<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Yahoo Messenger: lewinlewinhodgman

Post 16 May 2012, 14:30

Translation of our website

Hi guys,
We are testing a new system that translates our website http://www.kamremake.com. Basically it uses the translation from Google Translator then allows registered users to improve and correct it. You'll notice a new translation selector in the right panel of the site.

If anybody would like to help improve the translations let me know and I'll make you a user.
Also, if your language isn't there yet we can add probably add it, once again just let me know.

Post here and I'll send you a PM with instructions.
We can have multiple translators per language, it shows which text has not been corrected yet.
Cheers,
Lewin.
<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

KaM Skill Level: Veteran

Post 16 May 2012, 14:36

Re: Translation of our website

I'll help with the Dutch translation. :)
<<

dicsoupcan

Moorbach's Guard

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 16 May 2012, 14:54

i also volunteer to help with the dutch translation
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. ~ Winston Churchill
<<

HellRacer

Lance Carrier

Post 16 May 2012, 15:48

I was going to offer my help for the Dutch translation too :)
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Post 16 May 2012, 16:02

Well the Dutch translation should be pretty gosh damn good :P I sent you all PMs.
The good thing about this system is you can all do a small part, so more translators for one language means less text to improve per person :)
<<

Mulberry

Pikeman

Post 16 May 2012, 16:12

I see a lot of mistakes in russian and ukrainian translation. I guese i would help with it in june, after the tournament if you still need it. :wink:
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Post 18 May 2012, 07:14

I've fixed some bugs/problems with the translation plugin and now it doesn't fragment sentences when there is a dot, comma or number. That should make it much easier and faster to create translations, plus you can write it however you like, there's no need to stick to the English sentence structure.
Unfortunately some of the translated text has been lost because of the new format :( I hope the guys who worked on it aren't too upset about that, hopefully you can write it better now that the system has improved.
<<

dicsoupcan

Moorbach's Guard

Post 18 May 2012, 10:21

thanks Lewin, this works better indeed :D
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. ~ Winston Churchill
<<

Kridge

Crossbowman

Post 22 May 2012, 08:45

If you still need help with the dutch translation :P Im here haha. Lots of dutch people here :D.
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Post 22 May 2012, 12:15

You Dutch people are way too plentiful and helpful :P
But still, it's better with more people to maintain it so why not? And a few pages still weren't complete when I last checked.
<<

Siegfried

Knight

Post 22 May 2012, 20:44

How do you plan to maintain this? Is this a one-time job or do you intend to activate all translators each time you write some news? The latter might be very annoying from time to time ;)

If you still need help with the german language, I am willing to help. But as knightsandmerchants.de now has a big KaM Remake section, I think you already have a volunteer for that.
<<

Encaitar

Lance Carrier

Post 22 May 2012, 21:37

Ha, I see that there are a lot of dutch people who are willingly to translate! Hurray for Holland :D.

I just want to remark one thing: Every translation should have the same kind of language. When I did read some text, i noticed that there are differences by using the second-person singular (some 'je', others 'u'). Maybe it is wise to create a standard for such matters.
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Post 23 May 2012, 12:29

How do you plan to maintain this? Is this a one-time job or do you intend to activate all translators each time you write some news? The latter might be very annoying from time to time ;)
The translators can log into http://www.kamremake.com any time they like and work on the translation. So after news is posted hopefully one of our translators will read it and think "hey I can improve the translation". That's why I'm giving out lots of accounts to edit translations, the more people the better really.

The WordPress plugin we are using is called TransPosh. It automatically scans the English text and breaks it up into phrases, then searches for that phrase in the local database. If the phrase exsits, it uses the value from the database. If it does not exist, it fetches the translation from Google Translator and adds it to the database, so for the next person it will already be cached locally.

So if I change a single word on the site somewhere, next time it scans that text it will detect it is a different phrase and download it from Google (and mark it as needing to be checked by someone). The old phrase will be kept in the database but not be used anywhere.
If I write a news post then the entire thing will be scanned and processed when somebody tries to view a translation of it.

Of course this all adds more processing time and I doubt our site could stand up to a really huge number of hits. (e.g. if we got to front page on Redit's gaming section for a while or something) Mind you WordPress isn't the most efficient system at the best of times.

So long story short the maintenance is basically zero ;)
If you still need help with the german language, I am willing to help. But as knightsandmerchants.de now has a big KaM Remake section, I think you already have a volunteer for that.
We have one or two people maintaining the German translation of our site, but it's not complete so I'll make you an account and PM you the instructions. Then you can see how it all works for yourself :)
I just want to remark one thing: Every translation should have the same kind of language. When I did read some text, i noticed that there are differences by using the second-person singular (some 'je', others 'u'). Maybe it is wise to create a standard for such matters.
I guess that's the problem with having multiple translators. I don't think we have stuff like that in English so I don't think about it. The problem could just be that you looked at a bit of the site translated by Google (nobody corrected it yet) and compared it to a bit translated by a human.
<<

Kridge

Crossbowman

Post 23 May 2012, 13:50

I fixed some more grammar and spelling mistakes, mostly caused by the translator...
Anyways, I think Encaitar is right about his point. I totally agree. I didn't change it yet, because atm i dont have time.
<<

dicsoupcan

Moorbach's Guard

Post 23 May 2012, 14:57

well i only use u because the translator mostly uses it. i guess the translator is not mad eto recognize we got multiple words to use for you (you say u to an older person, je to a person your age and jullie if you talk to multiple people for example). if it needs to be changed into je i can do that.

Return to “Feedback / Discussion”