MP map descriptions

<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Yahoo Messenger: lewinlewinhodgman

Post 17 Feb 2012, 06:21

MP map descriptions

If you follow us on Twitter or Facebook you will have noticed that we now have a minimap preview in the lobby:
http://i.imgur.com/ibjzp.jpg

This means most of the written descriptions have become redundant, since you can see most of the information from the preview (such as suggested teams) I have therefore started writing descriptions for maps which did not have one, in the style of The Dark Lord's descriptions for his maps:
Warfare in the Wilderness: Fight your way through these untamed and uninhabited lands where even courageous adventurers have not yet been.
Enter the Heat: The rivers have dried up and the only water in the region is a small oasis. You need the water to save your city, but others lurk to take the oasis for themselves. Unfortunately there is not enough for everyone...
Here are the descriptions I created:
Across the Desert: Pursue your enemies across the wide open desert
Ambushed: Prepare your massive army for an epic battle in an open valley.
Atoll: Encircle your enemies around the lagoon in the middle of a sandy island.
Battle for Coal: Scouts have discovered a rich coal seam. The one who captures it shall reap the rewards.
Battle in the Ruined City: Maneuver your soldiers around the ruins of a city and use the obstacles to your advantage
Blood River: Build your Empire, equip your army, and let the rivers run red with blood
Borderlands: The border between four countries is a dangerous and wild place with much fertile land and valueable resources to fight over.
PLEASE feel free to suggest better descriptions than these.

Of course if the author already provided a description I've used that.
While I'm at it I'm standardising the author credit, so it says: "Made by XXX" at the end of the description, or "Original map from Knights and Merchants The Shattered Kingdom" if it is an original.

Now the reason that I'm posting about it here is because I'd like your help: My creativeness for titles began to dwindle and my time is probably better spent programming than thinking up descriptions. So please post descriptions for maps here in a similar style to the examples and we'll use them. Doesn't matter if your grammar isn't perfect, I can fix it up. Remember that the players will be looking at the minimap, so there is no need to describe features of the map such as "teams start of opposite sides of the rivers".
If you are the author of any of these maps, I would obviously prefer you to write the description than anyone else.

Here is the list of maps we need descriptions for:
All of the descriptions have been written! Thanks to everyone who helped.

I will remove the maps from this list when descriptions are created.
<<

caykroyd

Crossbowman

Post 17 Feb 2012, 21:21

Re: MP map descriptions

@ Lewin, I still have to think on a description for my map Stranded, but as for "Frozen Canyons", that hasn't been released yet, if it is released, i would like the following desc, or something similar. :mrgreen:
Winter comes strong. Deep snow capes the mountain tops and covers vast fields in the mountain villages, though this time the folk are prepared, and a large harvest was stocked. Nevertheless, fertile lands are little enough: it is not to be shared with some mere intruder in this time of year. Prepare thy arms!
For "Between Rivers" I thought of something like this:
The clans of the east and west have come to charge the blood dept owed by crown. Will the tribes shove aside their ancient eneminity to destroy the common goal? Or will they cross the rivers that have laid between them for centuries to fight amongst themselves?
What do you think??
Are they too long?? I couldn't think of any good description that is short as the Dark lord's ones you showed.
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Post 18 Feb 2012, 06:03

Thanks caykroyd! I made a few little changes to the Frozen Canyons description you wrote, I hope you don't mind: (I also included the hint that was there previously)
The land is plunged into a bitterly cold winter. Deep snow capes the mountain tops and covers vast fields in the mountain villages, though this time the folk are prepared, and a large harvest was stocked. Nevertheless, fertile lands are scarce enough, and are not to be shared with some mere intruder at this time of year. Prepare thy arms!
Hint: Woodcutters will only plant on dirty snow terrain.
Is Between Rivers finished? I don't have it in the project map folder. When it is you can send all the files at once with that description.

The length is fine, there is a scrollbar so it can be quite long.
If you'd like to make up some descriptions for other maps in the list I'd be grateful, you seem to be good at it :)
<<

caykroyd

Crossbowman

Post 18 Feb 2012, 15:07

Thank you for the compliments! I suppose my creative skills improved because i'm writing a book :P
The description to "frozen rivers" is very good, thanks for the modifications.

