Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

Dutch Speeches

<<

dargonslayer

Blacksmith

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 30 Jul 2012, 12:02

Re: Dutch Speeches

Alright I'm done with the cavalry (dutch = spion)
It is way better than my first unit the militia because of all your tips, thank you for that :D
Here it is: http://speedy.sh/VsYs4/cavalry.rar :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I hope you'll like it :mrgreen:

PS: I think i going to redo some of the militia speeches, because some of them are not good enough (!) (!)
<<

T*AnTi-V!RuZz

Former Site Admin

Post 30 Jul 2012, 15:46

I still think the quality is really bad :(
<<

dargonslayer

Blacksmith

Post 30 Jul 2012, 15:59

and what are the reasons for your comment?? :( :(
And compared with the militia this one is much much better. I did not hit the maximum volume of the recording (sometimes it did but some words dont get lower :mad: )
I used different angle's ( is this the good way to spell the word?) of my microphone and different distances of the mic. I was in a closed room without sound so there is no background sound and some of the speeches have been recorded 10 times until I got a good record.

sorry, i cna't write English very good, I hope you can understand my comment :wink:
<<

Da Revolution

Knight

Post 30 Jul 2012, 16:36

Dargon did you ever play Age of Empires III? You got some Dutch speech there as well, maybe it can help you a bit.
"No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path" - Buddha
<<

T*AnTi-V!RuZz

Former Site Admin

Post 30 Jul 2012, 18:46

and what are the reasons for your comment?? :( :(
And compared with the militia this one is much much better. I did not hit the maximum volume of the recording (sometimes it did but some words dont get lower :mad: )
I used different angle's ( is this the good way to spell the word?) of my microphone and different distances of the mic. I was in a closed room without sound so there is no background sound and some of the speeches have been recorded 10 times until I got a good record.

sorry, i cna't write English very good, I hope you can understand my comment :wink:
Reasons? I really meant the quality. Compare your sound files to existing files from KaM or any other game. It's not really your fault, I just think your microphone isn't fit for recording things like this.
<<

FeyBart

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 30 Jul 2012, 19:22

The main problem is, in my opinion, that you aren't a professional voice actor. The people who did the voices for KaM, are probably (I'm not sure) fairly professional, but you do this in your room. That's a big difference. You should first try and think of a voice you think fits the unit you want to do, then practise it a little, and finally, like Lewin said, do multiple tries for each sound file. And I'm not sure what you're using, but if you aren't using Audacity, you should. You should keep quiet for a few seconds between each try, so it leaves a lot of room for you to cut it. Right now, there are some files in which at the beginning, the words are already being said, if you get what I mean. This may not be a disaster, but it would sound a little awkward when playing the game. Doing the voice acting is harder than you'd think. :wink:

Anyway, I think it's really good that you try doing this. Right now, I fear it wouldn't be good enough to be implemented in the game, but if you keep trying and improving with the tips people give you, like you're doing right now, you'll improve big time. Thanks for trying to improve the game!

~ Bart.
Nice coffee is always nice.
<<

mike 1706

Peasant

Post 02 Aug 2012, 22:26

yea my speeches for the axeman were to soft. i have to record them over again. in audacity they sounded good (the voice is still very different from the voice from the kam unit, thats a disappointment) but when i played the game to test the voices it was certainly not loud hahaha.

ill try them again but i havent got much time this week. ill post them as soon as possible

grtz
<<

mike 1706

Peasant

Post 02 Aug 2012, 22:28

and yea you cant compare dargon and me to the original speeches. those were recorded in a real record room with everything at their disposal. we are new to this and only have a mic and we're doing our best.

but again thanks for the tips you guys ;)
<<

mike 1706

Peasant

Post 02 Aug 2012, 22:31

i will upload the axeman file so you can listen to them if you like. but this is just the test version !! the real one will be done in a few days or so

http://speedy.sh/e3jtT/Bijlman.rar
<<

T*AnTi-V!RuZz

Former Site Admin

Post 02 Aug 2012, 22:52

I think you guys should spend much time on editing the sounds after recording. There are a lot of great audio editing programs out there, and although they're tough to use properly, it can be done. Take some time to get to know your software and what it can do, so you can apply your knowledge on these sounds.

I get the feeling you want things as fast as possible, but that's not necessary. We'd rather you'd spend months and the result is awesome, than trying every day with not a lot of improvement.

I really appreciate the fact that you're trying this, but it's a hard and very complicated job. I just think you underestimated it.
<<

dargonslayer

Blacksmith

Post 08 Jan 2013, 23:06

After a long "break" (University and stuff), i'll give it another try.
I'm going to use Audacity for recording (Not sure if i'm going to edit with it to).
I'll try some stuff out and i'll practice a lot with audacity, because I really want those Dutch voices in KaM.
I'll record some new voices, practice on those records, compare it with each other and the old ones.
I'll hope that i'll get some better results =)
<<

T*AnTi-V!RuZz

Former Site Admin

Post 09 Jan 2013, 09:43

Try doing some research on the internet on how to record vocals the best way. There's a lot of great tips out there, not only for recording, but also for equalizing them afterwards.
<<

FeyBart

Knight

Post 06 Feb 2013, 16:26

So is there any progress on this yet?
<<

dargonslayer

Blacksmith

Post 07 Feb 2013, 13:45

Not much YET.
We have had mulyple weeks of exams so not much happened.
Ive research more abot audacity and trying to record in the coming 2 week
<<

FeyBart

Knight

Post 08 Feb 2013, 06:30

Not much YET.
We have had mulyple weeks of exams so not much happened.
Ive research more abot audacity and trying to record in the coming 2 week
Sound nice. Keep up the good work!

Return to “Feedback / Discussion”