Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

Discussion Dutch Translation

<<

xzaz

Barbarian

Post 01 May 2012, 15:08

Discussion Dutch Translation

Hi their,

I would like to keep the discussion central for the Dutch translation, first point:

The dicission if you want to destroy a building is not clear, Vernietigen and Afbreken is really the same. Afbreken has to be changed to 'Annuleren' or something similar.
<<

Da Revolution

Knight

Post 01 May 2012, 16:27

Re: Discussion Dutch Translation

Annuleren would be better indeed
"No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path" - Buddha
<<

HellRacer

Lance Carrier

Post 01 May 2012, 16:59

I also think you're right.
<<

xzaz

Barbarian

Post 01 May 2012, 17:37

So the text will be:
  Code:
Wilt u het gebouw werkelijk vernietigen?
And the buttons:
  Code:
Vernietigen (Destroy the building) Annuleren (Cancel the job)
<<

dicsoupcan

Moorbach's Guard

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 01 May 2012, 17:44

you are right, but you cannot blame them for it, the original game also had vernietigen and afbreken. :3
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. ~ Winston Churchill
<<

xzaz

Barbarian

Post 01 May 2012, 17:54

you are right, but you cannot blame them for it, the original game also had vernietigen and afbreken. :3
True, i'm not blaming anyone, we are here to improve the game ;)
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Yahoo Messenger: lewinlewinhodgman

Post 01 May 2012, 22:00

I've changed it to what xzaz suggested. If anyone disagrees please post here, I know nothing about Dutch :P
The hint when you hover over the "Vernietigen" button currently says: "Vernietig gekozen gebouw" Is that correct? (in English it says "Destroy selected building")
<<

Da Revolution

Knight

Post 01 May 2012, 22:02

Thats correct
"No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path" - Buddha
<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

KaM Skill Level: Veteran

Post 01 May 2012, 23:33

If anyone disagrees please post here[/quote]

I think it's impossible to disagree. 'Afbreken' and 'vernietigen' have the same meaning so it's a ridiculous translation. :P
<<

Encaitar

Lance Carrier

Post 02 May 2012, 22:14

Maybe for those who are interested how this 'mistake' could be made, here's a explanation. The word 'afbreken' in Dutch has two meanings. It can mean 'break down' or 'cancel'. The original KaM translators chose to translate 'cancel' with 'afbreken', not aware of the fact somewhere in the game you have to choose between 'Vernietigen (destroy)' and 'Afbreken (break down / cancel)'. The player easily reads the question wrong, thinking the option is either to destroy the building or to break down the building.

N.B. 'Annuleren' also means 'cancel', it's just a synonymous to 'afbreken' (but has only one meaning, opposed to 'afbreken')
<<

xzaz

Barbarian

Post 03 May 2012, 15:33

Next to that, Afbreken is a nice word for breaking down a house. Vernietigen is taking a missile and level the whole place to the ground. You got to love the Dutch language :p
<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

KaM Skill Level: Veteran

Post 03 May 2012, 16:30

The word 'afbreken' in Dutch has two meanings. It can mean 'break down' or 'cancel'. The original KaM translators chose to translate 'cancel' with 'afbreken'
I've never seen it being used as 'cancel' though... I think 'afbreken' is a bad translation over all. If you would have to translate the word 'cancel' to Dutch, I bet you wouldn't have chosen 'afbreken'. ;)
Next to that, Afbreken is a nice word for breaking down a house. Vernietigen is taking a missile and level the whole place to the ground. You got to love the Dutch language :p
Agreed. 'Afbreken' sounds like it's meant to be destroyed in a more or less regulated way, while 'vernietigen' is more like destroying something in a violent manner. In that aspect, maybe the translations should be 'afbreken' and 'annuleren' rather than 'vernietigen' and 'annuleren'?
<<

xzaz

Barbarian

Post 03 May 2012, 16:47

The word 'afbreken' in Dutch has two meanings. It can mean 'break down' or 'cancel'. The original KaM translators chose to translate 'cancel' with 'afbreken'
I've never seen it being used as 'cancel' though... I think 'afbreken' is a bad translation over all. If you would have to translate the word 'cancel' to Dutch, I bet you wouldn't have chosen 'afbreken'. ;)
Agreed. 'Afbreken' sounds like it's meant to be destroyed in a more or less regulated way, while 'vernietigen' is more like destroying something in a violent manner. In that aspect, maybe the translations should be 'afbreken' and 'annuleren' rather than 'vernietigen' and 'annuleren'?
I thought about that, but you really see the ruin of the building when you destroy it. Vernietigen makes more sense for me in this situation.
<<

Thorakh

Recruit

Post 03 May 2012, 16:53

I vote for 'elimineer gebouw'!
<<

xzaz

Barbarian

Post 03 May 2012, 17:53

I vote for 'elimineer gebouw'!
eli·mi·ne·ren -neerde, h geëlimineerd verwijderen; uitschakelen
I still prefer vernietigen. Elimineren is more for a person, like: 'Die persoon is geeliminieerd'

The English language does the same, the question is: Do you really want to demolish this building. The choices are Destroy and Cancel not Demolish and Cancel... :s

Return to “Feedback / Discussion”