I will think about other descriptions and post them if they are good enough :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

Garnu_Thorn

Rogue

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Yahoo Messenger: garnuthorn

Post 19 Feb 2012, 03:32

Winter comes strong. Deep snow capes the mountain tops and covers vast fields in the mountain villages, though this time the folk are prepared, and a large harvest was stocked. Nevertheless, fertile lands are little enough: it is not to be shared with some mere intruder in this time of year. Prepare thy arms!
The clans of the east and west have come to charge the blood dept owed by crown. Will the tribes shove aside their ancient eneminity to destroy the common goal? Or will they cross the rivers that have laid between them for centuries to fight amongst themselves?
" deep snow *caps* the mountain tops", and "to charge the blood *debt* owed by crown"

Thought I'd make those corrections, no offense to the errors, though, just wanted to make sure the spelling works.
<<

caykroyd

Crossbowman

Post 19 Feb 2012, 14:46

" deep snow *caps* the mountain tops", and "to charge the blood *debt* owed by crown"

Thought I'd make those corrections, no offense to the errors, though, just wanted to make sure the spelling works.
LOL, thanks a lot, i missed those errors.
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Post 20 Feb 2012, 09:55

I fixed the mistakes, thanks Garnu_Thorn :)
If you update Between Rivers let me know, for now I have that version. I tweaked the description slightly:
The clans of the east and west have come to charge the blood debt owed by the crown. Will the tribes put aside their differences to destroy their common foe? Or will they cross the rivers that have laid between them for centuries to fight amongst themselves?
<<

Kirelareus

Sword Fighter

KaM Skill Level: Veteran

Post 20 Feb 2012, 10:20

Atoll: Encircle your enemies around the lagoon in the middle of a sandy island.
Good description. Thanks
R.A - power in unity!
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Post 04 Mar 2012, 08:46

I was hoping more people would help me with this...
I guess most people speak English as a second language so don't feel confident writing descriptions, but remember that I'll correct any mistakes you make.

Anyway if you feel like helping, take a look at the first post and think up some descriptions for the maps in the list.
Lewin.
<<

Garnu_Thorn

Rogue

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Yahoo Messenger: garnuthorn

Post 04 Mar 2012, 19:20

Here's a few!
"Castle Slaughter"
Thine storehouse is stocked. The walls are defended. Build your army from this and we shall see who is victor!
"Bridge Disaster"
Nestled each the villages with ample land but scant ore. Defend what you have with the narrow passages to town and expect to fight over each others metal resource!
"Mountainous Region"
Amidst towering mountain-scape, you alone or with an ally must face equal odds to win. A private battle in which the lords/ladies will decide who gets claim to the plains of the valley.
"Border Rivers"
Troubled times, thy disputes on the table. Open ground, waiting for blood, hopefully not of thee. The mountains, here and there, awaiting, always waiting. And the river, teaming with life, to watch death.
These are the only maps I have bearing with. If I get the hang of others, perhaps I'll create other descriptions.
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Post 04 Mar 2012, 23:07

Thank you :)
I changed Bridge Disaster slightly, hope you don't mind:
Nestled lie the villages with ample land but scant ore. Defend what you have with the narrow passages to your town and prepare to fight over each other's mineral resources!
<<

Encaitar

Lance Carrier

Post 05 Mar 2012, 17:46

I shall give it a try:
Lake Wololo: The sound of war shall sound once more. East and West shall clash upon the bridge that spans a lake.
Oasis Struggle: Deep within the desert minerals can be found to win a war. But more importantly, the oasis, to bring life in the sands.
Wilderness: It has claimed many lives, this fearsome wasteland. But yet the land is immense fertile, beyond imagination. Let us claim this land as ours!
Cross: An island divided in four. In the middle a holy stone and trees. Four parties, fighting to get the upperhand. Who shall slay all and gain victory by sword, spear and bow?
Correct any mistake, please! I tried to make those sentences sound 'poem-like', but that's hard to do as English is my second language.
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Post 05 Mar 2012, 21:55

I tweaked them all slightly:
Lake Wololo: The sound of war shall sound once more. East and West shall clash upon the mighty bridge that spans the lake.
Oasis Struggle: Deep within the desert minerals can be found to win a war. The great oasis brings life to the otherwise uninhabitable sands, and fighting for it shall surely be a matter of life and death!
Wilderness: It has claimed many lives, this fearsome wasteland. But yet the land is immensely fertile, beyond imagination. Let us take this land as ours!
Cross: An island divided in four. In the middle a sacred stone in a grove of trees. Four parties, fighting to get the upperhand. Who shall slay all and gain victory by sword, spear and bow?
Cheers,
Lewin.
<<

Krom

Knights Province Developer

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 29 Mar 2012, 12:17

What about other maps descriptions, are there any left to update?
Knights Province at: http://www.knightsprovince.com
KaM Remake at: http://www.kamremake.com
Original MBWR/WR2/AFC/FVR tools at: http://krom.reveur.de
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Post 29 Mar 2012, 14:45

What about other maps descriptions, are there any left to update?
Just these ones, as shown in my first post:
Kaderto
Rocky Coast
Snow Cross
Stranded

If someone has suggestions let me know, otherwise I'll do it when I have the time.
I have all of the .txt files under MapsMP modified, I'm planning to commit them when I have them all done. (so I can easily see which ones I've fixed from the ones that are modified) So please don't edit anything in that folder ;)
Lewin.

Return to “Feedback / Discussion”