 Watt)
Power source:[1] 5V via Micro USB or GPIO header
Size: 85.60mm x 53.98mm[3] (3.370 × 2.125 inch)

it needs to be modified to work on arm cpu
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Yahoo Messenger: lewinlewinhodgman

Post 28 May 2012, 03:40

Re: Raspberry pi

First we need to get it to compile on Linux with Lazarus/FPC. Our panel to render on and OpenGL use is currently Windows dependent. We also use Windows API stuff in a number of places. This can all be fixed but will take a bit of work and we haven't considered it a priority partly because Wine runs the Remake fine.

Using FPC to compile for ARM shouldn't be too hard once it works on x86 Linux. However, I don't think raspberry pi will be able to run KaM. The CPU would probably cope in small to medium games but I don't think the GPU will be able to store all of the sprites which are loaded as textures, and currently use about 200MB of video RAM. We could possibly make a cut down "mobile" version of KaM with some animations and features removed but I don't really know.

Do you have experience with Linux or cross compiling? We would be more than happy to assist you.
Cheers,
Lewin.
<<

cdnr1

Post 28 May 2012, 09:40

Sadly no i have no experience with cross compiling
but you think it is possible
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Yahoo Messenger: lewinlewinhodgman

Post 28 May 2012, 10:21

I think compiling on Linux is definitely possible although it will be a fair bit of work, and is mostly pointless at the moment if the game runs fine under Wine and not many of our users run Linux.
I think running it on raspberry pi is not possible the way the game is now, it uses too much graphics memory (10,000+ sprites). There's no reason why the code wouldn't compile it's just that the hardware wouldn't be able to run it as far as I can tell. It's unfortunate, it would be cool to have KaM on a raspberry pi :)

It's difficult to think of ways to cut down the number of sprites/animations without losing the feel of KaM.

Return to “Feedback / Discussion”